Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

See, I think the shell Dalton would kill four birds with one stone for his collection: a shell, a wingtip blucher, a burgundy, and a boot. Where else are you going to fill that many holes for a mere $725?

2. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I wish I could improve on this advice. I cannot. One of those four in #8 is what you should start with. Each is pretty versatile.

I will add this suggestion, though, that I received back in the day and will pass on at no charge [​IMG]:

To dip you toe in the shell water, you might first consider a "gently pre-owed" vintage Florsheim Imperial LWB in #8 shell. They are relatively plentiful on ebay in multiple sizes, are built like tanks, and can be had relatively cheaply. If you don't like the look or fit, you can flip them without much of a loss. Mine date (according to Nick at B. Nelson) to the 70's. Uppers were almost pristine and they still had the original soles (which they replaced). Have loved them for three years now. I might have to bust those out tomorrow. Anyway, just one option to consider.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016

3. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Great minds... and shoes. [​IMG] Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

4. Canadianguy

Canadianguy Senior member

peppercorn, nice selection of pics. are you a cellist?

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Thanks!

Saxophonist actually. But I share a teaching studio with a cellist at one of the school's I teach at.

Do you play?

6. Canadianguy

Canadianguy Senior member

Yes I'm a cellist/teacher. Nice to see a fellow musician with good taste in footwear. :)

7. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

How do people generally go in sizing the 201 last (specifically the First Avenue boot) v the 5-65 last? I'm a 10.5C or B in the 5-65. Cheers.

Also, has the date of the next seconds sale been confirmed? I read early April in an earlier post.

8. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

I don't have the First Ave but have a couple of shoes on the 201; a width down from my 65 size works quite well for me. 201 is TTS for me, though has slightly more volume than I need. I have to go up a width in the 65.
    It's possible you could go down a half size instead of a width as well.

9. peppercorn78

Happy Wednesday gents!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016

10. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

My girlfriend is also a Cellist/teacher. The next time another wave of AE boxes happen to appear on our doorstep, I will have ammo ready when she tells me I am crazy.

"These other musicians do it too!" [​IMG]

11. peppercorn78

Ha! One of my chief enablers is a fellow saxophonist. He's also a longer-standing member of SF than I, so I won't out him.

But it is true that the frugal struggling artist of my yesteryears had to be broken into the fine footwear addiction gently, and in tiered phases. At first I would only go for 2nd quality clearance models and struck gold at Century 21. Now it's Vass MTOs and Alden preorders. FML. Sometimes I still get a little disgusted with myself when I remember how hard I had to struggle for so long, as a full priced pair of shells would have covered a full month's rent and expenses back then.

But times change. I imagine I'll be done with footwear soon, once it's time to start saving for something more important (like a piano) ;)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016

12. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

AE did such a great job with many of those Walnut Cordovan models. A pity they do not do them anymore...

13. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

[​IMG]

Oxblood Daltons today. I need to get as much out of these as I can before Summer gets here.

14. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Another AE long discontinued - the Hampstead. It is supposed to be 80 here today (with possible snow Sunday - go figure) so I decided to wear something woven.
    [​IMG]

15. barto78

barto78 Well-Known Member

That is great news. Hopefully i will have the same luck. Just curious...did they give you a shipping notification or did the shoes magically appear 5 weeks earlier than quoted.?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.