Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

This list is crazy man. Awesome.

2. TxLiving

TxLiving Member

Couple comments (I've been drinking and staring at shoes so lay off :))

1. I may be in the minority, but I like to by AE color polish to keep my AE's the way I bought them. I like the shine and polish them every week, but I wouldn't dream of putting a different color on them.

2. I'm super happy (and sad) that the Strands aren't discounted. I really didn't want to have to add the Oxbloods into my decisions.

3. I'e been very torn between the Oxblood Carlyle and Chili 5ths.

4. Unlike the Strands, I can go with a more generic belt with either, so I may see if I can find one that fits both...with leads to point 5...

5. Have to tell someone, so why not strangers...found out my wife is pregnant with our first child :) Seems like buying both may be a pretty good celebration gift.

3. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I have the Dalton and a couple of First Aves. I would say the 1A is the same or slightly longer, a little wider, with a decent amount of more volume in the forefoot than the Dalton.

4. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

Congrats.... better save your pennies (I have 3 children), you will need them.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016

5. Uncle

Uncle Well-Known Member

So although I technically missed yesterday's midnight press deadline due to technical issues, I thought I'd add my two cents , er shoes to the current Fifth Avenue Avenue fray! ( Better picture w/ watch in future!)[​IMG]

Works for me with navy, olive or brown pants!

6. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

So I have to say I'm a little surprised by the super high interest in the 5th - people even getting multiples? People are so desperate for a sale? Notice what's missing from my list. I'd say either go truly formal (PA) or dress it up with one of AEs best offerings (Strand). The 5th tries to satisfy both but manages to satisfy neither. It looks like a PA with a lone band of perfs that just seems out of place.

7. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

For me I can't afford to pay the full price in all honesty. If the pa was equally priced I would go with them but between price and my preferred sole it's a no brainer.

We are on the same page with the strands though.

8. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

I'd rather wear a FA than PA for any occasion other than a funeral, a job interview, or a wedding I'm in. The punch cap gives it just enough more oomph to cure the monotony, especially since the 65 isn't a particularly sleek last. It's why I already have it in chili and brown (and don't need to take advantage of the sale).

I do want an oxblood Strand, now that you mention it... Or shell. I can't decide.

9. TxLiving

TxLiving Member

Simply, I don't think I'd go with the PA's until I want/need to wear suits and/or black pants. Neither are in my near future and so I can't justify buying black PA's.

I do really like the look that the PA/5ths give with though in other colors without being so formal.

10. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

[​IMG]

Shell

11. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

Congratulations! Buy em now, because you won't be able to afford them later.

12. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

I offer a new photo style: "Waiting for the *(#%&#ing traffic light to change"

[​IMG]

13. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

14. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

You know how mean it is to post a pic of a color unavailable for purchase, right? I seriously don't get how they decide which models are available in which colors. Why can't I get a Strand in burgundy, or a Leeds in brown?

15. Captm2016

Captm2016 Member

I thought the EXACT same thing as you until someone in a retail store talked me into trying the 5th on. I loved it. The perfs don't look out of place at all IMO and just make the shoe a lot less "boring" for lack of a better word than a PA. I have a bourbon and black PA and only a dark chili 5A, but if I could start from scratch I'd only get a black PA and any other colors in 5A for business settings. It's still formal enough for almost anything yet still just has that something extra that sets it apart from the PA. And when you really need the most conservative thing possible, you'd still have the black PA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.