• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a 13B in the 65 last.
In the 333 last, I find a balmoral design to be comfortable, but a little roomier in 13B. A blucher in the 333 feels slightly too big, but a 12 is too short and a 12 1/2 doesn't exist

harlequin782

Reaction score

Just wanted to start off by saying I am a new member to the forum and look forward to gaining knowledge/insight on AE shoes. I currently have a few as well as some lesser brands.

Today I am wearing MacNeil Brown Grain Wingtips w/ Dainite sole.

Hoping IMG codes are what this forum uses for images.

If anyone knows of any great sales or members selling pairs around a 12d please keep me in mind and I look forward to interacting with everyone.

Edit: IMG codes apparently don't work. Will work on attaching.

Welcome..

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to return the cavanaughs and get the grayson in oxblood instead.... sure it is a tassel instead of a penny, but i think they still look darn good and I know for a fact that the 97 last works extremely well with my foot since i tried the grayson before.

Do you guys think that the grayson loafers work with jeans and slim chinos?

good thing i only wore the cavanaughs on carpet...!

I might be in the minority, but I love the shape of the Grayson and might possibly own one if I thought I could pull off a tassel loafer. I personally think they would look great with jeans or chinos. My wife banned me from getting them, haha.

whodey14

Reaction score

HealthActuary

Reaction score
I might be in the minority, but I love the shape of the Grayson and might possibly own one if I thought I could pull off a tassel loafer. I personally think they would look great with jeans or chinos. My wife banned me from getting them, haha.

yeah i have slim jeans and slim chinos so as long as i have ankle showing then i think i can make the loafers work for casual wear. i really like how the grayson makes my foot look longer compared to the cavanaughs making them look short.

if i recall correctly from last saturday, i think i fit comfortably in an 8D for the graysons even though im 8E for the PA, Strans, and McAllisters.... 7.5E for the dundee 2.0 suedes

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah i have slim jeans and slim chinos so as long as i have ankle showing then i think i can make the loafers work for casual wear. i really like how the grayson makes my foot look longer compared to the cavanaughs making them look short.

if i recall correctly from last saturday, i think i fit comfortably in an 8D for the graysons even though im 8E for the PA, Strans, and McAllisters.... 7.5E for the dundee 2.0 suedes
Ankle is the key. There was a buy it now for $35 on a basically brand new pair in my size on ebay that I still have remorse over.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@HealthActuary I think it's a wise move on the Cavanaugh. Personally I can't see the Grayson with denim - damn good shoes but I just don't see them like that....although you reminded me how stupid I was to pass on the Lake shore drive. If you can get your hands on them, you might try an ascher or Addison, but both would be must-try, very different than the 65.

RichieP

Reaction score

Thanks for the recommendations, gents.  I recently kopped a pair of bourbon McAllister 1sts during the bourbon clear-out.  Have them with the v-tap for wet weather.  Not having a rainy day shoe in burgundy (or some close variant), and sufficiently satisfied with the bourbons, I figured the current sale was a good time to add a merlot v-tap.  Will keep an eye out for Cambridge 2nds... maybe I'll get lucky.

Gotcha. Don't know if you'll be able to find any Cambridges with v-tread though. The standard sole is the Rendenbach double leather sole and combination heel.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah i have slim jeans and slim chinos so as long as i have ankle showing then i think i can make the loafers work for casual wear.  i really like how the grayson makes my foot look longer compared to the cavanaughs making them look short.  

If the Cavanaughs make your feet look short, maybe I should try a pair!

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I assume FR is for factory reject? How is this different from the "no warranty" stamp that is often seen on a few ebay sellers?

FR usually means factory seconds. No warranty usually means previously worn, sold outside channels, etc. I think FR can be recrafted. Not sure if No Warranty will be recrafted.

Chris

RichieP

Reaction score

Gentlemen, I received my AE Shell Strands yesterday and i wanted to get your input on whether or not i should send these back. There are 3 issues i have with the shoes and wanted to see if i'm nitpicking over nothing or if i should be annoyed this happened on a pair of shoes that cost nearly $700.
  1. There is some fraying on the leather on the outer portion of each shoe.
  2. The cap toe portion on the right shoe is not straight and is curved
  3. The broguing on the shoes is uneven. One shoe has it starting just slightly higher than the other. It probably would never be noticeable once the shoes are on my feet, so this one is just me nitpicking.
Thoughts/Feedback?
Late to the party since you're already sending them back, and it's good they'll make another pair for you. I can make a few comments based on your pics and my pair of recently acquired seconds. First, I don't think the cap is crooked so much as it is lasted differently than the other. See the point of the punched hole design at the tip of the shoe? One is closer to the tip of the shoe than the other. The one farther away causes the edge of the cap to ride up higher on the body of the shoe, probably causing the curved look. It is noticeable to me, though. Mine are not exactly even, but are less noticeable than yours. Also on mine, my caps are "fraying" like yours, but what it really looks like to me is that the pinked edges are not laying completely flat. Looks like this is a function of the stitching. The farther away the stitching is from the pinked edge, the more it lifts. It must be a super small fraction of an inch for this to happen, because it's not really obvious to me what the difference is on my captoes vs. the other stitched parts. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Scarlet

Reaction score
Anyone know what the Walters St. belt looks like? Because I just bought one from the Mebane outlet. Along with a pair of Mora 2s.

--

My tribute to this thread:

Last edited:

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gawd I'm so angry that I can't make my 11 Ds work. If anyone has a lead on a 11.5 or 12 B pair (or want to buy a lightly used pair of 11Ds), hook a brother up. Speaking of this... do most of you get your 333 lasts in the same size as your 65?

Like several others (apparently not all - freaks I say!) I find the 333 roomier than the 65. 333 is my best fitting last and is TTS. I have to go up a width (or up a half size, though not ideal) in the 65. If I could only wear 11D, my last order would be:
1. 333
2. 108
3. 201
4. 511 (though if any shorter I would have problems)
26. 65
197. 1943

Get thee behind me, Satan!
tl;dr - feets are weird, yo

This absolutely made my day. Can we do reputation more than once on a single post?

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Like several others (apparently not all - freaks I say!) I find the 333 roomier than the 65.  333 is my best fitting last and is TTS.  I have to go up a width (or up a half size, though not ideal) in the 65.  If I could only wear 11D, my last order would be:
1. 333
2. 108
3. 201
4. 511 (though if any shorter I would have problems)
26. 65
197. 1943

This makes me think I definitely need to try the 108. I like the 201 and 511, but just adore the 333. The 65 just doesn't work right for my foot in bals, but has all the models (until I accept that I need to buy all the Indy line shoes). I still haven't tried the 1943, but I'd really like to because I think the Cornwallis might be the dress shoe I want to bridge Fifth Aves and Strands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads