Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

I ordered a shoe rack and misc other items from Woodlore, figuring I would save a few bucks by not having them pass through AE for what looked like the same exact thing. I knew the companies worked together, but I was really surprised that the Woodlore address was...wait for it...Port Washington, WI. Are these companies owned by the same people?

2. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

My understanding is Woodlore makes most of the cedar shoe trees you see out there under most names. Don't know about the ownership.

3. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

Woodlore is owned by AE and was a division created by AE in 1987 according to this.

4. danwatts2005

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I love to see American companies with the ingenuity to compete against the bigger competition.

5. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Grubby tile, nice shoes.
    Nothing original, but:
    Walnut (Strand) Wednesday.

[​IMG]

6. PbgGuy

PbgGuy Active Member

Question for some of you gurus: got a pair of merlot McGregors a few weeks back and gave them an initial treatment with some saphir renovateur and some AE merlot polish. Probably too much merlot polish. Brushed them down, but probably not enough given the excess polish, and set them aside for a couple weeks. Took them out today and one looks pretty decent, but the other just has that dull matte look on the toe. Been brushing it like a maniac and following it up with the cloth and its getting somewhat better, but still not great.

Do I continue to hit it with the brush/cloth? Or do I perhaps try and polish over it (seems counter-intuitive) and re-brush/cloth? Other suggestions?

Yes, yes, dumb question I know.....

7. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Very impressive showing

8. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Did you use the premium polish? If yes, you are not gonna get much shine out of it. To get a decent shine you have to use actual wax polish. Word of advice, take it easy with leather conditioners and color creams, especially. A little goes a long way. Also, you have to be extra cautious with burnished colors, like the oxblood McGregors that you have, not to take too much of the burnishing off.

9. danwatts2005

Assembled the shoe rack mentioned above, and I have a real problem. I have an empty space for another pair. What do I do now?

10. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

Serious question? You bought the wrong shoe rack. Bring it back and exchange it!

You need space for much more than one pair. And you know it!

11. Iwearkilts

Iwearkilts Member

After wearing my oxblood Dalton for 2 days. It fits comfortably, and I really like them. It's the steal of my lifetime. I'm going to keep them. Already eyeing the pair of chili Dalton, yessire.

12. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. danwatts2005

Actually, I was already thinking ahead. If I get the other pair, then I'll add another rack to the order. So I have room.

14. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

You lucky dog, you! I was just getting started with AE when I spotted these and the Doubleday loafer and they were already on their way out of the Shoebank. Tried my normal 10D size and the 2592 last was too narrow. Never did find another size to try. And here I was getting back into baseball lately too. :angry:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016

15. PbgGuy

PbgGuy Active Member

Yeah, used the premium polish. Applied it straight from the tube which I think was also a mistake as it went on much heavier than anticipated. The color is actually merlot, not oxblood, so I'm not sure if thats burnished or not?

Thinking im going to continue to brush/cloth it to get some of the excess out, then switch over to clear wax polish (saphir) which I've generally had success with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.