• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone please explain:
How is it that the great Allen Edmonds shoe company currently has no leather soled straight tip cap toe derbys (in a dressy leather)?????

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone happen to have the AE Bitter Chocolate belt? The pix I'm seeing read all over the place on color - would like to see a real-world pic.

It looks like it reads a little mre dark gray with brown than pure brown. At least I'm hoping that is the case...

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Someone please explain:
How is it that the great Allen Edmonds shoe company currently has no leather soled straight tip cap toe derbys (in a dressy leather)?????

Yorktown, First Ave, Lexington.

Ok, so the first is brogued, the second is a boot, and the third is only in limited availability on the Shoebank.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yorktown, First Ave, Lexington.

Ok, so the first is brogued, the second is a boot, and the third is only in limited availability on the Shoebank.

Thank you for literally PROVING my point! Lol

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone happen to have the AE Bitter Chocolate belt? The pix I'm seeing read all over the place on color - would like to see a real-world pic.

It looks like it reads a little mre dark gray with brown than pure brown. At least I'm hoping that is the case...

Assuming your talking about suede, are you sure you are not looking at Bitter Chocolate and "Brogue". I find the colors a little confusing. When did "Brogue" become a color??? ITS NOT IN THE CRAYOLA BOX!!!

feeble

Reaction score

They look amazing in the sun. Still need to try Bick or VSC to take care of a couple dry spots.
It's largely a matter of personal taste, but dark chili totally goes with grey, even charcoal. Maybe not the originally chili, but I think unless you're in a wedding or job interview you will be just fine.

I agree, I also wouldn't hesitate at all wearing dark chili with a navy suit.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for literally PROVING my point! Lol

Oh! And the ATL, which is a Road Warrior shoe with a rubber sole.

And I wondered why I want to order a Bradford from Crockett & Jones. AE has a surprising number of gaps among its basic shoe models. No shortwing blucher, no toe-cap blucher, no alt Wien. But if you want two dozen penny/tassel/kiltie/tassel-kiltie/woven penny/woven tassel-kiltie loafer options, there's no better company!

To be fair, aside from a personal dislike for kilties, I like that they bring out similar styles on different lasts, but I'd rather they not pretend it's an entirely different model. Just have two penny variants available across a range of lasts. Especially with basic staples like the Park Ave. No reason I shouldn't be able to get a black cap-toe bal on any last I damn well please.

Last edited:

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh! And the ATL, which is a Road Warrior shoe with a rubber sole.

And I wondered why I want to order a Bradford from Crockett & Jones. AE has a surprising number of gaps among its basic shoe models. No shortwing blucher, no toe-cap blucher, no alt Wien. But if you want two dozen penny/tassel/kiltie/tassel-kiltie/woven penny/woven tassel-kiltie loafer options, there's no better company!

To be fair, aside from a personal dislike for kilties, I like that they bring out similar styles on different lasts, but I'd rather they not pretend it's an entirely different model. Just have two penny variants available across a range of lasts. Especially with basic staples like the Park Ave. No reason I shouldn't be able to get a black cap-toe bal on any last I damn well please.

I'm with you man

alexnb

Reaction score

I have it. It matches their Bitter chocolate shoes perfectly.

It is very deep brown -- definitely not a light brown, and frankly isn't even close to "brogue" suede. Really only a good match for very dark brown suede.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming your talking about suede, are you sure you are not looking at Bitter Chocolate and "Brogue". I find the colors a little confusing. When did "Brogue" become a color??? ITS NOT IN THE CRAYOLA BOX!!!

Yup - suede - forgot to mention that
crazy.gif
. I hadn't seen the brogue suede - almost seems like an AE-edition autocorrect...

I have it. It matches their Bitter chocolate shoes perfectly.

It is very deep brown -- definitely not a light brown, and frankly isn't even close to "brogue" suede. Really only a good match for very dark brown suede.

I'm trying to find something that matches Alden's chocolate suede

I'm not worried about an exact match, but the flatter tone and grayer color don't seem very common, and I don't want a shouty brown (like the "brogue suede"). I'll just stick with my CXL belt (Sun River natural CXL).if nothing pops up...

Searched around a fair bit - would appreciate any input/leads

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm trying to find something that matches Alden's chocolate suede

I'm not worried about an exact match, but the flatter tone and grayer color don't seem very common, and I don't want a shouty brown (like the "brogue suede").  I'll just stick with my CXL belt (Sun River natural CXL).if nothing pops up...

Searched around a fair bit - would appreciate any input/leads

Here's mine; this is pretty accurate wrt color:

And some appreciation:

Just the shoes that are getting polished this weekend.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone on AE's website was commenting on the Carlyle and complained that edge of the collar around the shoe wasn't capped off like on the picture. IOW, the edge was unfinished. AE's response was essentially, "that's the way we do it know since folks like casual things."

Anyone notice this on recently purchased Carlyles? It would be a deal breaker for me.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And some appreciation:

Just the shoes that are getting polished this weekend.
That's a nice, well rounded collection (minus some walnut!), are those chili (or burg?) Lexingtons on the bottom left?

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gonna hit 80 degrees today and snow on Tuesday. Utah is weird. Summer look with sockless suede Strands. (say that 5 times fast)

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Someone on AE's website was commenting on the Carlyle and complained that edge of the collar around the shoe wasn't capped off like on the picture. IOW, the edge was unfinished. AE's response was essentially, "that's the way we do it know since folks like casual things."

Anyone notice this on recently purchased Carlyles? It would be a deal breaker for me.

They're moving away from piping and toward unfinished top lines. Look at the independence collection. No piping on any of the models. Me no like.

That's a nice, well rounded collection (minus some walnut!), are those chili (or burg?) Lexingtons on the bottom left?

Thanks! Only walnut I have is a Rutledge; I was thinking about picking up Strands from Bloomingdale's during this sale, but I'm on the fence since I already have a Strand in brown and want one in shell. The Lexingtons are burgundy; I MTO'd them with a Dainite sole before they were offering that as a stock option.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics