Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

@M635Guy @ace13x. My head asplode. These cognacs are all over the place!! Can't wait to see your pic of all three. It's looking like if we put all of ours together, no two would be alike...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016

2. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I sent them back. They fit well, and this is hard to describe, but I felt unsteady walking around the house in them. I think it may have been the relative softness of the Dainite on these. It was the first time I tried a dainite shoe, so I guess that was it. My v-tread Bleeckers are rock steady.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016

3. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

I know what you mean. I have two Dainites, and I guess I take the rubber for granted. I've come close to breaking my ass several times.

4. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Moose, I hope the Cornwallises work for you; it is a beautiful shoe. That said, based on your preferred lasts, perhaps don't get your hopes up. Like you, the 333 fits me like a glove after break-in. The 201 is perfect out of the box, and the 108 works for me as well. The 65 is tricky - I have to go up a width and then get lucky with sample variation. For my foot, the 1943 was shorter, narrower, and lower volume than the 65, which is shorter, narrower, and lower volume than the 333. I've seen the supposed relationship between 333 and 1943 as well, but other than chisel toes, I don't get it.

For me, AE lasts go something like:
    1. 333
    2. 108
    3. 201 (the top 3 are all pretty close)
    4. 511 (some variation here, dalton is good but Leeds a bit short)
    6. 65 (can get it to work by going up a width and getting love right sample, bals better than bluchers)
    97. 1943

Everybody is different, of course - I seem to remember pepper disliking the 108, but obviously the 511 works for him. I hope the Cornwallis works for you, but I was never able to find a 1943 that worked. If MTO was still alive, I'd be all over a Cornwallis on the 333. Audible sigh. Has me wondering about fit of C&J...

5. danwatts2005

[​IMG]

Here's a take on the recent Cognac color discussion. It makes me feel like maybe I'm a bit redundant. Mine are pretty close to Chili McAllister.

6. 22busy

22busy Senior member

+1

7. robster35

robster35 Senior member

the one on the left is the dark brown cognac?

8. danwatts2005

Yes. In that light, very similar to Dark Chili.

9. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

@jet-stream That's what worries me. They described the last as based on the 333, but then I hear from others like you that it's smaller, which can't be possible. It has to be one or the other, right? One person mentioned that it was full enough in the forefoot, but now you've got it less full than the 5 last...

I'm guessing either sample variation, instep difference, or whoever said it was based on the 333 last was straight up misinformed. Or a combination of all of the above.

Anyway, I have a little room in the forefoot on the 333 last. The 65 problems I have are entirely from instep pulling the upper up so the sides squeeze in and crush my forefoot. It'll be interesting to see what the new last is like for that, even if they end up too small and go back.

I'd totally say "screw it" but I'm getting whatever I order (priced up to $385) for half price -- I think the original Thanksgiving sale price was about $195. That seems like an awesome deal, though it is surprisingly hard to choose something to fit that hole.

This all started with me trying got get a dark brown punch toe, so I'm still trying to get brown and somewhat conservative, but not TOO boring. Something I'd wear with khaki or slacks. Alas, it is surprisingly hard to find anything to my taste, even with such broad criteria. If I search for 201, 222, and 108 lasts, I get some chili monk straps on the 201 last, and the brown captoe double monks. Carlyle (boring), Del Rey (Don't want a split toe or bicycle toe), and Overlords (totally NOT the same). Thus the gamble on the new last.

Who knows. If the 1943 doesn't fit, maybe I can give them some extra money and they'll let me upgrade to a Merlot Jefferson or dark brown Hopkinson. My customer service rep has started to take pity on me of late. If I've tested her patience too much, I'll probably just get overlords and be done with it.

10. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

This! I always wondered about that, since I'm usually the one with unusually small feet. But in AE I actually have to wear a size to a size and a half bigger than the shoes I wore before. Really weird.

11. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

As I've gotten further into the "shoe world", I realized that I was wearing shoes that were too big, so I went from mainly wearing 12s to 11s. Just noticing that most ppl on this forum are 8-9s, which surprised me a little bit.

12. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

I have sasquatch feet - 12 EEE

13. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

I wore the equivalent of 7 1/2 to 8 in Europe (40-41) for ages. When I tried that with my first AE it made my feet hurt quite a bit. I ended up going with 9 for regular shoes and my Sauk Drive are actually in 9.5. Oh and I'm a EEE too :)

14. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I wear an 11 in Nikes and Adidas, which is like 7 on the Brannock.[​IMG]

15. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I've recently noticed that there are at least three of us who wear a 13B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.