1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

1. Yes
    2. They're only $245!
    3. In fact, if you buy two pairs it's essentially like getting the second pair for $95!

1 person likes this.
  2. davidmross

davidmross Senior member

Shoes trees and naked. I only use the shoe bags when travelling.

3. barto78

barto78 Well-Known Member

Still giving the 5A purchase some thought. I recently purchased Chili Carlyle's and already own Walnut Strand, Walnut Dalton and Burnish Brown 5A's which should be back in a week from being re-crafted. The question is do i get another pair of Chili shoes and get the Dainite sole or do i go the Walnut route again and get the Dainite sole on those?

I'm thinking it may be smarter to go with the Chili's in Dainite as they're a little bit more versatile than Walnut.

Decisions...Decisions....

4. davidmross

davidmross Senior member

[COLOR=222222]Hi fellas,[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=222222]I picked up my first pair of AE's today, thanks to the anniversary sale. I'm a Canadian at a conference in a city with an AE store and had to take the plunge on some merlot McAllisters.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=222222]The "tip" of the right shoe's wing kind of sticks up and looks maybe a little frayed. Is this anything to concern myself with? Should I glue it down? Or is this typical for a handmade shoe. I'm still in town for a few days if this is something worthy of a return.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Thanks![/COLOR]

--------------------------------

I have no advice on the gluing but you've selected an absolutely beautiful shoe....especially as your first AE!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  5. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

If you wear suits a lot and insist on only wearing balmoral caps, then 5A would be ok. But if that's the case, it might be worth looking into a merlot/oxblood PA to give you some flexibility in colors. However, if you are open to wingtip and perfed captoes, I would highly suggest McAlister or Strand. The McA in Merlot is a much more flexible shoe. And you can always get the brown Strand at a later date, which looks great in that color. Sales come a go and $50 more/less here and there doesn't justifying loading on styles and colors.

1 person likes this.
  6. columnsofsteam

columnsofsteam Active Member

Reason #2 is why I'm probably going to be pulling the trigger, even though I already have a brown Fifth and a chili McAllister.

I've also been bitten by the Natural Chromexcel bug. Debating on whether I like the Clark Street or Oak Street, or if I should hold out for a plain-toe blucher, which is what I really want.

7. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

$100 off First Ave Boot 2nds, bringing them down to $249. I chose to go this route over grabbing Fifth Aves...but I do still kind of want Fifth Aves, although I also have MacNeils on the way. Both my wallet and girlfriend are not pleased.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    5 people like this.
  8. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Exactly my point. For those who work in a "business" dress environment, they don't make much sense. But for those of us who wear tropical suits and light colors in the summer because we would otherwise die of heat exhaustion, they make wonderfully nice additions to our wardrobes.

2 people like this.
  9. barto78

barto78 Well-Known Member

Those are really sharp. Looks like you made the right call.

10. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

I agree...these are gorgeous

11. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

But your feet are probably ecstatic :)

12. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Those boots look awesome! I don't yet own a full length boot from AE, just a chukka.... between those and the Daltons.

13. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

[​IMG]

Wearing chili Byrons today. This is the shoe that got me started with AE. Bought them on ebay as new old stock. There is a slight color variation between the shoes, which has not evened out after wearing them for a while. After purchasing and trying on many more since this purchase, I have realized that I really like the 234 last. Unfortunately, AE had different ideas.

14. JLC2

JLC2 Senior member

15. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

I went walnut on my first Avenue boots. Yet to wear them. Will post pictures of today's combo a little later on.

16. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Are those Neumoks? Those look pretty darn good!

17. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

I was never a boot guy so I started with the Dundee to test the waters. I think its safe to say that my Daltons and First Aves are my favorite AE footwear purchases to date.

18. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I brush my shoes for 30 seconds or so and bag 'em with trees at the end of the day. I try to let them air out for 15 min. or so before I tree/brush/bag. I think keeping the dust off the leather is a good thing, and it makes the brushing just before I put them on a very short one.

The boxes are in the attic,

19. JLC2

JLC2 Senior member

They are and I agree!

20. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Shabby carpeting,
    Office lights fail to dampen:
    Merlot Hopkinson.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
Thread Status: