1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatszu

gatszu Senior member

@texas9 Those look to be too narrow. Try 11E & 10.5E.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  2. coop23us

coop23us Member

Dang those are nice.

3. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

All of the talk in the last few days about the variation in McTavish colors got me to thinking about wearing mine. Where do these fall in the continuum?
    [​IMG]
    For those wondering about the color:
    [​IMG]
    (Original color, that is.)

4. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@SLCRich So the Steen is just like the Mora, plain and simple. The Grayson has the narrowest, most tapered toe of anything, but it widens from front to back. I like mine enough. I'd start with normal size, then maybe consider up half length. Patriot is pretty different - ultra narrow heel followed by roomy toe box. I went same size on that also, but if probably start with up a length (or maybe width) on this one. The fit is strange and is not for everyone. The Grayson most should get to work, this one might not work in any size for some people. Hope that's a start.

1 person likes this.
  5. texas9

texas9 Member

I happened to video myself trying on the 11E at the store: . Isn't the gap around the heel a bit big? perhaps the 5 last isn't for me.

6. gatszu

gatszu Senior member

That's fairly common with balmorals

7. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I got mine from Amazon (No Show Socks for Men By Jays, No Show, Extra Large Silicon Heel Grip. (White)3-pack Medium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FOSEUKE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_ISLXwbJ01DDXG) and they work well if you get them situated correctly on your foot. Sometimes they slide down a bit during wear, so I pull em back up a bit and that usually has me good to go.

As far as how I wear loafers, usually it's with those socks, dark fitted denim and anything from a vneck to a tucked in button down and a blazer. As I stated in my previous post on this subject, I prefer a sleek lasted penny like an AE Lake Forest.

8. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Sperry top sider sox with the rubber/silicone things in the back heel.

9. StylinProfilin

StylinProfilin Well-Known Member

These are 8EEE. What would be the next logical size up?

I will grab a picture with the Strands soon.

10. StylinProfilin

StylinProfilin Well-Known Member

Strand seconds. Some bowing but otherwise feels fine. 8EEE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

To me, your color looks like the Dark Chili McAllister I posted yesterday as a comparison to my cognac. A bit more orange and brighter than 4045.

12. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

These just in from the bank. Replaced my too big Park Avenues with Hopkinsons. The flaw is the slightly misaligned AE stamp on the bottom. Same flaw on the brown first aves, both steals IMO. The Hops also have a tiny nick on the sole but that could happen in a walk between meetings.

The first aves may have a tiny bit of misalignment in the right toe cap but nothing that seriously bothers me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Hmmmm... As 4035's, those are Tan McT's, but they certainly present as Cognac to me, especially with the darker welt and sole. How long have you had them, and what products are you using on them?

My Cognacs are marked on the tongue, but my tans on the inside of the heel wall of the right shoe.

14. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

These are still "low mileage" shoes.
    I think that the main thing that darkened them was probably the leather dyes.

15. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

They're like shoes, but you don't have to tie them!

I would assume they follow the same dress code rules as lace-up shoes - the sleeker/less adorned they are, the dressier they are. So something like the Steen or Randolph, you could wear with a business suit, or whatever you would wear an apron-toe or split toe shoe with. Whereas handsewn loafs are more casual and better for jeans and chinos and shorts, a more refined substitute for a blucher-moc or boat shoe. Especially in a rougher leather, like CXL or kudu.

16. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

A slightly misaligned stamp on the sole is a flaw? I need to rethink the Shoebank! Those look amazing.

17. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

Thanks!!! It's literally the only thing I can find wrong with the shoe.

18. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

I put some extra padding in my First Aves, they feel much more snug now. I'm baffled at how much bigger they feel than my Freiburgs on the same last at the same size.

I can't wait for the weather to get nicer. I was iffy on my Larchmonts at first, but the more I look at them, the more I really wanna take them for a nice stroll down in the village.

I'm also really eager to find out the details of the new austerity brogue. I was just about ready to order a custom from Rancourt when Mr. Grangaard mentioned them in his last Reddit AMA. It's the one style I've been wanting most since I started getting into shoes, but there are pretty much none made in the US.

19. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Quote:Meaning you dyed the leather?

20. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Did an SA fit you with that? Glad to see the training has improved....[​IMG]

Did you ever try an 8.5E or 9D?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.