• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnb

Reaction score
Here's my take. I know a lot of people like them, but they replaced a better shoe. The brown is funny looking to me, and the leather isn't as nice as the Rush Street. I like the style, and I like the 65, but to me, the Strandmok is a cheap miss. Just my opinion.

Agreed. If the leather was nicer I would buy them too... all they do for me is make me want the rush street that much more.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a question.

If anyone has any experiences with the AE Strandmok how is it? Is it worth getting?

I ask as I was considering getting the Strandmok in Brown as a birthday gift to myself.

I got mine off ebay for < $80. I love them and are easily my most complimented shoes, which is probably because it's kind of a unique casual shoe and my other AEs are somewhat "standard" looking dress shoes. They are also durable as ****, but you will rub the brown burnish off over time, so be prepared for that tan to come through.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got mine off ebay for < $80. I love them and are easily my most complimented shoes, which is probably because it's kind of a unique casual shoe and my other AEs are somewhat "standard" looking dress shoes. They are also durable as ****, but you will rub the brown burnish off over time, so be prepared for that tan to come through.

One of the reasons I didn't pick up those Odenwald's in Brown yesterday. They only had a small bit of tan highlighting the tips, and looked great. But I don't think I could hope to keep them looking like that for long.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno - the blue and especially the olive Strandmok are fairly tempting for me. If it weren't for the fact that this particular shoe pattern in the form of my 11.5D Rush Street fits me poorly (even though my other 5-last shoes are very good or great) I'd be really tempted to have a pair of the Strandmoks. I went by the AE store to see if I could dial in a size specifically for that shoe, and I just don't get great closure in a D or an E in these shoes, and sizing up in either width just isn't a fit. But frankly my Rush Streets constrain my pinky toe and sorta make my feet tired. The leather seemed much nicer than what they use on the Neumok too. It ain't the CXL (which is what I like about my Rush Streets), but I think the two on-line-only colors are really cool.

The SA suggested I take my Rush Streets to my sorta-local AE (which is an outlet) and they can stretch them. I'm going to see if my feet will do some of that work.

If I did buy the Strandmok, I'd use the sale price to order either the v-tread or leather sole option...

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW - I sometimes wonder how much of the tiredness I feel from my Rush Sts. is from the Dainite sole - anyone else think that is a bit of an unforgiving platform?

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you measure both your heel to toe size and your heel to ball size? You might fit better in a 9.5D if the 9E was too loose. Might be worth a try.

Hi, yes I measured both. I am actually an 8.5 in heel to toe and 9 in heel to ball. So 9.5 would be too long. Thanks for the idea though.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One of the reasons I didn't pick up those Odenwald's in Brown yesterday.  They only had a small bit of tan highlighting the tips, and looked great.  But I don't think I could hope to keep them looking like that for long.

It's not overly easy to scuff the burnish off, but it will happen and I believe is supposed to. I think it adds character to the shoe myself, but can look odd if you scratch it off in a straight line, otherwise it's like reverse antiquing.

Last edited:

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of variability within a last, especially with something like the 65. We can break things down in general - 1) Have you tried a blucher instead of a bal, did it work better/worse/no difference?; 2) No loafers on the 65, so N/A for that; 3) Have you tried a boot, what was that like - better/worse? 4) Have you tried other materials such as suede? 5) Have you compared a "rough collection" against a dressy shoe - did it fit a lot looser? 5) Have you played around with the brooks bros models and are they better or worse?

Beyond that, as long as the shoes aren't too short in length, they will absolutely stretch out over time with extended wear. To accelerate this, put on a pair of medium weight socks or something normally too heavy for the shoes and suck it up for a couple really lengthy wears. See how they are afterwards.

Bottom line - don't rule out an entire last until you have exhausted every possible option.

Yes blucher is better, as I can tie a bit looser. On the bal I can also technically tie looser; however I don't like too much of a gap in the v.

The shoes are definitely not too short in length (I am only an 8.5 in heel to toe). The only area of tightness is that specific spot on the outside of my arch area. I'm hoping they will loosen up, as I really like the oxfords on the 65 (PA, Strands, FA, etc).

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can answer:

How does the 108 last compare with the 65 in terms of sizing? Do most go with the same size for both?

FaRKle

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can answer:

How does the 108 last compare with the 65 in terms of sizing? Do most go with the same size for both?

I just bought a Carlyle this weekend. To me, the 108 was surprisingly roomy. I had been under the impression that it was a very narrow and tight fitting last all around. Compared to the 65 last though, I found it MUCH better for a higher instep. The width at the ball of the foot wasn't lacking, although it was slightly more narrow than the 65 last. My toes didn't feel cramped at all and the volume above the ball of the foot seemed to be a bit more than the 65 last, which can feel tight from the ball of the foot all the way up to the instep. Length-wise seemed to fit the same as the 65 last.

With the 65 last I have to go 7.5EEE for bals, which end up being slightly long (heel doesn't grab all that well in the back), and ever so slightly wide at the ball of the foot (have to wear medium weight socks to get snug). If I wear a 7EEE, then the instep is painful, however, with 65 last bluchers it's perfect. With the Carlyles (and wearing thin socks), a 7.5EEE was comfortable in the ball of the foot such that going to a 7EEE should still be just right. I was able to lace the sides of the bal all the way up without feeling loose or firm pressure over my instep. The heel wasn't quite as wide as the 65 last, so it grabbed slightly better, but the length was the same as the 5 last, which is a bit too long for me. I went with a 7EEE in the Carlyles and expect them to fit very well.

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@FaRKle From what you described, you owe it to yourself to try the 201 & 222 if you haven't already.

harlequin782

Reaction score

I had a question.

If anyone has any experiences with the AE Strandmok how is it? Is it worth getting?

I ask as I was considering getting the Strandmok in Brown as a birthday gift to myself.

I'm getting them...they're a much better casual shoe than the Elgin or Rush Street from what I've seen of them at the store. The AE rep at my local store said that in her experience, it was one of the most liked styles compared to their other casual offerings. The suede versions are super soft, but can tend to look like a tennis shoe from certain angles to me.

Last edited:

feeble

Reaction score

@Neo1 I'm not sure if I'm ready to jump in to tassels like the Jermyn yet. Baby steps... What color are yours?

With the Lamarche, I can see what you're saying, especially in black. I do not not wear suits (obviously by the other footwear I mentioned) and thought the Terra Dallas color may keep it casual enough for chinos. I haven't seen it in person though,have you? I have tried on a Lexington and found them comfortable, so fit shouldn't be a problem.

I have the terra Dallas Le marche, will post a pic of it in khakis today after I get to the office

PbgGuy

Reaction score
Well, you guys have gone and done it again. Black Randolphs on the way.

Been trying to shut the AE spigot off, but saw the recent chatter about deep discounts not listed on the shoebank site and, well, you know the routine.

Going to have to explain to my wife that some "filthy barn weasels" are to blame. I'm sure she'll be understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads