Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

Oxblood Daltons, Maiden Voyage today. Love Em.

[​IMG]

2. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

$137 McGregors in all colors, too, if any of the 5 last guys need some gunboats.

3. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

I'm not seeing the match madness.

As for all green wingtips, maybe. Depending on how green. And whether or not it's March 17 and you're surrounded by beer drinkers.

Or maybe with red socks in December at the company ugly sweater party!

I'm starting to come around to the idea.

** edit: I found 'em. That green is definitely drunken St Patricks, not a muted olive that might work with normal fashions.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  4. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

There is a pair of black shell Bradleys in my size on the shoebank for $299.00.

5. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I saw that. From the general posts it seems they fit bigger than the normal 65 last. Not sure if people have sized down however.

6. SuperHiro

SuperHiro Member

In my case, I wouldn't say it was bigger, but roomier. I probably COULD have if I was inclined to dance that dance, however.

I went so far as to wear a McGregor on one foot and a McAllister on the other.

7. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Playing around with the settings/flash on a new camera, figured why not take a few pictures of some of my shoes (the ones that fit on the rack, at least).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

I haven't followed your entire saga, but congratulations!

And now I must ask...did you adjust your standard sizing? I want to put more effort into this when I jump on the Cornwallis.

If anyone else wants to weigh in on their Cornwallis sizing, that'd be great, too.

9. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

What he said. FWIW, I used to be adverse to the burgundy and a darker gray. Even that has become a favorite. Medium gray is a no-brainer with it and navy with burgundy looks really sharp while remaining conservative IMO. If oxblood is a little loud, it can be toned down with polish over time.

A repost from last week:
    [​IMG]

Black shoes with either suit will look more formal in today's society (especially with a white shirt), so I reserve black for more formal occasions and winter church services. Black is the safest because burgundy and navy at a winter funeral may look out of place. Brown will work better with the gray than the blue IMO, but will look good with both, and it is passible at a winter funeral.

Also, if you are wearing a suit more than once a week, you may want to go ahead and plan for black and one other color, purchasing black first.
    If I were wearing a suit less than twice a week, I would go with burgundy/merlot/oxblood.

A different approach may be to assess the base color of your tie leanings. If you lean towards blue based ties, I would go black shoes; red based ties would be burgundy; and orange, green, and yellow bases would be brown. For purples I may go burgundy or black.

10. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Just ordered the brown Kirkwood and cognac McTavish. Ordered the McT 0.5 size longer, as they didn't have my usual size. It was either that or the usual size and + 1 in width. So we will see... By the way, does AE do price adjustments? Few days ago I purchased Flatiron firsts for $217 and now they are down to $177. It's not that much but bugs me a little.

11. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@cc808314
    1. Call about the flatiron - they should adjust it.
    2. McTavish in either configuration you described won't work, sorry to burst your bubble. They just run really large to start with.
    3. Enough about that damn brown Kirkwood already - you guys are cruel.

12. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Did you go with an 8D? If so, I'm a bit more optimistic than Neo. Might have to go with thicker socks, but I have a feeling you'll be fine.

13. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

I will not give up. I will make it work :) . Thanks

Yes, went with the 8D from CAC, as I couldn't get hold of anyone from the Mebane, NC store. I was thinking of also ordering 7.5E, but didn't.

14. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

A thin foam or terry cloth insole does wonders for a slightly large/wide shoe, trust me.

15. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

Wondering if anyone can help me with Dundee (1.0) fitting, especially as it relates to the Gobi and Bleecker Street. I have the latter two and they couldn't be further apart in fit. The Gobi is very roomy and looks unstructured and quite casual on my feet. By contrast, the Bleecker Street seems very narrow and fitted, resulting in a really sleek look. I'd like to add a pair of navy Dundees but want them to fit/look more like the Bleecker Streets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.