Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I do not have three to improve on other suggestions, but I do recommend the Shreveport to go with the woven Leiden if that is a direction you choose.

2. gm928

gm928 Senior member

Navy suede Dundee firsts are on clearance for $217.

3. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

I have a pair of these that I bought just over two years ago (black, and my first AEs). I'm pretty sure mine have creased similarly, though not as much.

4. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

Nice $250 lunch today. That's what happens when you work 2 blocks away from the store. And I'm still hungry. I wound up going with the Cavanaugh in Oxblood. This is the first shoe of 13 that I have changed sizes on. I went up to an 11. Having them shipped to me to avoid sales tax. Of course, pics when I get them.

5. Soupy

Soupy Active Member

6. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

OK - So Paul says he's open to a group order for a Leeds in brown shell. Anyone in? Medium transparent edge dressing?

7. gm928

gm928 Senior member

There's also this: "We're bringing back the Bayfield and the Fifth Street. And we have a new calfskin hiking boot coming out this fall called the Rockies Highline, and another plain toe boot that looks really great too."

Plenty of people here will be happy to see that the Bayfield is back.

8. barto78

barto78 Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the Leeds. I prefer the Carlyle more and i might be willing to pony up the $$ for it, but wouldn't for Leeds.

9. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Hmmm.. Well if they're doing a Leeds perhaps the can be cajoled into a brown shell Dundee?

10. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

They already do.

11. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

In my quest to try an 8EE on the 65, I took a chance on these Oxblood Strands from a well known (to this thread) seller on eBay. These were the "no warranty" pair some of you may have seen.
    First some pictures, then hopefully I can get some opinions addressing my concerns. No pants (easy, I'm wearing shorts), to get full view of the shoes. Excuse the towel, hard floor where I have the best lighting.

[​IMG]

Below, an eyelet mis-alignment flaw (on left) which I find a bit disconcerting. Also, the broguing on the cap seems a little off center.

[​IMG]

Red Arrows: I have quite a bit of room at these points, yet I can't get absolute full closure on the left shoe. Keep in mind these insole has not settled.
    Blue Arrows: Normal space in front of my toes for an 8 size, but lots of space above my toes, excessive volume in the toe-box.

[​IMG]

Comparison with my 8E Walnut Strands. These are well broken-in (the insole has molded/settled), and now I get good closure. But I had to try on a quite few pairs of 8Es until I found a more "generous" in the instep pair.

[​IMG]

I got the Oxbloods for a ridiculous (to me) bargain, which is making me waffle on returing. But the more I look at the eyelet issue in the pictures, the more it bothers me. My real concern is the volume issues, and how that will affect creasing.

Keep? Return? Resell?

12. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I only see Black and Burgundy in shell on the website. Is brown something I don't know about?

13. gm928

gm928 Senior member

14. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

The brogueing and misaligned eyelets would not bother me at that price point. I would be more concerned with whether or not the bulge on the right back inner side of the left shoe pushes on your heal and makes them uncomfortable to wear. [​IMG] Yep...you guessed it.

15. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.