1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

[​IMG]

Hot as balls in Charlotte today (88). The shoe of the day here would be a walnut Shreveport, but I guess my Strands will do.

Also, PSA, there is a brand new pair of #8 shell Randolph seconds in 12 D on the bay for $300.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Thanks. The brouging is definitely much more toned down.

3. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

AE conditioner/cleaner does take a little off, but if you don't rub it hard it will be fine. Try using Bick 4. It seems to be better on burnished colors.

4. shades9323

shades9323 Well-Known Member

Here are my chestnut 6th avenue.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Wore my Allen-Edmonds for Brooks Brothers black Strands (with wonderful Poiron insoles and combination tap soles and the original heels replaced with an all rubber heels) today.......

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Yes. I regret it now, because I had been looking at them for a few weeks. I just bought the Lasalle 2nds, but I should have held off and purchased the Carlyle instead since it was a closeout color.

I also went to the Nordstrom during my lunch break and they had a Carlyle in 8D (my size). It fit even better than my Leeds in 8D. I think the 108 last fits me even better than the 511.

7. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

My Anniversary Sale Concord Ave loafers in stone suede were delivered today, and for $77 first-quality loafers I couldn't possibly be happier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These will see a lot of warm-weather wear. :slayer:

5 people like this.
  8. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

[​IMG]

I apologize for a second shoe pic, but my croc watch strap was delivered today that I had planned to use with my Orient automatic watch to imitate a Omega Seamaster Acqua terra... So I had to snap some pics.

Here is a close up on the watch for those interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Croc leather strap:

[​IMG]

Watch I was trying to imitate:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I am 99% sure that the AE Cleaner/Conditioner contains some naphtha. Thats what dissolves the burnishing wax. If you don't want the burnishing altered, I would stick to the AE Leather Lotion, Lexol or Bick 4 (though I have never used Bick 4), and use the Cleaner Conditioner only when you want to remove layers of built up wax/polish. If your shoes are properly waxed, then a good brushing and a damp cloth will be sufficient to clean most of the time in my experience.

BTW I've used also used the AE Conditioner Cleaner to soften the gussets on my Daltons in order to get the tongue to set the way I like it. It seems to work well at that, but its possible that any of the other products I mentioned would work just as well.

10. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

While I acknowledge the wisdom of "Strike while the iron is hot." The flip side is going overboard. Its REALLY easy to BUY, BUY, BUY. You may find yourself passing (or having to pass) on something special due to a previous recent purchase.

I say this after picking up 3 pairs in the last month, knowing of the potential ShellMTOgeddon approaching. As you can see its a vicious circle.

11. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Couldn't have said that any better. I recently found myself reacting to my regret of not purchasing some to buying several pairs during the sale. Even purchased shoes that weren't part of the sale like Dark Chili BB Warwicks because if they didn't fit right I was going to buy the sale version in oxblood. The circle is more like a maelstrom I cannot escape.

12. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

An hour later, my pair of brown Concordia showed up. Very impressed by how soft these are!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

@FaRKle Thanks for the boots my friend. I'm sorry that they ran big on you, they fit me great and I'm glad to finally have something in Oxblood.

I'm sure some of you will cringe at my style choice here but hey, I'm still in my (late) 20's and the work day is over. Time to go grab some food and drinks, have a good evening everyone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  14. joman8390

joman8390 Well-Known Member

I was hoping to get some sizing advice, I'm a 9D on the 65 last with moderate v gap, I'm looking to get a Cornwallis and Leeds, should I stick to a 9D on the 1943 and 511 lasts? Also does the 1943 last tend to have less v gap for those with a high instep than the 65 last?

Thanks!

15. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

You snagged those from under me by about an hour, maybe less.

16. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

True. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter a whole lot. And I've already purchased 5 shoes since 2015, so it's not like I really need more. I also don't want to have to explain why I needed a 6th pair to my wife. [​IMG] Also, I've gotten several great deals this last year. Picked up a Leeds 1.0 (2nds) for $137, Malone for $197, Wilbert for $195, and now the Lasalle for $179.

17. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

I bought the same shoe from a friend on here a few months ago, and couldn't be happier. BTW--nothing wrong with your fashion choices, and I'm in my 40s.

18. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

I'm glad they're working out for you! The nice thing about the Dalton is that you can dress it down with denim no problem. Oxblood appears to go well with your shirt.

19. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

Do you gentlemen notice a marked difference in fit between a blucher and an Oxford? I am currently wearing the Oak Street, CXL, 65 last, 10.5D. It seems like they slip as the day goes on. I don't seem to have the same issue with the Rush Street, also CXL, 65, and 10.5D. I am attributing it to style, but it could be only 4 eyelets on Oak Street. Any thoughts?

20. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

My only complaint is the odd discoloration on your right leg... I get honeycombing, but that usually happens around the knees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.