Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DapperDriver

DapperDriver Well-Known Member

The McGregors I ordered on clearance came in yesterday. Flawless, which was a relief since they were firsts. Damn if the burnished brown calf isn't dark - nearly black under some lighting. I'm leaning towards returning them and getting them in chili from the shoebank.

Besides khakis, what would I wear these with? Seems odd to have such an informal style in such a dark color. Would using conditioner / cleaner on them followed by some neutral polish lighten them up at all? My AE firsts always seem to come covered in polish.

2. shades9323

shades9323 Senior member

If you ever see a 9d in the shaker for that price grab them up and then pm me!

On another note, how does the Poron insole affect breathability? Seems like the foam aspect would retain heat/moisture? Like the Clark Streets (especially at the current price), but don't want a shoe that makes my foot sweat alot.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016

3. shades9323

shades9323 Senior member

4. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Long day of standing and walking around campus today, so I reached (into the waaay back of the closet) for something from the comfort line. Dark brown ATLs.

I picked these up when I was having a bunch of foot pain issues. Well, since resolving most of the issues (decade or so battle with Lyme's and RA), I no longer reach for these. They are a definite candidate for a future AE purge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

I've been wondering: are we just using the description of 'chili' in place of the actual current Dark Chili color? Or are people literally speaking of actual original Chili colored shoes?

6. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

@Neo1 , that makes 2 of us!!!

7. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I wear the Clark St mostly in the summer with no-show socks and light chinos - but have never noticed an issue with heat. I like the fit so much that I have considered picking them up in brown.

8. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@middlepP

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016

9. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Pics would help. You might never get them to look like new but all leather can and should be cleaned at some point. Even suede and nubuck can be cleaned.

10. 22busy

22busy Senior member

I'm also interested in how the 1943 last works for you. I also have a higher than normal instep and 5 last bals don't work for me. Too much gap. The 108 last and 333 last both seem to work better.

I tried on a Cornwalis at the last RDA sale. It didn't fit like a 3 last with different toe for me. It felt like a 5 last with toe like the 3 last. Too much gap. I'm interested in hearing your results.

Your comments about the 201 last sounds interesting. I think my next shoe will be a 201 last shoe. It sounds like it might be a good fit for me. I see a Merlot Hopkinson in my future.

11. parkman24

parkman24 Senior member

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I've just done something very unexpected and slightly antithetical to my recent shoe edicts. Pics to follow in a few days. Gulp!

13. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

I believe it's walnut Wednesday, but I'm gonna mix it up with wingtip Wednesday instead
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016

14. robster35

robster35 Senior member

are mcallisters a little too formal to pair with jeans? im a little worried AE isnt gonna be able to do anything about my mcgregors and the one shoe being bigger than the other. i need another option in dark chili. lookin at the mcallister.

15. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    No walnut Wednesday because rain is on the way. Therefore, Othelo soled Malones.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.