• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

DapperDriver

Reaction score
The McGregors I ordered on clearance came in yesterday. Flawless, which was a relief since they were firsts. Damn if the burnished brown calf isn't dark - nearly black under some lighting. I'm leaning towards returning them and getting them in chili from the shoebank.

Besides khakis, what would I wear these with? Seems odd to have such an informal style in such a dark color. Would using conditioner / cleaner on them followed by some neutral polish lighten them up at all? My AE firsts always seem to come covered in polish.

shades9323

Reaction score
I did post about this before, but you know I saw a black shaker at BCF (1st quality), I believe it was 10 or 10.5E, for 34.99, with a pile of red clearance stickers on it.

If you ever see a 9d in the shaker for that price grab them up and then pm me!

On another note, how does the Poron insole affect breathability? Seems like the foam aspect would retain heat/moisture? Like the Clark Streets (especially at the current price), but don't want a shoe that makes my foot sweat alot.

Last edited:

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long day of standing and walking around campus today, so I reached (into the waaay back of the closet) for something from the comfort line. Dark brown ATLs.

I picked these up when I was having a bunch of foot pain issues. Well, since resolving most of the issues (decade or so battle with Lyme's and RA), I no longer reach for these. They are a definite candidate for a future AE purge.

harlequin782

Reaction score
I've been wondering: are we just using the description of 'chili' in place of the actual current Dark Chili color? Or are people literally speaking of actual original Chili colored shoes?

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On another note, how does the Poron insole affect breathability? Seems like the foam aspect would retain heat/moisture? Like the Clark Streets (especially at the current price), but don't want a shoe that makes my foot sweat alot.

I wear the Clark St mostly in the summer with no-show socks and light chinos - but have never noticed an issue with heat. I like the fit so much that I have considered picking them up in brown.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@middlepP

Last edited:

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Ritchiebro, that makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pics would help. You might never get them to look like new but all leather can and should be cleaned at some point. Even suede and nubuck can be cleaned.

22busy

Reaction score

Hah! I think you missed the part where they sent me the wrong color shoes.

And, I haven't gotten them yet. However, I ordered my "normal" sizing.

I'm on the slender side of 8.5 D according to brannock, but I have a higher than average instep. I cannot get anything that works in a 5 last -- if I get enough width that I don't crush my toes the heel has way too much room. I can go up a size and then use tongue pads to keep my foot in place, but then it's like walking in clown shoes.

I fit the 201 last very nicely. Like it was made for me. I fit the 333 last in a balmoral almost perfectly. A tiny bit tight until breakin, then as good as I could ever want. My bluchers are a touch big, even, or at least my Flatirons are. I'm wearing larchmonts right now and have been all day, and they have been perfectly comfortable out of the box.

So, the 1943 last is supposed to be based on the 333 last with a different toe. As I promised someone else 2 months ago, I'll let you know how it matches up when (if) I ever see a pair in real life.

I'm also interested in how the 1943 last works for you. I also have a higher than normal instep and 5 last bals don't work for me. Too much gap. The 108 last and 333 last both seem to work better.

I tried on a Cornwalis at the last RDA sale. It didn't fit like a 3 last with different toe for me. It felt like a 5 last with toe like the 3 last. Too much gap. I'm interested in hearing your results.

Your comments about the 201 last sounds interesting. I think my next shoe will be a 201 last shoe. It sounds like it might be a good fit for me. I see a Merlot Hopkinson in my future.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just done something very unexpected and slightly antithetical to my recent shoe edicts. Pics to follow in a few days. Gulp!

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe it's walnut Wednesday, but I'm gonna mix it up with wingtip Wednesday instead

Last edited:

robster35

Reaction score
are mcallisters a little too formal to pair with jeans? im a little worried AE isnt gonna be able to do anything about my mcgregors and the one shoe being bigger than the other. i need another option in dark chili. lookin at the mcallister.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No walnut Wednesday because rain is on the way. Therefore, Othelo soled Malones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads