1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M2511

M2511 Senior member

9D was too restrictive and 8.5EEE didn't work did you try 9E possibly 9EE? I wouldn't go up from 9 to 9.5 sounds like you'd have a ton of extra space up front.

2. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

OK, originally you said 8EEE, that's why I asked about the 8.5. If you are feeling the restriction at the tip of your pinky toe, then the shoe is likely too short. If you are cramped in the ball of your foot, then the shoe is likely too narrow. If your foot is flat in the first picture, there is definitely too much volume across the top of your foot in the 9E. How long did you try the 9D? Did you break it in at all?

I would try and get measured again on a brannock after you've done some of your own homework on how to get an accurate reading. If you want, even snap some pics of your feet and post them here for us to help.

Also, in that pic you sent of the park avenues, it looks like you are wearing some mighty thick socks compared to what I wear with my dress shoes. Did you try the 9D wearing standard dress socks?

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  3. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

Huh? So he said that MTO only means changing the color of shell on an existing shell shoe? When I was there this weekend I specifically used the words "any shoe to shell MTO program."

I might have to ask Paul directly for the details...

4. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Yea I was a bit confused too. Please do. I was ready to place a order with him too.

I wanted the corns or Leiden, I guess we will see now.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  5. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Seeing no one answered this, I'll give my 2 cents.

I only recommend stretching if you cannot wear the shoes because they are too tight and I'm assuming you cannot return them. It can damage / permanently change in an undesirable way if you do it too much (or so I've been told by AE sales people), so you might want to purchase a device of your own and gently and slowly stretch them little by little. It sounds like your in a position where you need to, so I think you'll be okay if you use caution.

I've had only one of my shoes stretched and it doesn't look deformed or bad in any way, yet they stretched it only a little bit.

6. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I don't remember exactly. Pretty sure the were sub $200. I want to say $169. I thought about them, but none in my size deccided for me.

7. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I don't know wether they are tied or not. Going by the way their store inventory is set up, I'm guessing: oh hell no.

8. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

Ouch, if you see any pop up that I miss please post to let me know. Would buy instantly. The color of those look awesome.

1 person likes this.
  9. shades9323

shades9323 Well-Known Member

I think you are reading that wrong. His toe isn't a half inch from the end, it is a half in past where the cap starts. The shoes, imo are too long. I don't find the 5 last tts at all. They are long and narrow for me. I normally wear a 9d, but needed 8e in the 5 last. I might just be weird though#

10. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

11. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Does anyone have a pair of Eglins? They look like tan (maybe cognac) McTavish except captoe vs wings. Is there much difference here? I like them but seems like they would fill the same roll.

12. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@gotribe You're fighting the 65 last, drastically screwing up the length to compensate for high arch and closing the vgap. Why continue to punish yourself? Check out the 201 before proceeding.

2 people like this.
  13. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@ace13x I saw two pairs of gray long branch at bcf get down to like $40 before they disappeared. I also remember passing on first quality gray McTavish from AE directly for 117 (don't comment on that second item, still sore about it).

14. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Walnut Park Aves on NR are also gone now. Didn't take long for those to go at $199...

15. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

157 for both?? You couldn't take my money fast enough.

16. DeathandTaxes

DeathandTaxes Well-Known Member

I have the Elgins in waxy tan in 10E, Rush Streets in golden brown Chromexcel with Dainite soles in 10D, and pairs of McTavish in both cognac and brown distressed (and black) in 10D and find they all serve different roles (I just added a few more for your consideration and comparison).

I like to think of the Elgin as a more casual strand, due to the style and the color being much more like a darker walnut than it is anything like the cognac McTavish. As the Elgins are made of a different type of leather, they take on more character over time and I have probably received more compliments on them than all of my pairs of McTavish combined (and I likely wear the Elgins least frequently).

Also, although all of the shoes are on the 65 last I found the sizing to be different, with the McTavish running the largest, followed by the Rush Street (which has some stretch due to the material) and then the Elgin (hence the size up in width in the Elgin). I do find that all of these do fit larger than their 65 last dress welt counterparts.

I find room in my closet for many shoes some may call similar, but these I find to be distinct and great shoes that I wear with anything spanning dark denim to a sport coat and tie. It also probably doesn't hurt that my 3 favorite Allen Edmonds models are all versions of a tan: the Rush Street, the Elgin, and the Rutledge.

17. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Well, I swung by the Mebane, NC AE Outlet/Shoebank and tried on some 11.5D Warwicks in the Brooks Brothers Dark Chili Burnished color...

...and they're too tight. I guess the 1-last isn't much better for a higher instep - they're tight across the top just in front of the strap :( They had a 12 and there's just too much heel slip. No "E" in Brooks styles and based on my experience with the Rush St an "E" might not solve it anyway (which is why I'm selling the Rust Sts.) - not loving the AE colors (Oxblood and Walnut) anyway.

Dang.

18. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Filthy barnweasels.

Just pulled the trigger on two pairs. I had been thinking of saving for a pair of Alden Indy boots, but that just went right out the door!

2 people like this.
  19. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

That's when I got mine!! Such a great clearance sale. I got Amoks too for a similar price.

20. ZheNewYork

ZheNewYork Well-Known Member

You're right. I didn't read it correctly...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.