Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Thank you, gentlemen. Have a great Sunday!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016

2. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Boone for Easter services.
    [​IMG]

3. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

At the AE store in Bellevue, WA yesterday, tried on the Addison and suede Dundee, both super comfortable! May have to order the former, really liked the look with denim. Shout out to the mgr April, she is awesome. J
    [​IMG]

4. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Happy Easter to those who celebrate. @CMT1 's work on his Rogues were motivation to break out the neutral polish, brushes and rags. My Rogues and Shreveports are better for the effort and inspiration.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Looking great my man! Happy Easter!

6. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

[​IMG]

Started the day with Park Avenues in brown Antibes calf, which slightly lighter shade of brown and were made few years back. The leather is buttery soft.

[​IMG]

Continues the rest of the day in vintage chili grain Florsheim Kenmores ( sorry no AE). I really like the style and shape of these gunboats.

Enjoy the rest of Sunday, gentlemen!

7. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I dig the Kenmores! Remind me of my Alden gunboats! The PA's are really classy too!

8. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

Great pair of shoes. I have a pair of black ones and would love to find a pair like those.

9. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

An AE project:
    Mink oil color correction.
    Golden Rush Easter.
    [​IMG]

10. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

That looks pretty good - comments on the products and process?

11. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

What was wrong with them?

12. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

I got lucky and found a pair on the Shoebank on deep close out. Was a toss-up between these and the Kenwood, Westchester won out for working slightly better with an odd jacket and wool trousers (to my mind, at least).

13. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

What size are you? There's a shell cordovan pair of 11.5 Bs on ebay for $300 right now.

14. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

The originals had a high degree of color variability by panel (seconds and got a great deal, so not a complaint, just the problem to be solved). Mink oil paste was the product, process was pretty much rubbing in a bit and later rubbing off the excess (how much defined "a bit" and how long "later" meant were the tricky parts, just had to do by feel. The bonus is that mink oil paste is a waterproofing agent, so that was added to the native water resistance of CXL.

Previously, I had actually called Horween to ask their advice about color adjustment. They weren't particularly helpful, which is why it was a surprise to me when another SF member (actually, I think it was you @M635Guy !) stated that Nick Horween recommended neatsfoot oil to rejuvenate CXL, which of course may darken it. I'm still mostly happy with how this worked out, but the neatsfoot thing would have been good to know. My original post on the process with before/after photos is below. I'm still working to darken the right shoe (especially toe cap) a bit to match better, but they are perfectly wearable now . . .

Quote:
    The only real issue remaining is the left toe cap. I frankly don't have the stones to try lightening it with anything that would actually work, so I think it's either go as-is or try to darken the right toe cap a bit to match. The picture above exaggerates the difference just a bit but is a pretty close proxy for the difference IRL.

I'd like to get the opinions of the barn weasels out there: call it a day, or darken the right toe cap a bit? The differences are subtle enough now to wear in public IMO, but could always be better ...
    Thanks in advance!

15. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

I posted some DIY instructions on improving cheap shoe trees a couple of weeks ago. Since then, I finished the remaining JAB trees I had. One of the 6 (total) had a thicker than normal handhold/shelf, rendering my 1/2" screws inadequate. In this case, I needed a 5/8" screw, which are more difficult to find. I ended up just cutting a longer screw (hint: dremel or similar). The 5/8" will still fit under the handhold, but the pliers become less optional. Moral of the story: measure before purchasing hardware. Or, if you wanna go all Reagan, TRUST BUT VERIFY.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.