Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Not if you have odd sizes, discontinued models, or MTOs. (All of which apply to me).

2. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

True... I guess it depends on the shoe. But for the average run of the mill AE, it seems to be a waste to me.

3. peppercorn78

Maybe you're really a 9.5 E, at least in that particular last. Bleecker is a dress chukka. Dundee is more of a shit-kicker.

The suede will also give as it breaks in.

4. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@Buster Brown I've tried all 3. Drastically different fits. Gobi is just huge all around. Do you have anything on the 511? They fit pretty much like anything else on it - shorter length, larger toe. I would get the same size as bleeker, some might go up 0.5 length. They looked casual but less so than the Gobi. Not bad, I just liked the freiburg a lot better. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016

5. peppercorn78

Sure, for walnut strands or black park aves.

But you could likely get them Resoled for much less at a local cobbler.

6. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

No doubt, and I do. The reason I ask is that I have PAs in 9EE (kinda uncommon size). Is the treatment of the upper worth the price of the redraft, or should I just hit up the local guy for $60?

7. iamelroberto

iamelroberto Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Walnut Wednesday strands with purple laces!

8. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I don't think this is a true statement, at least in my experience with AEs. I own quite a few boots and the Gobi is the only one that I sized down. In fact multiple other boots are sized up - either in length or width. I have another example (Dalton) where I stayed with my 5-last size (~90% of my collection is same size) and wish I would have gone up in width or length.

The Gobi was a special beast in that it had so much volume and such a wide toe box.

9. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I had a customer meeting that took me directly past the AE outlet 45 min away from where I live, so I decided to stop by. And lo, the had the mysterious congnac tan McTavish...

I decided to compare them to some "real" tans, which were on sale for $137:
    [​IMG]
    They look flawless other than the color variation from the site.

...and with "real" cognac: (both are 4045's)
    [​IMG]

I came home with the Cognac Tans...

I blame you all.

Every one of you...

10. Southwick

Southwick Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Watch idiot, thank you for your interest. The toe area is getting shiny, as is the front tip of the overlay plug. Also the sides of the heels. The ridges on the overlay plug are coloring differently than the rest of the plug. I don't really mind the changes, but I am worries about cleaning the leather, as you point out. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. lemmy127

lemmy127 Senior member

Maybe it's different for normal sized feet guys, but the secondary market is generally a sea of models that are or are very similar to Nashuas, Waltons, Codys, and ORDs for my size 13B. No offense to guys that like those, but they aren't for me.

12. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

For what it is worth, I went down one size and up one width for my Daltons compared to my 65 last shoes. Although his was purely due to what the store had in stock, I was very pleased with the comfort and had plenty of room in the toe.

I went from 9.5 EE on my 65 last shoes to 9 EEE on the Daltons.

13. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Gobi's today. No cheap carpeting, bit cheap flooring nonetheless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wear an 8D in the Gobi, Dundee 2.0, Dalton, and Sauk Dr. All fit just fine, though if I wear thicker boot socks in the Gobi or Dundee, then they are too snug to be comfortable. The Gobi is a bit more roomy than the Dundee until 10 min into wearing the Dundee when the suede relaxes a bit. Then they feel the same except that the Dundee is more structured. The Sauk is the roomiest of all. But thats my feet.

14. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

I have a little dick, too. Makes me try harder.

Seriously, I do find myself lucky to at least have medium width. 8.5 isn't too far below average, either. There are folks here over 12 or under 8, and people looking for EEE width, and the shoe selection -- not just AE, but in general -- has to be a lot worse for them. Thank goodness for the internets and the ability to search far and wide for a good fit.

Makes me think of a high school friend, who was 7' tall and couldn't choose a brand of basketball shoe. He wouldn't ask for the popular Nike or Adidas or whatever, he'd just ask "Do you have size 16?" and buy any shoe they had to offer.

15. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

Mine are sitting at home on the front porch. Can't wait to get home and open them up. Congrats on finding them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.