1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Distinguished Member

Yes, and if I wasn't clear, I was only speaking of the walnut Strand. If I were wearing some sort of tweedy combo and wanted to wear something that light, I've got a Ravello blucher or my walnut grain Macneil LWB's. So this time of year, the walnut Strands collect a lot of dust.

@Captm2016 I don't know how to answer your question about the Cambridge. I'm a "wingnut," loving both shortwing oxfords and LWB's (and owning too many) and getting a wingtip in burg / #8 shell was sort of a grail thing for me. Plenty of purists would tsk tsk the idea of any shell shoe for a business suit oxford but I couldn't help myself. I don't wear them on true CBD days but the Cambridges and the brown calf Jeffersons are 1 and 1A otherwise. I especially enjoy them both with a navy flannel suit I have.

Right now if I were you, a dark brown oxford would be my top priority. I'd lean toward a punchcap (Fifth Ave) if for no other reason than it giving you a more conservative alternative to your black PA than your bourbon PA provides. If you think it likely that "one of these days" you'd opt for the burg Cambridge, I wouldn't get the merlot McAlister now. Put the money elsewhere, like a boot or a suede chukka or (gasp) save your money. [​IMG]

Of course, two iconic burg shell shoes - at least in the American trad tradition - are a shell LWB, a/k/a a @#$%^& gunboat, and a burg shell loafer. Both of those are very versatile shoes. So if you want to address suit needs now, but still want to save toward something in #8 shell that will cover a lot of ground, maybe write down either (or both) of those on your longer term wishlist and get a merlot McAlister now along with a brown oxford. Then you'd have oxfords in black, two shades of brown, and merlot.

If you haven't come across the semi-famous Six Shoe Thread, http://www.styleforum.net/t/338954/streamlined-shoe-wardrobe it is a good read. Maybe one of the best takeaways is how mapping out a plan when your dress shoe collection is relatively small can not only avoid some duplication later, but also lets you spend more per shoe on a smaller rotation. .

2. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

Considering you will "wear them more often with darker denim", I would suggest the McTavish (if you can find a pair) over the McAllister. Too much office Walnut?; Strand in Chili, Oxblood or Brown. Another option, Daltons; if you are willing to consider boots.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016

3. Captm2016

Captm2016 Member

Thanks again, I am definitely set on the brown FA as the next one. After that, not so sure. TBH, I've never loved the looked of a LWB, so if I was gonna get a shell burg, it probably would be a Cambridge, so I may wait on that. If I decide not to though, what about the Jefferson 2.0 vs standard McAllister? What's the difference?

Also, the more I look at the 5S boot, the more I like it. Would brown or black be better if I wanted to go that way for the second pair after the brown FA and wear it with a suit? I don't have to be in CBD more than twice a week so although I always wear suits I have a little leeway to try things that might be seen as less conservative sometimes.

Also, I know it's been mentioned before that the walnut strand doesn't fit well into this selection at this point, but is there any strand that could work? Isn't the strand technically more conservative than McAllister?

4. Neo1

Neo1 Distinguished Member

If anyone was remotely considering a cognac or tan mctavish, any of the flat irons, or the original Leeds and shoebank still has your size, you have a phone call to make today.

Edit - better add the freiburg & Sauk Drive to that too...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016

5. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

What are you talking about?
    Edit - Whoa!

6. Neo1

Neo1 Distinguished Member

You're welcome :)

One more thing - figured I'd post this in case anyone's interested. I finally got to try the Le Marche - when it came out, it sort of generated a lot of negative comments, etc. I was sort of expecting something that resembled the grey cloud Park Ave but AE's masterful photography strikes back. Much to my surprise, this was basically a Lexington but with a hybrid tap/lug sole and a more elastic type of leather. I tried it in black - they did not at all look like the pictures. With a tiny drop of black polish they could have passed for a black calf Lexington. So anyone in the market for a basic black colored blucher, you'll be fine with this - about as plain-Jane as you can get.

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

Good luck, man. I've been on the hunt for a 10.5 3E for years.

8. jaba

jaba Member

Thanks for the heads up!

9. middlepP

middlepP Distinguished Member

I'd add bourbon Daltons to that list. I just bought the dark brown Kirkwoods last week for $77. At $57, that's larceny!

10. naspratt

naspratt Distinguished Member

And when the sale ended, they boosted the seconds price on shell. Sneaky. Guess that means no more sub-$400 shell in the foreseeable future.

11. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

Sneaky indeed.

And did the Dalton price go up? I can't recall what they've been at for "full price" seconds recently. Currently at $349.

12. dasher

dasher Member

New guy, dumb question... Where are you guys seeing these prices? I'm looking for my first pair of AEs and the only place I know to look for deals is the shoe bank.

13. naspratt

naspratt Distinguished Member

We are looking at the Shoebank. But AE also has great prices on clearance models at the main site now, although in severely restricted sizes.

Also, March Madness shoes are back. Wonder why they chose grain for the standard blue. And whether I could rock an all-green wingtip...

14. robster35

robster35 Senior Member

whats everyones preference btwn bourbon and walnut? i can get a pair of bourbon strands for 177 in my size vs 299 for walnut. ive always wanted walnut but seems alot of guys say the walnut ends up getting worn the least

15. MattRiv

MattRiv Distinguished Member

During the sale the Friebergs were $127... they are $107 now... wow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.