Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gm928

gm928 Senior member

2. M2511

M2511 Senior member

They look great. I'm usually a 9.5e on the 65 last as the D width is a little tight but I think unlined they will be perfect. I look forward to wearing them!

3. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I went back the store where I was sold an incorrect size and had success asking for an exchange.

Did you buy them in your brannock size? How are you lacing them?

4. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

They are on sale at BB, so that explains the difference. I got mine for $150 from BB some time ago during another sale, but at that point, the availability of sizes was very limited.

5. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Thanks. FWIW, AE calf bals on the 65 in size 8D are too big on me. I went with 8D in these and they are fine. Go figure... I find BB versions have less volume because of the lining and the insole. Hopefully it works out for you.

6. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

My problem is that I "figured" out my size without the help of an SA so there's no one to blame but myself.

A friend of mine had a Strand in 8.5E. I tried it on and it felt pretty good but a tad narrow so I ordered a pair in 8.5EE and it felt great. I measured myself on a print out of the PDF Brannock and I was an 8E (the 2nd E right before EE though so going up to EE made sense for a balmoral on the 65).

I did order an 8EE to compare but it felt too short to my inexperienced "real" shoe wearing feet so I returned it and kept the 8.5EE and here we are. I'm using criss cross lacing at the moment.

7. Raibeart Bruis

Raibeart Bruis Member

Shoe newbie here. I have the PA in brown and the Fifth Avenue in black. I would like a more casual shoe that is a little more "flashy". What is the consensus on the Carlyle in walnut calf? I think the bold color would balance out the simple styling.

I've read that getting an ornate shoe (e.g. McAllister) in a dark color is a fashion faux pas, so what about a simple shoe in a light color?

8. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I'm certainly not an expert, but in my experience it sounds like the 8.5EE could be too wide for you. When I think of a shoe being too long, I think of the toe feeling flimsy. If you lace them up it should theoretically lock your foot into place so that no front to back sliding can occur. Were those 8.5Es broken in? How does the v-gap look?

I would try bar lacing with the underneath criss cross, as this might snug the fit up some and keep your foot from sliding. Also, I would find some place nearby with a brannock device and get your measurement. If you are unsure of results, post pics here and we can help.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  9. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

In the walnut, I'd rank them Strand, McAllister and then the Carlyle. Although SLCRich's Walnut Wednesday from today has be salivating over his Walnut McAllisters.

Perhaps look at a chili/oxblood shoe. The Carlyle looks fantastic in oxblood, as does the Strand.

If you consider the McAllister in dark brown or black a fashion faux pas because you are essentially trying to dress up a casual shoe by making it dark color, wouldn't the inverse of that be a lighter colored full cut bal like a Carlyle?

10. Lawite

Lawite New Member

Other than the sole and price, are there any differences between Brooks Brothers AE shoes or the regular AE versions (quality, etc)?

11. gm928

gm928 Senior member

The Brooks versions sometimes have Poron insoles.

12. BG 7

BG 7 Well-Known Member

Late to the Walnut Wednesday party and breaking the rules by wearing these two days in a row but I couldn't resist

[​IMG]

13. feeble

feeble Active Member

No problem the color goes well with tan khaki and blue jeans as well.

14. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Are those 11 Ds as well? I also have a pair of bourbon Strands for sale! [​IMG]

15. Raibeart Bruis

Raibeart Bruis Member

That's just what I've read on this forum and others. I think the idea is that a darker color hides the details and embellishments (although I've seen a black McAllister in person and it looks great).

I have a feeling the Strand will be too flashy for my taste. But I really like the oxblood Carlyle. I'll think it over. My worst fear is getting a shoe that I'll be too self-conscious to wear (I'm in a very conservative profession).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.