1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior Member

I actually liked the flash sale a lot. I hope they do it on other models throughout the year. I am usually partial to firsts on sale or clearance over seconds, so I'll bite whenever I can.

2. Royteane

Royteane Well-Known Member

Any trick or treatment can help improving AE leather water resistant? I live in tropical which rains unpredictable.

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

You can try Burgol water protectant. But a good wax polish on your toes will repel stray drops just fine. An occasional shower won't destroy your shoes, you just need to give them adequate time to air dry between wearings and condition if necessary. If you don't need dressy/formal footwear, then a more rugged leather like chromexcel or chrome pak would be a good choice for a rainy day pair. Even suede, if pre-treated properly, can hold up to rain and snow quite well. Just keep all leather footwear clear of salt water and you'll be fine.

You could also carry around a pair of overshoes/galoshes in your car or at the office as a good insurance policy.

Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016

4. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Senior Member

Two questions:

1. What is the difference between the Randolph, Patriot, and Brooks Presidio?

2. What are your preferred AE casual shoes that you find yourself wearing with jeans or chinos on weekends?

5. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

For me, that is super-easy: any of my three pairs of the McTavish (I've got the tan, the cognac and the cognac-tan mistakes, the last of which is my favorite)

6. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Passengers
    [​IMG]
    Fenway
    [​IMG]
    Mapleton
    [​IMG]
    Chili Benton's with mini lug sole
    [​IMG]
    Malone
    [​IMG]
    All of them bluchers and all of them with an Othello or mini-lug sole.

7. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior Member

Most of the year, I pick between Rush Street, McTavish, Gobi, Bellevue, and now Oak Street. Summer is usually Kirkwood or Maritime, with shorts.

8. naspratt

naspratt Distinguished Member

Wearing my Freiburgs today
    [​IMG]

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

The Randolph is a full-strap penny loafer. The strap goes all the way down the the welt. Those are considered dressier types of loafers. However, the mocc stitch is kind of heavy on that shoe making it ever so slightly more casual. The Presidio has a much finer mocc stitch making it also on the dressier end on the loafer spectrum. Both the Persidio and Randolph are on sleeker, more tapered last's, which adds to the dressy meter as well. The Patriot is a casual penny loafer, with a heavy, thick hand-sewn vamp and a rounded toe shape.

2) either my Dundee cordovan chukka boots or my Shaker Heights ankle boots. Grey distressed McTavishes tend to take over during the summer.

10. Cocophone

Cocophone Member

Yesterday, I received a pair of Wilbert shoes that I had purchased online from the latest sale. The sole seems to be more "rustic" than an old pair that I've worn for many years. I looked closely at the online pictures and they do seem to be "rustic" looking too. I've decided to not worry about the wrinkling leather. Has anyone purchased Wilbert shoes lately?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Neo1

Neo1 Distinguished Member

2. I have 2 Nashuas, 2 McTavish & a Rush Street but for weekend / casual I go back to the Freiburg & Aberdeen the most. When its warmer my Neumok & Grand Cayman get a little more use. I like all of these but I'm overloaded with casual stuff.

I think pep covered #1 really well.

12. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior Member

I just picked up some burgundy crinkle leather Winfield shoes on ebay. Does anybody know how old this style of shoe is or how to treat the leather. Information is lacking on the internet when I did some basic searches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Burzan

Burzan Distinguished Member

Weather is warming up here so sockless season is upon us. Breaking out one of my favs today after they have been packed away for the winter.

Golden Brown CXL Maritime boat shoe.

[​IMG]

14. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

I'm starting to think you and I have very similar tastes.

Add one more to the list. Wore my golden brown CXL Maritimes today as well. Had to decide between them and my navy ones.

15. MattRiv

MattRiv Distinguished Member

1. Presidio is a more sleek shoe than the Randolph or the Patriot.

2. I have a Strandmok and a Kirkwood that I wear for casual. I also wear my dress shoes as "casual shoes" depending on what I'm up to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.