1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@danwatts2005 I find that really unfortunate - a result of AEs super limited inventory and the back and forth shipping preventing you from finding a good fit. The stores are geared towards getting everyone into the 65, which will likely "fit" everyone to some degree. I would have agreed with you when I first got my PAs, but as an example, last Fall one day I had my Aberdeens on by 7AM, did a couple hours of errands, considerable walking, made a 2.5 hr drive, did a LOT more walking, drove home (another 2.5 hours), and still had the shoes on at 2AM, and could have kept going. Keep trying everything you can get your hands on.

I absolutely can never get athletic shoes to work - I measure at a 7.5 narrow. With all the cushion I need the length of the 7.5 (with AE I go down to 7). But with the D width of the sneakers, it's always way too much volume, like I'm sloshing around, and I get leg muscle fatigue pretty quickly.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  2. gm928

gm928 Senior member

Walnut Stands from yesterday.

[​IMG]

3. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

For real. I wore my Gobis for the majority of a 90 mile walking trip through Spain and had absolutely no foot pain or issues.

4. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Freiburgs on casual Friday. [​IMG]
    Really liking both the fit and the look of these. Great casual boot.

5. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

I have two pairs of black shoes (dundee 2.0 and a pair of Wolverines). I've worn both pairs this week. Do I need to seek counseling? Especially after yesterday's color splash. Someone shower me in Walnut please...

6. Southwick

Southwick Well-Known Member

I wore my Dukes for a full day at Universal and for three solid days at Disney. They were fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

I am sized at a 10.5D, as measured by the LaSalle St. store, and that is what all of my AE's are, five of which are 65s. I've been a 10.5D for most of my adult life, so I just thought the AE measurement was confirming what I already knew.

My commute includes walking across the Loop, from Millennium Station to Wacker and Monroe, which is one mile each way, so I'm putting in some miles. I refuse to do the bit of wearing tennis shoes with dress pants, carrying my AEs, and switching when I get here.

It seems like the biggest problem I have is usually that a wrinkle in the sock or a pinch in the pinky toe will develop at some point during the day, and then just get worse, even if I fix it. I think part of my problem might be that I have such a large rotation (at least compared to any I've ever had before), that I haven't really gotten any of them truly broken in yet. Only wearing once a week at most is going to make a break in period longer. I'd be done with a pair of the cheap shoes I used to wear by this time, and my AEs are just getting started.

8. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@danwatts2005 You might not like the styles, but if the stores have them in stock, try out the Normandy & Walton - I could wear either of those forever.

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    My retraining to wear brown with navy is now complete and now looks "normal." Chili Benton's, my very first pair of AE shoes, for a casual Friday.

[​IMG]

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I'm with you. Shoes were meant to be walked in. My commute to work involves about 3 miles of walking, and I'm at that particular job 3 days a week. Because my rotation is at 21 pairs (total), again, some shoes I have purchased over a year ago are still not completely broken in. The shell Carminas I'm wearing today I got last August and they still haven't been beaten into submission.

11. woolalaoc

woolalaoc New Member

wearing my bourbon sanfords today...

[​IMG]

12. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Wearing my walnut Strands today. Although they are several years old, they don't look as walnutty as some walnut shoes do, probably because I use Allen-Edmonds Light Brown Shoe Polish (the stuff in the glass jar) on them.......

[​IMG]

......fir those who might be wondering, yes, I retied them right after I took this pictureo

13. ultravisitor

ultravisitor Senior member

I could definitely do it with some of my AEs, but I wouldn't want to with my natural shell Dundees. They'd have so many welts by the end of the day because of the water rides.

14. MUFCreddevil

MUFCreddevil Well-Known Member

Classic... [​IMG]

Need to polish this weekend though!

[​IMG]

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Those look fantastic!!
    Me neither. I think my fugly voyagers would get the call. Supremely comfortable, and ugly enough that I don't care if they get beat up or get ice cream, soda, or whatever else my kids would subject them to.
    They look expertly polished to me!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.