1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

@smfdoc I agree with you 100%. It was a realization I had to make that owning just one pair of AE puts you in a very very small percentage of the population when it comes to footwear, (not even going to bring up us filthy barnweasels that own multiple of the same style just in a different color). Let alone the amazing shoes over in the Alden, JL, EG, G&G etc threads. I was lucky enough to try on a pair and feel just how better the quality was and now I'd almost want to wear my AE's over my sneakers.

Side note, I switched my lacing from straight bar back to criss cross (almost took another picture because, I'm a whore). The functionality of criss cross is just so much better/easier than straight lacing. Having said that, straight lacing looks a helluva lot better, but is such a pain if say the 2nd to last bar is loose and you have to hunt your way down the line instead of criss cross where we all know how to work that.

2. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Conditioning right out of the box is normally not needed, but thats spilt milk. There was a discussion on the previous AE Appreciation Thread on the Walnut polish being too yellow, and some have suggested the Bourbon polish is a closer match (I have both, and I tend to agree Bourbon matches the tone better). I also believe someone said they alternate Walnut and Bourbon every other polishing, and that they get good results.

As for the Burnishing (something I have not done), IMO I think using one of the Brown shades (instead of Black) may better replicate the original burnishing on the Walnut. The Walnut burnishing is much warmer than the burnishing on the Bourbon shoes. Black may leave your shoes looking more like Bourbon. In either case, use a minimum of the darker color of your choice if you attempt to burnish them.

3. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Were you bar lacing like this:

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straightbarlacing.htm

or like this:

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straighteuropeanlacing.htm

I find the latter easier to tighten/untighten and can also get tighter lacing overall with the European method.

4. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

5. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

Are there ever any deals on recrafting? I have a pair of McTavish that need new soles. It would be $125 via AE or I can buy a pair of seconds from the shoe bank for $147.

6. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

7. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

FYI, there is 1 bourbon Walters St. belt on shoebank for $40 in size 36. It wasn't there a few days ago when I ordered a 34 size. I'm a 32-33 waist, so I would prefer the 36, but I don't want to go through the hassle of returning. Thought someone on here with Bourbon shoes might be interested.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  8. HoldenMI

HoldenMI Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I'm a long time lurker and AE fan, who had a less than satisfying customer experience with the Consumer Assistance Center and wanted to get the thoughts of those more experienced on how to handle it. (I don't want to be unreasonable.) My previous calls to them had left me feeling like customer satisfaction was their number one priority. Of the last few pairs I ordered from Shoe bank, two were not the ones I ordered (leather sole when the online description called for Dainite and tap sole when the specs indicated leather) and one was severely defective to the point that it should not have even been sold as a third (uneven heels?!?). I asked the rep if she would waive the restocking fee, at least for the pairs that were different than the specs on shoe bank (sole different than described) and she refused.

Based on my experience, shoes with different soles (leather, Dainite, or tap) have different listings on shoe bank. The rep claimed that the wrong sole is what made them seconds. She also said that she didn't have the shoes I ordered in front of her to verify what I was telling her. (?!?)

I guess I'm writing to find out your thoughts and as a cautionary tale in regard to ordering from the Consumer Assistance Center as opposed to an outlet store where they can describe the shoes to you when you're on the phone with the SA.

BTW, my local AE retail store in Troy is very helpful. I might just return the shoes to them and see what they think.

Thanks and sorry for the gripe as a first post.

9. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Greetings.

I am new to this forum and new to the pleasures of Allen Edmonds ownership. I also seem to have been immediately afflicted with the same disease that clearly affects many of you.

I will try to keep this short. My first attempt at writing this post failed miserably.

My first shoes were (and still are) a pair of Dark Chili MacNeil 2.0s that I picked up during Soles for Souls promotion. While zeroing in on the right fit for me, I tried on several sizes. My foot measures just about a perfect 9D on the Brannock device. We started with a 8.5D. To me, this felt a bit roomier than what I was used to. So, I had them bring in an 8D. This felt a bit too tight, particularly it was crowding my toes on my right foot which is ever so slightly larger. Then I had an 8E brought in, but I had too much room in the heel. Three separate SAs recommended the 8.5D and indicated that they thought the widest part of my foot was a bit too far foward in the 8D and 8E. So, I made the purchase of the 8.5D. However, I've never gotten over the sensation that they are slightly large. When I cinch the laces down to my satisfaction, the facings seem awfully close together. Less than a 0.5" gap. I've worn them a half dozen times or so now, and I fear I am beyond the possibility of exchanging them. I wouldn't even know what size to request if I could. Is there anything you would recommend at this point? I was thinking maybe some insoles would help me fill out the shoe a bit more. Thoughts?

Also, in my quest for a legitimate rotation of brown shoes, I have made a number of additional purchases. Two 65 last shoes: Bourbon McGregors and Bourbon Fifth Avenues. Both 8.5D as well. The FAs were even a bit snug in the toes at first but seem to be breaking in and feel pretty nice now. The McGregors, on the other hand, seemed awfully roomy in the toe box and were creasing in a way that, to my inexperienced eye, seemed extreme. I exchanged those for Walnut Madison Parks in 8.5D since they matched the $244.90 price that Nordstrom is selling them for right now. I've worn the Madison Parks around the house a bunch as well as out of the house a couple times and feel very good to me and the creasing is what I would consider normal. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the difference between the McGregor and other 65 last shoes in terms of fit. I really like the looks of the McGregor and the fit of my Fifth Aves. I'd take my chances on another pair of McGregors if I wasn't worried about having to return them due to the same fit issues.

Thanks in advance for your sage advice. So much for keeping it short.

Also, in an attempt to contribute something and since I don't believe I've read it on this thread, I see that Brooks Brothers is running 25% off right now. That makes the price of their AE models a bit more reasonable if anyone is looking at the one of the styles that they carry. FWIW.

10. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Have you tried calling and/or sending an e-mail to customer service? I rubbed off some of the burnishing on the toe of my recently purchased factory second Bourbon Fifth Avenues with just a damp cloth and perhaps a bit too much enthusiasm. I took them up on their offer to have me send them in for evaluation. They are now refinishing the shoes for me at no charge. I am told it will be two (more) weeks. Being that I am a new Allen Edmonds customer, I'll have to wait and see how accurate they are. This might be a solution if you can handle being without your shoes for a few weeks.

11. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

I don't think you're being unreasonable. Usually the V-tread/combo tap sole has a different model number (for example the park ave is 5615 but with the combo tap sole is 5616). If you look at your receipt the model number should match what you got. Does the shoe that you received with a leather sole (that's supposed to be Dainite) have a standard offering that comes in leather? If so, you can probably check the model number on that too and call back and say "I ordered model numbers # and # but received # and # erroneously."

12. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

Unfortunately, no. Somewhere, I think it was a Reddit AMA, the CEO explained that they consider Recrafting to be an exceptional value and therefore have no plans to discount it. When compared to the cost of full, or even 'normally' discounted, retail I suppose that's true. When compared to prices at ShoeBank, BCF, eBay, etc. it becomes a bit more complicated. I recently sold 2 pairs I was planning to have Recrafted and replaced them with new shoes acquired at steep discounts. On the other hand, recrafting my shell shoes was a no brainer.

1 person likes this.
  13. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

The MacNeil is a bit tricky to fit IMO. To me it has a very pronounced arch that kind of pulls your foot forward away from the heel, but the toe box is short and narrow (due to the steep taper), even though the ball of the shoe has a good amount of width. I find the heel of the MacNeil to be decently wide too such that it didn't grip my foot very well.

It sounds like you might need to keep an 8.5 in length, but go down in width. When you tried the 8D, was the only part that was tight the toe box? If the width in the ball of the foot to the heel felt fine, you'll probably want to try a C width to get rid of a bit of the volume in the waist of the shoe.

1 person likes this.
  14. HoldenMI

HoldenMI Well-Known Member

Thanks! They are different numbers than what I ordered. I ordered the brown country grain Macneils, which are only available with a Dainite sole and they came with a leather sole. I also ordered dark chili MacNeils with the butyl leather sole and they came with vtread tap soles.

Suggestions? Just call tomorrow and hope to get a nicer customer service rep?

15. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

If its not too much trouble for you, I would skip calling them directly and speak to the Sales Manager at the AE Store that you mentioned in person. Tell them (politely) of what happened when you called the CAC, and of your displeasure with your treatment in light of AE's reputation for customer service. I realize its not the fault of the store (its the CAC), but my guess is they will call the CAC for you and get things squared away right quick. Clearly if they sent you different model #'s than what you order the fault lies with them. Bring the shoes, 1) they should take care of the shipping, 2) they may replace them on the spot if they have inventory, i.e. upgrade you to firsts for your inconvenience.

16. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

For those of you who have tried buying a size 1/2 size down with an increased width, did the shoes actually fit you okay?

17. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Yes, but it depends on the shoe. Also, I try my best to "sample" as many pairs of the same model in the "proper" size, since sometimes there is enough variance that I find a better fit within the same size. <-- Hope that makes sense.

18. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Thanks!

I actually think I should have gotten a 7.5 E for the Wilbert instead of the 8.5 D. The 8.5 is really comfy, but the shoe feels a little large. I am interested in the Clark Street shoes in 7.5 E (my normal size is 8D). I am just a little paranoid they will offer an 8D Clark shoe the day after I purchase an 8E. Shoes do randomly pop up on there after I thought they were extinct. Oh well, I guess I could return if that happens. I kind of wish I would have purchased the Clark instead of the Wilbert, if the Clark fits like the Lasalle does.

19. Uncle

Uncle Well-Known Member

Yes the two pairs fit o.k. I take a 10 C in the 65 last, however the Indy Bartlett doesn't come in a C width, so tried a 9 1/2 D which fit well & felt great out of the box. The 9 1/2 Strandmocks are a bit roomier in the D width, but with a closed V gap, work o.k. The Bartlett was the better fit. (Tough being a C !)

1 person likes this.
  20. Canadianguy

Canadianguy Senior member

Must be something pretty special you want to replace these with. I remember you posting that these are your favorite AE's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.