1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aeyo

aeyo Member

Inaugural wearing of my new brown Strands, purchased during the seconds flash sale. My initial pair of Strands were walnut, and when I first put them on I thought they were the perfect Strand color. Then I got my Strands in oxblood and the first day I wore them I decided they were the pinnacle of the Strand family. Well, it looks like I have proven myself wrong again - this brown pair looks better than I could have imagined. The moral of this story? I need to stop buying so many Strands.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

That you got some really good looking shoes for only a little more than the price of crappy chinese-made athletic shoes?

Blame taken.

Enjoy those. They look like a perfect shoe. Cool and on the casual side.

1 person likes this.
  3. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

Brown shell strands are the pinnacle, in my opinion. Other than the last not matching my foot, they are just about the best of everything you could ask for in a brogue or semi-brogue.

Those are nice looking shoes. I think you have a perfect selection now.

4. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

5. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Comparing mine to that picture, you're right. My Cognac fall in-between the two.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  6. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

They are closing out the bourbon Strand, which looks awesome. And the brogue suede Strand is both awesome and very different. It's also on clearance. You should pick up both of those while you still have a chance.
    And if you've never seen the chili Strand, you don't know what you're missing.

7. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

[​IMG]
    Merlot Lexingtons. One of my favorite pairs. Minimally MTO'd by adding Dainite before it was stock.

2 people like this.
  8. piyi

piyi Well-Known Member

Wearing my daltons today. [​IMG]
    I have been reading this thread lately.... Sooooo today I purchased another pair of daltons from the shoe bank, in black, with dainty soles for $199 and a pair of PAs in merlot for $187. At those prices what "sane" person could resist. There were several more I would have liked to purchase, but I need to try and practice some restraint. I also want to say to all who have participated in this thread, thank you for your support.
    PIYI

9. aeyo

aeyo Member

Believe me, if they had the brogue suede in my size, I'd be about $200 poorer right now.

10. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

;) I went in to try on some of the boots - I'm kind of wanting another pair that I don't mind stomping around in a bit but are more versatile than my Indy boots.

For clarity, the Cognacs were at $137 - I didn't even look at the pricing on the tans. That is a stinking deal! They had several other pairs of Cognacs in the store in various sizes in both the dark cognac and the tan cognac.

The pix don't do them justice - I REALLY like the variegated leather, and am already preferring the darker welt and edge to my tan McT's.

I guess I really am building a McTavish army, though I'm done unless they bring out some other colors. I don't prefer the pebbled tan and I don't wear black shoes enough to justify getting a pair of black McT's. (though the SA at the store was wearing a pair [​IMG])

Mine actually fall a little redder than the ones I saw in the store, so the range is pretty crazy. For that matter, my tans have a lot more mixed tones than the ones in the pic, too.

I'd guess these came back because they are so far from what is pictured on the site and other examples like my original 4045's, which are presumably from a different run. Maybe the color variation in the leather was an issue for the original buyer. I can't find any marks, stitching faults or anything that bothers me.

I'm really pleased, and a little embarrassed. I'll try to post pix of all three together before we leave for the weekend...

11. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Shell MacNeil today
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

1 person likes this.
  13. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

[​IMG]

Pair 10 arrived. Just over one year since I got bit. Next pair, I have to start a new row.

14. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Here's a brown grain Dundee 2.0 I tried. It's the same size as my Bleecker St (10D). The suede Gobi in that size had way too much width for me. Tried a 9.5D and my big toe was hitting the front of the shoe. Not sure if I could ever consider a Dundee as sleek as a Bleecker street, though. It's just a completely different shape me.

[​IMG]

15. danwatts2005

Damnit Man! I don't have a money tree out back! Those look great!

16. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

@M635Guy @ace13x. My head asplode. These cognacs are all over the place!! Can't wait to see your pic of all three. It's looking like if we put all of ours together, no two would be alike...

17. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I sent them back. They fit well, and this is hard to describe, but I felt unsteady walking around the house in them. I think it may have been the relative softness of the Dainite on these. It was the first time I tried a dainite shoe, so I guess that was it. My v-tread Bleeckers are rock steady.

1 person likes this.
  18. danwatts2005

I know what you mean. I have two Dainites, and I guess I take the rubber for granted. I've come close to breaking my ass several times.

19. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Moose, I hope the Cornwallises work for you; it is a beautiful shoe. That said, based on your preferred lasts, perhaps don't get your hopes up. Like you, the 333 fits me like a glove after break-in. The 201 is perfect out of the box, and the 108 works for me as well. The 65 is tricky - I have to go up a width and then get lucky with sample variation. For my foot, the 1943 was shorter, narrower, and lower volume than the 65, which is shorter, narrower, and lower volume than the 333. I've seen the supposed relationship between 333 and 1943 as well, but other than chisel toes, I don't get it.

For me, AE lasts go something like:
    1. 333
    2. 108
    3. 201 (the top 3 are all pretty close)
    4. 511 (some variation here, dalton is good but Leeds a bit short)
    6. 65 (can get it to work by going up a width and getting love right sample, bals better than bluchers)
    97. 1943

Everybody is different, of course - I seem to remember pepper disliking the 108, but obviously the 511 works for him. I hope the Cornwallis works for you, but I was never able to find a 1943 that worked. If MTO was still alive, I'd be all over a Cornwallis on the 333. Audible sigh. Has me wondering about fit of C&J...

20. danwatts2005

[​IMG]

Here's a take on the recent Cognac color discussion. It makes me feel like maybe I'm a bit redundant. Mine are pretty close to Chili McAllister.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.