• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjtitus

Reaction score
are mcallisters a little too formal to pair with jeans? im a little worried AE isnt gonna be able to do anything about my mcgregors and the one shoe being bigger than the other. i need another option in dark chili. lookin at the mcallister.
I'd look for a pair of Madison Parks. They are on sale at Nordstrom's for $244. And you can find them at the Shoe Bank as well. I believe they are all down at the bottom with no pictures. I just got some seconds and they look great and fit better than the 65 last on me. They are made on the 222 last. I got the Dark Chili and they look really good.

danwatts2005

Reaction score
are mcallisters a little too formal to pair with jeans? im a little worried AE isnt gonna be able to do anything about my mcgregors and the one shoe being bigger than the other. i need another option in dark chili. lookin at the mcallister.
I wore dark chili McA's with dark jeans on Monday, and I thought they looked fine. I've also been known to wear Bourbon Strands with jeans. I would not wear black oxfords with jeans, and I wouldn't wear a PA or FA of any color with jeans, but the broguing on the McA or Strand makes them OK; at least in my book. There are probably several sartorial experts who would disagree with me, but they probably don't wear jeans, anyway.

Buster Brown

Reaction score

Wondering if anyone can help me with Dundee (1.0) fitting, especially as it relates to the Gobi and Bleecker Street. I have the latter two and they couldn't be further apart in fit. The Gobi is very roomy and looks unstructured and quite casual on my feet. By contrast, the Bleecker Street seems very narrow and fitted, resulting in a really sleek look. I'd like to add a pair of navy Dundees but want them to fit/look more like the Bleecker Streets.

Anyone?

Rubik1014

Reaction score
Hah! I think you missed the part where they sent me the wrong color shoes.

And, I haven't gotten them yet. However, I ordered my "normal" sizing.

I'm on the slender side of 8.5 D according to brannock, but I have a higher than average instep. I cannot get anything that works in a 5 last -- if I get enough width that I don't crush my toes the heel has way too much room. I can go up a size and then use tongue pads to keep my foot in place, but then it's like walking in clown shoes.

I fit the 201 last very nicely. Like it was made for me. I fit the 333 last in a balmoral almost perfectly. A tiny bit tight until breakin, then as good as I could ever want. My bluchers are a touch big, even, or at least my Flatirons are. I'm wearing larchmonts right now and have been all day, and they have been perfectly comfortable out of the box.

So, the 1943 last is supposed to be based on the 333 last with a different toe. As I promised someone else 2 months ago, I'll let you know how it matches up when (if) I ever see a pair in real life.

Excellent, thank you.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd look for a pair of Madison Parks. They are on sale at Nordstrom's for $244. And you can find them at the Shoe Bank as well. I believe they are all down at the bottom with no pictures.  I just got some seconds and they look great and fit better than the 65 last on me. They are made on the 222 last. I got the Dark Chili and they look really good.

Love mine!

Moose22

Reaction score
I'm also interested in how the 1943 last works for you. I also have a higher than normal instep and 5 last bals don't work for me. Too much gap. The 108 last and 333 last both seem to work better.

I tried on a Cornwalis at the last RDA sale. It didn't fit like a 3 last with different toe for me. It felt like a 5 last with toe like the 3 last. Too much gap. I'm interested in hearing your results.

Your comments about the 201 last sounds interesting. I think my next shoe will be a 201 last shoe. It sounds like it might be a good fit for me. I see a Merlot Hopkinson in my future.

I'm a little worried about that 1943, especially since it is a bal so the gap will be obvious if it's bad. And I read poor Melissa the riot act, so I really don't want to have to send them back. She intercepted the package so brown ones will be on their way soon. We'll see how it goes.

We high instep people have to stick together. Seriously, that's the one thing about this forum that can be of actual use. I love the education on shoemaking and people's fashion choices are cool to see, but if you don't have a store nearby getting fit well is always a journey.

My first attempt at AEs were 511G and I crush the ball and toe. Same on the 5 last. I got some Rogues and from the instep to the heel they fit perfectly, width is fine in the forefoot, and there was plenty of room at the toe. They still fit perfectly 8 months later. If you try them, let me know how that Hopkinson fits. Bal vs. Blucher, afterall, but the cone definitely comes up earlier in the 201.

Moose22

Reaction score
There are probably several sartorial experts who would disagree with me, but they probably don't wear jeans, anyway.
I agree that the brogueing goes better with jeans. I think a strand is a perfect shoe to go with denim, and I wear dark chili rogues mostly with denim. And I also agree that I don't care for a cap-toe with jeans. Too bankerish. But for me that's personal preference.

I am learning a lot of denim goes a lot of places it didn't in the past. Especially where I live, which is pretty laid back. I was at the opera last night and saw at least a half dozen people wearing jeans. One even had the hipster turned up cuffs thing.

shoelover

Reaction score
With the secondary market for Allen Edmonds being so weak, does it make sense to use the redrafting service any longer where you can get like new shoes in the same model for less money?

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is purely an observation and nothing negative, but a lot of you guys have small feets.

22busy

Reaction score

Wondering if anyone can help me with Dundee (1.0) fitting, especially as it relates to the Gobi and Bleecker Street. I have the latter two and they couldn't be further apart in fit. The Gobi is very roomy and looks unstructured and quite casual on my feet. By contrast, the Bleecker Street seems very narrow and fitted, resulting in a really sleek look. I'd like to add a pair of navy Dundees but want them to fit/look more like the Bleecker Streets.

Here is my take on Bleeker vs Dundee. I have the Bleeker and it does fit/look more fitted and sleek than the Dundee. I tried on a Dundee at the store this weekend and it does look more round in the toe by comparison. Here's were the SA messed me up. I'm a 10E. The store didn't have a 10E so the SA gave me a 9 1/2E to try. It fit like a glove. Wrapped around my foot with no play, but not binding either. He said there is no difference in the width, only the length? I walked out confused and decided to revisit it another day.

BTW, it was the loden suede Dundee. Now I want one. Great color and look in a chukka.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my take on Bleeker vs Dundee. I have the Bleeker and it does fit/look more fitted and sleek than the Dundee. I tried on a Dundee at the store this weekend and it does look more round in the toe by comparison. Here's were the SA messed me up. I'm a 10E. The store didn't have a 10E so the SA gave me a 9 1/2E to try. It fit like a glove. Wrapped around my foot with no play, but not binding either. He said there is no difference in the width, only the length? I walked out confused and decided to revisit it another day.

BTW, it was the loden suede Dundee. Now I want one. Great color and look in a chukka.
Theoretically, that should be correct. Most people also size down a 1/2 size from a shoe to a boot. As I've gotten farther into the shoe game, I realize that I probably could've gone to a 11 C or a 10.5 D for my Gobis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads