Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

I'm a 10.5 D. I saw them as well. Thanks!

2. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Anyone here have experience buying belt seconds at the shoe bank? I'm wondering what kind of defects to expect on the belts.

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I have 3. One is a "second," and I can't find a flaw. Maybe some sloppy stitching around the backside of the buckle, but who's gonna see that? The other two are not actually second quality but "made for outlets." Theyre perfectly adequate. Maybe the stitching is not as nice as the full retail versions. But again, I'm not that much into belts and these are good enough. All three are basic dress wide, In merlot, black, and brown.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016

4. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Pep - Would you say that the leather on your "made for the outlet" belts is much harder, almost doesn't feel like leather? I picked one of these few weeks back but I am not sure if it will soften up over time and what the longevity will be.

5. peppercorn78

Yes, I would say it is stiffer for sure, but I don't find it uncomfortable. If it breaks down, I'll step up to full first quality for the next one. Guess I still wasn't ready to spend more than 30$ for a belt yet. That may change, as I never thought I would break the 100$ threshold for jeans and shirts, or the $300 threshold for shoes. But I'm grasping at this one last straw of sanity here...

6. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Ebay has really good deals on used belts, usually around $30-$50. Most of them have light use and minor scuffs that will develop fairly soon after wearing them anyway, which usually clean up with a little renovator.

7. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

@Peppercorn78 thank you!

Since we are on the subject of belts, is the bowing of a belt a sign that it is worn too tight, and can it be corrected/minimized somehow? Will hanging them prevent bowing? Thanks

8. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

@Neo1 I need you expert advice. I am thinking of picking up some suede Cavanaughs. I remember you mentioned that the 114 last runs short. How is the length and width compared to 511 and 606?

9. peppercorn78

I'm having trouble visualizing what you're asking. Could you post some pictures? Are we talking about while wearing or while hanging? I think some distortion a belts shape can be expected depending on the curve of your waist. But I think the easiest way to tell if your belt is too right is if you are on the last notch or two.

10. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

I have the brown alligator dress belt from shoebank, was hell of a deal at $49 for a belt which retails at $395. I didn't find anything wrong with the belt at all. It even came in a bag (like shoe bag but for belt).

11. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

A belt is going to contour to your body, so the bowing is usually a sign that your stomach is pushing down on the front of the belt and your ass is pushing up the back (yes I have this problem, too). Hanging should help.

12. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@cc808314 Very different fit than those others. Much more what you would think of as an absolute standard size/shape. No extra width, no elongation. Basically the only last I would consider to be absolutely true to length. I'd go TTS or up a half if necessary. It's particularly bad for high arches but the suede helped out a little.

13. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Most of my belts bow with the top edge of the belt - being worn in the direction i usually slide them through (left side of zipper) - smaller than the bottom edge... Small waist. My fix is simple: when i notice the 'bend' or bow occurring, i start putting the belt on sliding through the loops begging on the right side. Flips the belt over, and after a couple wears...back to straight. All my belts hang, btw, so doesn't seem like a fix unless you're weighting them at the bottom or something.

14. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    With a slight chance of rain it gives a reason to wear the rubber sole Benton. The socks looked black in
    my dimly lit bedroom this morning. But if that's the worst thing to happen this morning it will be a great day.

[​IMG]

15. Maxy

Maxy Senior member

Hi guys, coming back after a while.. whats the general consensus of HAGERSTOWN CAMP MOC BOOT ?

AE have great sale on them and thinking to buy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.