• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure you got an atypical pair; mine look very much like yours and nothing like @M635Guy 's. And none of them look like the stock website pic. I'm hoping they will darken as they age. Given my walnut Black Hills have done so (and after 2 years, they're currently darker than my new cognac McT's!), I think I'll be in good shape. Just may take a while...

I think it is a color temp/white balance thing. I have one pic of mine that look much more similar to what is on the website:

But they look much closer to my other pix (or even the left shoe) than that in real life...

Well, goes without saying I NEVER go by the AE website pictures. I come here (well the old thread) and search back through the posts. The lighting (and software on the digital cam) does have a big effect on the color. Between the two examples above, I think mine look more like RichieP's but with a little extra burnishing (?), though the left shoe of M635Guy is close too, if the redness is due to the lighting.

I'm sure they'll patina with age nicely, but again, I'm pretty happy with the shade right now.

EDIT: BTW my pictures were taken in crappy indoor lighting. Full sunlight, and I think I'm super close to RichieP's.

Last edited:

jaba

Reaction score
Trying to pick a shoe that I can wear in wet weather but can straddle the line between casual and business casual (wool pants or chinos, shirt and tie). From the clearance section, I'm looking at the Dalton Walnut with Dainite or the Dark brown Suede Strand (dainite sole). I don't have any shoes in either color.

Any opinions?

Last edited:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trying to pick a shoe that I can wear in wet weather but still work with business casual (wool pants or chinos, shirt and tie). From the clearance section, I'm looking at the Dalton Walnut with Dainite or the Dark brown Suede Strand (dainite sole). I don't have any shoes in either color.

Any opinions?

I'm afraid to wear suede in wet weather.
Is there a Clark Street or Lexington available in your size?

Last edited:

RichieP

Reaction score

@RichieP Never tried the 1757, but asked them over the phone about it. Only info I got was that its a B34 derivative but for shoes not boots, so think large toe box with lots of room up front.

Thanks. Haven't tried anything B34, but sounds like I could be in for my Gobi suede experience- my feet were absolutely swimming in those.

The Boone was really what I had in mind when I gave in and bought the suede McGregors last summer. But the red gumite soles do remind me of that old pair I loved and when I slipped and fell on my butt after it had been raining. Of course, now I'm smarter and know I shouldn't wear suede in the rain. ;)

Oh well, did I mention I was on a budget this year? :embar:

Last edited:

RichieP

Reaction score

I think it is a color temp/white balance thing. I have one pic of mine that look much more similar to what is on the website:
But they look much closer to my other pix (or even the left shoe) than that in real life...
Yeah, I doubt many of us attempt to do any white balance correction, but I do not see one iota of red tones in mine. Like I've said before, dives me batty.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"I'm afraid to wear suede in wet weather." A repost from January to address suede and wet weather. I just picked up some suede McNeils and a hat tip to Peppercorn for suggesting Tarrago Nano to protect the suede. I had never heard of the product and thought I would share for those who have the same concerns. I bought a can, treated my shoes and wifes boots and it worked just like it did in the video.

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I'm afraid to wear suede in wet weather."

A repost from January to address suede and wet weather.

I just picked up some suede McNeils and a hat tip to Peppercorn for suggesting Tarrago Nano to protect the suede. I had never heard of the product and thought I would share for those who have the same concerns. I bought a can, treated my shoes and wifes boots and it worked just like it did in the video.

Just a thought from a chemist. While I'm sure the Tarrago product works wonderfully, don't be enamored by the pseudo-science marketing. There is nothing "nano" going on there that isn't going on in any other protectant spray. The AE spray works just as well. Get whichever is cheaper.

EDIT: Two more things: 1) Don't forget it doesn't last forever, you have to respray periodically (mostly based on how often you wear them and what you expose them to). 2) Water is not the real issue when it comes to suede. Its all the other crap that typically comes along with it like dirt and SALT(s).

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@RichieP Not sure what I would recommend...i have a Gobi myself along with a Normandy. The Gobi feels significantly roomier - whatever that last is (809?) is the largest I've ever tried. But on the other hand, I tried something else at one point on the B34 and remember thinking it was also super large. Sorry, rambling, but maybe start with your normal size first - I think the B34 was supposed to be larger than the 1757. Hopefully others can chime in - kahuna?

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@jaba Just a thought from an EE (
1f60a.png
), whenever it rains a little or a lot, it gives me an excuse to wear my Aberdeens - one of AEs greatest of all time. They hold up really well in the rain. I have also worn my lug-soled Dalton - the polish hasn't done so great on those, they'll need some TLC pretty soon.

Last edited:

Moose22

Reaction score
I haven't followed your entire saga, but congratulations!

Hah! I think you missed the part where they sent me the wrong color shoes.

And, I haven't gotten them yet. However, I ordered my "normal" sizing.

I'm on the slender side of 8.5 D according to brannock, but I have a higher than average instep. I cannot get anything that works in a 5 last -- if I get enough width that I don't crush my toes the heel has way too much room. I can go up a size and then use tongue pads to keep my foot in place, but then it's like walking in clown shoes.

I fit the 201 last very nicely. Like it was made for me. I fit the 333 last in a balmoral almost perfectly. A tiny bit tight until breakin, then as good as I could ever want. My bluchers are a touch big, even, or at least my Flatirons are. I'm wearing larchmonts right now and have been all day, and they have been perfectly comfortable out of the box.

So, the 1943 last is supposed to be based on the 333 last with a different toe. As I promised someone else 2 months ago, I'll let you know how it matches up when (if) I ever see a pair in real life.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Moose22 Highly recommend checking out 1) player 2.0 and 2) Madison park. You'd be amazed when you get the last that truly works for you how comfortable they are - and I think you're a good candidate for either the 108 or 222. And glad you remembered - I'm still interested to hear about the Cornwallis.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm afraid to wear suede in wet weather.
Is there a Clark Street or Lexington available in your size?

Don't be afraid to wear suede in the rain. Just use a waterproof spray of your choice.

I wouldn't wear it in mud or salty slush, though. Although suede can be cleaned fairly effectively of mud and (nonsalt) stains with a good suede shampoo and stain eraser.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks again, I am definitely set on the brown FA as the next one. After that, not so sure. TBH, I've never loved the looked of a LWB, so if I was gonna get a shell burg, it probably would be a Cambridge, so I may wait on that. If I decide not to though, what about the Jefferson 2.0 vs standard McAllister? What's the difference?

Also, the more I look at the 5S boot, the more I like it. Would brown or black be better if I wanted to go that way for the second pair after the brown FA and wear it with a suit? I don't have to be in conservative business dress more than twice a week so although I always wear suits I have a little leeway to try things that might be seen as less conservative sometimes.

Also, I know it's been mentioned before that the walnut strand doesn't fit well into this selection at this point, but is there any strand that could work? Isn't the strand technically more conservative than McAllister?

* with the Jefferson 1.0 the difference was absence of brogueing on the throat and the better leather and other Indy line bells and whistles. I'm not sure what they did in the way of changes with the 2.0.

*. Regarding the Fifth Streets, since it has the medallion and punch strip, I'd say color is strictly your personal preference.

*. Yes, color being equal the Strand (half brogue) is technically a smidge more formal than the McAlister (full brogue). Not so much, though, to matter to me. So if you prefer the strand, any color as you move darker from walnut will be increasingly versitile.

Oinkedmoo

Reaction score
Chili Mcallisters today. They're a lot more red than they were a year and a half ago. I think this was my first shoe bank purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads