Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smitty2k1

Smitty2k1 Senior member

So like everyone else, I pulled the trigger on the 5th ave's in dark chili with dainite sole. I ordered a 8.5ee so I'll have to wait a few weeks to get it. However, please someone confirm I'm not crazy for ordering 8.5ee:

I went to the Port Washington store last year and was fitted for a 9d. I walked out of there with a 9d Lexington, which is an open lace on the 65 last. My second purchase was a 9d strand (closed lace 65 last) from Brooks Brothers. It was way too tight in the forefoot, I returned it for a 9.5d which was way too long. I returned that for an 8.5eee which fits really good in length but feels a little too wide in the heel and around my ankle. In fact, the outside of the shoe hits my ankle when I walk and causes discomfort. I've also got a pair of McGreggor (seconds) in 9d which are too tight around the forefoot and another pair of McGreggor (firsts) in 9d which fit perfect. Basically I keep trying the 65 last and striking out.

So I ordered this one in an 8.5ee. Crazy? You tell me.

2. davidmross

davidmross Senior member

Interstate 90 in blue:

Who owns these and how are you wearing them? Sockless with shorts? Jeans?

3. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

@smitty2k1 I think that sounds responsible. I tried on my stands (new) and made sure I was fine with that size (12d) and ordered the same.

Wanted park Aves but the price made it worthwhile plus I'm a brogue fan.

4. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

Still don't understand why they discontinued this model!

5. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Thinking of getting the Fifth Ave in either dark chili or brown burnished calf. Which one of the two would be the more versatile color? Or would the Mcallister be a better option? Thanks!

6. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

These were the two that I tossed around. My deciding factor was sitting both colors in front of me in person and how much i love the dark chili ae I already have. Can't go wrong with either.

7. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

If the Strand is the quintessential walnut shoe, and the PA the black... then IMO the fifth ave is that shoe for dark chili.

8. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

I love my oxblood strands personally. Have them in brown as well. The red hues really do it for me.

9. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Yeah. I actually plan on going to my local AE store later today or during the weekend to check them out. Thanks!

10. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Thanks! I actually have the PA in black. The Fifth Ave in dark chili is what I might go with since I'm also eyeing the Cornwallis in brown. Im just waiting for them to go on sale.

11. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

@styleaudit91
    I like that color on your strandmoks. Reminds me a lot of the leather coloring on the Nordstrom acorn hillfire Neumok.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016

12. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

I don't either. This shoe is everything the Strandmok is not. I have a pair, and they are by far my favorite pair of AE. If I could find a new pair, I would buy them and keep them in the box for when my current pair wears out.

13. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

I must be doing it wrong. I have Oxblood and bourbon strands, bourbon fifths, six pairs of walnut calf but no strand, lol.

14. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Anyone have the strandmok 2.0 in suede? I think the last and suede make the shoes feel too long/big. I am going to try and size down. I think they will be a good summer shoe.

15. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

It (the shoes/brogueing) also draws attention to yourself/clothing and in formal settings you do not want to do that. (at least you arent supposed to) Settings like weddings/funerals/dinners are not supposed to be a setting for drawing attention to oneself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.