Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@shades93238.5 definitely, not sure about the B vs C. What on the 114 are you comparing? Soft suede Cavanaughs, Nashuas with a hamlet flex sole, etc could feel looser than a hard as a rock Stowe...

2. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

Which models will be on sale when the Anniversary Sale kicks off in a couple of days?

3. shades9323

shades9323 Senior member

HI Neo,

My 114 lasted shoe is the Maxfield.

4. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I thought to join walnut Wednesday, but then I read my Fenway wingtips are considered brown.
    [​IMG]
    On another note, I am considering the burgundy cordovan Leeds. I love to hear any comments pro or con on this shoe from those who own it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  5. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Speaking generally, I think a burg shell PTB is a pretty versitile shoe, especially in fall/winter.

As to the Leeds specifically, I'm afaid I can't help; mine are vintage Hanovers.

In the spirit of the day ...

[​IMG]

6. ZheNewYork

ZheNewYork Well-Known Member

Hi, gents. I have a pair Mcallister creases differently than all my other calfskin shoes. I've worn it about 10 times with regular conditioning and polishing, and the crease reveals some different shades of color:
    [​IMG]
    Does it look like it's beginning to crack?

And this is what I consider a normal crease:
    [​IMG]

7. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

If you've only worn it 10 times and have conditioned/polished more than once or twice at the most, you're over-caring for the shoes. That might be part of the issue, but it doesn't look like that is going to crack to me. I've got generally similar wrinkles on my McTavishes (almost the same shoe with different leather), and I just rub some Saphir on the area once in a while, and make sure the shoe trees are deeply set when I put them away.

8. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Regarding the location of the creasing, nothing unusual.

Regarding the severity, perhaps more than one would hope to have at this stage but not unusual for a shoe in this price range.

Regarding the creases revealing different shades of color, my suspicion is you may have used too much product and/or applied it too frequently. I think if asked what is the proper number of applications of "regular conditioning and polishing" over the initial ten wears, I believe the proper answer is "zero or one." If you have treated it more than that over the short time you have had them, that might be your problem, ie the creases being of different color than the rest of the shoe. Happily, that is easily fixed.

9. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

I actually wore these Monday. I'm wearing Strands today, but since the count already posted them, I thought I would put up something different.

[​IMG]

10. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@shades9323 Not sure then - personally id go with the same width to start. I have a maxfield In a d width (I measure as a c) and it doesn't feel wide at all.

11. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

[​IMG]

Would John Sterling now call you Mr. Rellington... Mr. Relevancy! I found a pair of NY too. Unfortunately, too big. Mostly I see lots of St. Louis and Boston (BARF!!!). Also found a Yankees two tone Neumok, but a little too pricey for me. Good score.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  12. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

AE at BCF seems to have been drying up around here in NJ. Though I did see a pair of Oxblood Strands. In size 5.5 :-(

13. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

As others have said, if the fit is good, wear 'em like you stole 'em.

14. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Can you post a pic of both side by side? Frankly, I think they look really good. The SA at the NC store is a really good guy, too.

15. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I tried on a pair of these at BCF in brown and should have bought them. The soles were super soft and the upper leather was soft as well. 2 things held me back: They were marked $89.99 and there was freshly laid snowpack outside. Spring was a far away dream.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.