• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxLiving

Reaction score
Couple comments (I've been drinking and staring at shoes so lay off :))

1. I may be in the minority, but I like to by AE color polish to keep my AE's the way I bought them. I like the shine and polish them every week, but I wouldn't dream of putting a different color on them.

2. I'm super happy (and sad) that the Strands aren't discounted. I really didn't want to have to add the Oxbloods into my decisions.

3. I'e been very torn between the Oxblood Carlyle and Chili 5ths.

4. Unlike the Strands, I can go with a more generic belt with either, so I may see if I can find one that fits both...with leads to point 5...

5. Have to tell someone, so why not strangers...found out my wife is pregnant with our first child :) Seems like buying both may be a pretty good celebration gift.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do you find the fit on these?  Particularly compared to the Dalton (if you own a pair)?

I have the Dalton and a couple of First Aves. I would say the 1A is the same or slightly longer, a little wider, with a decent amount of more volume in the forefoot than the Dalton.

Captain Insano

Reaction score
Congrats.... better save your pennies (I have 3 children), you will need them.

1. I may be in the minority, but I like to by AE color polish to keep my AE's the way I bought them. I like the shine and polish them every week, but I wouldn't dream of putting a different color on them. 

2. I'm super happy (and sad) that the Strands aren't discounted. I really didn't want to have to add the Oxbloods into my decisions. 

4. Unlike the Strands, I can go with a more generic belt with either, so I may see if I can find one that fits both...with leads to point 5...

5. Have to tell someone, so why not strangers...found out my wife is pregnant with our first child :) Seems like buying both may be a pretty good celebration gift. 

Last edited:

Uncle

Reaction score
So although I technically missed yesterday's midnight press deadline due to technical issues, I thought I'd add my two cents , er shoes to the current Fifth Avenue Avenue fray! ( Better picture w/ watch in future!)

Works for me with navy, olive or brown pants!

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have to say I'm a little surprised by the super high interest in the 5th - people even getting multiples? People are so desperate for a sale? Notice what's missing from my list. I'd say either go truly formal (PA) or dress it up with one of AEs best offerings (Strand). The 5th tries to satisfy both but manages to satisfy neither. It looks like a PA with a lone band of perfs that just seems out of place.

whodey14

Reaction score

So I have to say I'm a little surprised by the super high interest in the 5th - people even getting multiples? People are so desperate for a sale? Notice what's missing from my list. I'd say either go truly formal (PA) or dress it up with one of AEs best offerings (Strand). The 5th tries to satisfy both but manages to satisfy neither. It looks like a PA with a lone band of perfs that just seems out of place.

For me I can't afford to pay the full price in all honesty. If the pa was equally priced I would go with them but between price and my preferred sole it's a no brainer.

We are on the same page with the strands though.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd rather wear a FA than PA for any occasion other than a funeral, a job interview, or a wedding I'm in. The punch cap gives it just enough more oomph to cure the monotony, especially since the 65 isn't a particularly sleek last. It's why I already have it in chili and brown (and don't need to take advantage of the sale).

I do want an oxblood Strand, now that you mention it... Or shell. I can't decide.

Last edited:

TxLiving

Reaction score

Simply, I don't think I'd go with the PA's until I want/need to wear suits and/or black pants. Neither are in my near future and so I can't justify buying black PA's.

I do really like the look that the PA/5ths give with though in other colors without being so formal.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd rather wear a FA than PA for any occasion other than a funeral, a job interview, or a wedding I'm in. The punch cap gives it just enough more oomph to cure the monotony, especially since the 65 isn't a particularly sleek last. It's why I already have it in chili and brown (and don't need to take advantage of the sale).

I do want an oxblood Strand, now that you mention it... Or shell. I can't decide.

Shell

danwatts2005

Reaction score

Congratulations! Buy em now, because you won't be able to afford them later.

RichieP

Reaction score
I offer a new photo style: "Waiting for the *(#%&#ing traffic light to change"

Last edited:

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shell
You know how mean it is to post a pic of a color unavailable for purchase, right? I seriously don't get how they decide which models are available in which colors. Why can't I get a Strand in burgundy, or a Leeds in brown?

Captm2016

Reaction score

I thought the EXACT same thing as you until someone in a retail store talked me into trying the 5th on. I loved it. The perfs don't look out of place at all IMO and just make the shoe a lot less "boring" for lack of a better word than a PA. I have a bourbon and black PA and only a dark chili 5A, but if I could start from scratch I'd only get a black PA and any other colors in 5A for business settings. It's still formal enough for almost anything yet still just has that something extra that sets it apart from the PA. And when you really need the most conservative thing possible, you'd still have the black PA.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know how mean it is to post a pic of a color unavailable for purchase, right? I seriously don't get how they decide which models are available in which colors. Why can't I get a Strand in burgundy, or a Leeds in brown?

deadhorse-a.gif

How about a Stand in black shell?

Or a Cornwallis in brown shell?

Or a MacNeil in brown shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads