1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flaminiom

flaminiom Active Member

I measure a 9D. For the 65 Strand, 8.5D seems fits be well. Any thoughts on a 108? Do you guys think a similar 8.5D fit or true to size 9D?

2. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I wear my brannock size on both the 65 and the 108. The 108 has more room for higher arches, but is tapered slightly more than the 65.

3. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Criss cross lacing ftw. Oxblood McGregor
    [​IMG]

4. yunBW

yunBW Well-Known Member

Hi, I wonder if there's any method of covering this part of leather tear? (I know it's not so visible but i would like to look as good as possible)

Thank you,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

Looks like the new Walnut Creek AE store opens up today! Funny that it should open the day after I called the CAC and asked when it would open (for some reason I thought it wasn't opening till later in the year). I wonder if they're running any specials.

Supposedly there's a store opening up in the Stanford Shopping Center too at the end of the month. That makes FOUR AE physical locations in the Bay Area!

I hope this means we'll get a West Coast Shoebank soon too (Livermore outlets please!).

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  6. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Walnut Wednesday today with First Avenue and grey chinos. (Flat laces via @Deusis /Guarded Goods.) These have been polished with a couple of different meltonian colors, in attempt to cover up the slight tiger striping on each toe. Th
    They have more room and are longer than the same sized Daltons I wore yesterday, but have less heel slip. Found this pretty interesting, considering I've always felt the Daltons are too snug. Guess I haven't worn these on back to back days before.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Bucking the walnut theme today with brown saddlehorn leather Mapletons. Very comfy.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    The heck with the Bay area, send it down south. There is only ONE AE physical location from south of the Bay down to the Mexican border.

9. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

Which option is best?

I have a pair of McTavish that need to be recrafted.

Pay $125 to AE and get the $50 gift card?

Buy them in seconds from shoebank for $137?

Or find a local cobbler to replace soles/heels?

10. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

I've noticed this too. I think I should have gone down half a size from the 511 on these.

11. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

@MattRiv , yes these have had a little bit of extra attention. With MTO dead, my goal is to slowly build to a bourbon color with a heavily burnished toe, but a chili welt (rather than black). I have had great luck with Bick 4 conditioner and Meltonian polish. The navy color looks amazing on the toe of walnut shoes! I actually think the Daltons are slightly darker/richer than the pics from yesterday.

If it helps, this was a post from the "old" AE thread about working over my Daltons and 1st Aves:
    Thanks for the replies to this. I realized after posting this, that I had done plenty of research and just need to jump in and give it a shot.

I'll skip the minor details like number of coats, wait time, brushing, polishing, edge dressing, etc....
    Daltons got treated with Bick 4, then coats of AE bourbon polish everywhere, followed by lighter coats of navy on the toe and heel.
    First Aves got Bick 4, coats of cognac everywhere, brown and then navy on toe and heel.

I am very happy with both! The Daltons developed a deeper color and will only get better with future treatments. (My goal is an almost bourbon Dalton, with a chili edge, minus the need to sand black edges.)
    The First Aves developed a rich honey color that, IMO, will allow them to be worn more formally than with walnut.

Here are the Daltons. First Aves maybe on Monday. Happy Friday, everyone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I think the token answer from this board is "buy more shoes," regardless of the question. In your case, I think it comes down to:
    Are you a regular price (minus $50) purchaser? Do you have a respectable cobbler in mind? How are the uppers of the current McT's? Do you have relationship with a SA that could give you an idea of the flaws of the pair on the shoebank?

1 person likes this.
  13. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

I usually don't buy at full price.
    Only one cobbler in town that I know, mixed reviews.
    Uppers seem to be good, they are about 2 years old and get worn once or twice a week.
    I don't have a relationship with a SA that I know of!

14. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@rpearlbergWhat color is yours and what is available?

15. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

Dark Brown/Cognac is what I have and what is available.

16. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I might eventually warm up to the cap toe. I actually like the look of the Strands a bit. But now it sounds like the 65 last is probably not in my best interest. You'd never guess by looking at my pics of the Carlyle, but it's actually very roomy inside, especially in the toe area. I definitely don't want to change the size for the sake of the V closing.

17. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

Happy Walnut Wednesday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. shades9323

shades9323 Well-Known Member

Lacing inspired by Peppercorn's blue suede shoes!
    [​IMG]

19. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

:cheers:

20. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

What are the thread's thoughts on the Kenwood loafer? I never looked closely at them, because so many of them were made of bonded leather, but the shoebank currently as a burgundy cordovan pair for $300 and a tan saddle pair for $200. My only loafers are dark brown McGraws. Would you recommend either pair, or would you advise getting, say, a Grayson before a second pair of penny loafers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.