1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSingh1975

SSingh1975 Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  2. bishopcraiga

bishopcraiga Well-Known Member

Made a stop into the St Louis store this afternoon intending to try on the Cornwallis and a Cavanaugh but being a EEE, I obviously struck out. Only things available in EEE were Park Avenues, a Grayson, and something casual that wasn't specified. SA was sympathetic and did offer to have sizes available for try on the next time I'm in town, but that doesn't really happen often or with a lot of advance planning. I guess I'll just have to a shoe bank and online customer only. Seems a shame when one of the best reasons to be an AE customer is the sheer breadth of size and width options

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

No, it's the sheepskin lining. There is a cushion but not poron.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  4. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Two questions:
    1. Is the $125 in addition to any SMU changes? That is, if I ask for non-standard shell with a lug sole, Indy lining, and natural welt is the upcharge $235?
    2. If so, what welt/insole/sole options are they using for shell as a standard? I assume brown welt for brown, black for black and burgundy, leather lining/insoles, and JR soles.

5. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

So if I want the shell Cornwallis with independence insole it would be $658 with the 15% off

6. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Thanks. I am going to contact the store and ask them about the sole. I'm not in a hurry to buy anything right now, but I will consider these. I've worn Timberland's and other shoes but they caused me a lot of foot pain, but I'm honestly not sure why.

Off topic, I saw this yesterday and thought some might be interested in the Park Aves on NR. Only $199.

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/...xford-multiple-widths-available?color=WALNUT#

7. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

A picture that I posted a while back in the old A-E thread.......

Crossing a stream while hiking wearing Ridgeways, which have Vibram lug soles and orange reverse split welts, stitching, and laces to help hunters tell the difference between my feet and a moose's feet.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

Those are beautiful Roycru!

1 person likes this.
  9. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

1) Yes, the $125 doesn't include SMU changes such as sole/welt/insole/size. Linings aren't an SMU option from what I've been told.

2) JR soles and leather insoles are standard for shell, and I assume the edge color and welt are the same as on the non-shell version of the shoe (assuming the shell is the same color as a non-shell offering). If the shell color is different from what's offered on the non-shell version, they probably use what's standard on other shoes in that shell color.

$692.75 by my math (0.85 * ($650 shoe + $125 MTO shell fee + $40 insole change fee)).

And dang it! Why'd you remind me that I've been wanting a pair of shell Cornwallises! Now I feel like I forgot something in my order today... I wonder if I can find a 1943 last size that fits me... OTOH, I can always wait for the Stanford/Palo Alto AE store to open up in July and place my MTO order for that then... lol

10. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

That's a beautiful picture, but I have to warn you. Most hunters don't check out their game's laces before pulling the trigger.

2 people like this.
  11. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Thanks! And the good news is, a MTO First Avenue will come in right around the cost for a shell Dalton. I wonder if they'd throw a double sole on it or if I'd be better off giving it a lug for more badassery.

Now to choose between that, a Cornwallis, a Yorktown, or a Fifth Street. Paging @polojock615 to remind me how nice the burgundy shell Cornwallis is :D

12. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

Ordered some Neumoks in blue today. Had a $50 credit coming my way from the lowered clearance price on the Sturgis right after i bought mine....so why not? :D

Chili 5ths from the anniversary sale should arrive monday. Pics in daylight provided they arrive before dark, Inshallah.

13. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

A lug sole and storm welt would make it pretty rugged.

Now the simple answer to the second question is to get all three! If need be, you can get one now with the First Ave, and the other two when the next AE store opens in July!

1 person likes this.
  14. mosy

mosy Senior member

Some Tassel Loafer assistance please:

1) Are tassel loafers considered appropriate to wear with a suit in a setting that does not require the strictest formal attire?

2) If so, whih shoe is more appropriate, the Grayson, or something more like Alden's tassel loafer?

3) Do most size down from their Park Ave size to the Grayson?

Thanks in advance!

15. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

Quote: In the US moreso than elsewhere. However, even many in the US will advise against it. Personally, I'll wear loafers with an odd jacket and trousers all day, but not a suit.

Quote: Tossup, as to formality IMO.

Quote: In general, yes. Try them on in the store. I need to go wide with anything on the 5 last, but loafers can be tricky as ones that are comfy in the toebox will often have significant heel slip for me (which obviously can't be corrected by lacing tighter) and require sizing down or installing tongue pads and heel grips.

16. DapperDriver

DapperDriver Well-Known Member

Man, so disappointed in my last recrafting.

All I asked for was to have the welt and sole edge on my bourbon Strands changed to brown. I got charged an extra $10 for a sole conversion, and the SA made a big deal out of it. I've never like that aspect of the AE bourbon shoes, and this was my chance to get that changed on my otherwise favorite pair of shoes.

Opened the box to a black sole edge and welt.

They used v tred on the heel instead of the usual AE heel, which just looks odd and cheap. On one shoe it was trimmed poorly and they didn't notch the inside of the heel.

Honestly, the heels wouldn't bother me if they got the "conversion" part right, but all together it just feels sloppy and rushed.

Not sure what my options are. Getting $10 refunded and nothing more would leave me with a really bad taste in my mouth, but losing my favorite shoes for another month would suck.

17. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Not to mention that re-recrafting is not going to bode well for your shoes longevity. With all the detail (like welt color) mistakes that seem to be happening, I wonder if the recrafting dept. is under-staffed and rushed??? If so, maybe not the best time to offer a new purchase discount based on sending in an old pair for recrafting.

Seems your not all that pleased with the customer service provided by your SA either. Maybe its time to call AE CS directly.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  18. DapperDriver

DapperDriver Well-Known Member

In fairness, I haven't been able to speak to anyone in the recrafting department. I opened the package yesterday after spending the week in Vegas, and that dept isn't open on the weekend.

I'm just a bit weary of AE's hit-or-miss on QC. The McCallister firsts I bought during the Bloomingdales sale should have been seconds, but I just sucked it up. The previous two purchases of first-quality shoes ended up involving returns. The last pair of seconds I bought ended up returned after the SA at the CAC saw a picture and said they were very poor quality leather, but before the exchange pair shipped I was treated to a lecture on what makes a second quality shoe from a separate associate in the returns department.

Fear and trepidation has replaced excitement when I open an AE package. I think after this I'm going to limit my purchases to brick-and-mortar; there's a retail store an hour or so from home.

19. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

ok I forgot the $40 insole fee.

Can this be done through Allison Meyer at AE? she over saw the production of my last 2 shells because it only took them on the 4th try to get my Strand right and after 5, yes 5 pairs of burgundy mcneils I ended up getting the Burgundy Cambridge.

For the made to order shell I want something on the 1943 last, leaning towards the Leiden now. In Brown.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  20. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I'm so glad they opened an outlet in NJ to go along with the retail store in Short Hills.

I'm pretty leinient on seconds (IMO), but if I'm paying for firsts, I expect first quality. The Brooks Dundee's I recently got (1st's), were quite poor. The shell Dundee seconds I picked up before that were AMAZING.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.