Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shades9323

shades9323 Senior member

I don't have the Graysons, but I have a different 97 last shoe. I take a 9d in the 97 and an 8e in the 65. Although I would possibly consider sizing down to 8.5d for the loafer to minimize heel slip a bit. The 97 last does have wide heels.

2. matwa

matwa Senior member

Chili Varno - First wearing

[​IMG]

3. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@aero25Good to hear someone asking for something different fir a change - although I am sporting my Jermyn today myself....anyway -

I considered the bates, I liked the look and color a lot as a casual option. Totally changed when I saw it in person - looked really sub par, not like AE quality. Sole was thin and rubbery.

I actually bought and returned a black lamarche. Very very misleading pics. When you put in on and have a pant leg covering it, it looks identical (and fits almost identical) to a Lexington. Very plain, very conservative. Would be difficult to swing this with something too casual, they would look out of place. With those others you mentioned, this sounds like it probably wouldn't fit the bill. If you have the wardrobe, get it, very nice. If not, id recommend checking out the overlord.

4. DapperDriver

DapperDriver Well-Known Member

Well, there goes a little bit more of my bonus check... I'll soon be the proud owner of some walnut McCallisters. That 20% off of the Anniversary sale price was too good to pass up, especially when that exact shoe was one of two that I've had on my AE wish list.

So, in the past month I've given them little pieces of my bonus for:
    - Walnut McCallisters
    - Recraft on my bourbon Strands
    - Recraft on my chili Fairfaxs
    - Four belts; bourbon Manistee, walnut Dearborn, chili and black Basic Dress belts

Also, I spoke w/ AE customer service again about my chili McGregors, and they've told me that the problem I noted looks like a leather defect, so if all goes well those will be getting squared away.

Barn weasels, the lot of you.

5. BG 7

BG 7 Well-Known Member

First day wearing the new Strands. These shoes are magnificent. They fit a little tight when I tried them on yesterday (near the big toe on the right foot), but today they seem to fit absolutely perfect.

First experience with the 5 last. I tried on my normal size (I wear 11D in the 1, 4, and 7 lasts) at Nordstrom a few months back and they felt a little tight, so took a chance following the advice I'd seen on the forums in the past and went down a half size and up a width to 10.5 E and it seems to work like a charm.

In bad news, that means I've opened a whole new gateway to all the 5 last options that I was previously hesitant on. Must resist the temptation.

[​IMG]

6. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Those really look awesome. You plucked those from the bay?

7. BG 7

BG 7 Well-Known Member

I have a similar experience. I believe the Westchester loafer I have is the 97 last, and I wear an 11 D in that and a 10.5 E in the 65, as I was just able to confirm. I also wear an 11 D in the Glasgow loafer (4 last I believe). I seem to also have a similar experience with the wider heels in the 97. The Westchester heel seems wider the Glasgow, but it isn't bad enough to the point of slipping off for me. Hope that helps.

8. BG 7

BG 7 Well-Known Member

Thank you. Yes. They were $165. A little more than I wanted to spend on eBay, but upon arrival the purchase was justified, and I am not quite in a position to shell out $299 from the Shoebank for one pair just yet.

9. BG 7

BG 7 Well-Known Member

Dang. I was about to jump on the McAllister until I saw this.

10. aero25

aero25 Senior member

@Neo1 I'm not sure if I'm ready to jump in to tassels like the Jermyn yet. Baby steps... What color are yours?

With the Lamarche, I can see what you're saying, especially in black. I do not not wear suits (obviously by the other footwear I mentioned) and thought the Terra Dallas color may keep it casual enough for chinos. I haven't seen it in person though,have you? I have tried on a Lexington and found them comfortable, so fit shouldn't be a problem.

11. Captm2016

Captm2016 Member

In the Bloomingdales sale, does anyone know what width the shoe is when it's not listed? Like all I see are sizes with no letter and some EEE. What width are the ones with no letter?

12. jaba

jaba Member

13. M2511

M2511 Senior member

14. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

[​IMG]

Decided to try a different lacing pattern to see if I can get my Rutledges to fit better. Went with the bar lacing with the criss-crossing underneath in hopes to isolate my foot better to keep it from running into the front of the shoe (these are too small and wide). If they get better in the next few wears I might consider having them stretched to see if I can salvage them.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016

15. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I'd say the first one, too, but I would personally buy neither of them. The creasing on the first pair look like someone with feet to short, the other too narrow. At least the first pair appears to have been stored with trees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.