1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior Member

Hopkinsons today just because :)

[​IMG]

2. DeathandTaxes

DeathandTaxes Well-Known Member

Very nice!

Today I am wearing the Hopkinson's older brother - the Harrison:
    [​IMG]

3. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior Member

Oxblood McGregor today. Two things, first, love how helpful this forum is. Two, struck out at the closest Nordstrom and Dillard's last night. Today heading to a different Nordstrom and close by, the AE store for tongue pads. If THAT fails, going to a cobbler. I didn't even think about that as an option. Thanks again for everyone's help in my quest for a comfortable minimal heel slip suede loafer.
    [​IMG]

4. cc808314

cc808314 Senior Member

Are Hamlet rubber soles one piece of rubber similar to the Othello rubber soles? Are they as soft as the latter?

Thanks

5. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

Just buy them on Amazon. They are like 8 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Pairs-Large-Tongue-Shoes-Adhesive/dp/B0030KSCCA

6. Neo1

Neo1 Distinguished Member

@cc808314 I don't know much about the construction details, but I own 2 pairs of Nashuas and one Wilbert and the feel of the sole is very similar.

7. Churchill W

Churchill W Distinguished Member

I like the color on the leather on these.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016

8. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior Member

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories,... 
    Did you buy these from a particular seller on eBay? If so which one? Thx Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Happy St. Patrick's day!

[​IMG]

10. woolalaoc

woolalaoc New Member

i think every pair was purchased from different ebay vendors, but here are a few good ones that i'd recommend:

stevesnamebrand - they're on the upper end in terms of cost, but they've got a ton of AEs and the quality is pretty consistent.
    http://stores.ebay.com/stevesnamebrandshoes/

twenty/ten
    http://stores.ebay.com/twentyten/

divafashions2009
    http://stores.ebay.com/divafashions2009/

my rule has been to spend no more than $100 for a pair of AEs and i've only violated it once - on the larchmonts (cause they were close to new, never worn from what i could tell). however, the sweet spot has been closer to $60, i even got the fairhavens for <$15.

i'll typically start my hunt with the following search (that i got from styleforum, i believe) and start bookmarking items i like:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Dress-Forma...i,+cheaney,+cleverly,+gaziano,+loake)&_sop=15

happy hunting!

11. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior Member

12. naspratt

naspratt Distinguished Member

Chili University and holiday socks.
    [​IMG]
    Edit: and a new (to me) watch!
    [​IMG]

13. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior Member

Went stomping around The Magic Kingdom today in natty Dundees from @gatszu . Time for a root beer float!

[​IMG]

14. leadbelly2550

leadbelly2550 Member

i have five pair of Allen Edmonds shoes, dating back to 1993. I think most of the models are discontinued; mine have all been resoled at least once, and 2 have been reconditioned: Park Avenue, chili; Burton, black; Sanford, chestnut; Brewster, dark brown; and Yale, brown chromexcel with a rubber sole. Keep them clean, polished, and resoled regularly, and they will last a long time. I haven't bought a new pair from them in several years; last 2 pair of dress shoes were Alden shell cordovan, color 8. I have trended toward cordovan (leather taken from the muscle layer beneath a horse's hide, from the rump. Very firm; takes a long time to tan, wears much better/longer than normal leather shoes. shoes are about twice as expensive) because despite the price, i think it's a great material for shoes and will last basically as long as i will. Allen Edmonds sells cordovan shoes too.

But, the point of this post is an Allen Edmonds belt i just purchased. Shell cordovan belts are hard to find because there aren't many places that tan cordovan (; Allen Edmonds sells them, they are available, and at $195 retail they are less expensive than some alternatives. and a lot less than a good alligator or crocodile belt. The belt i just purchased is color 8 to go with the shoes. Fairly robust nickel buckle, very nice. The cordovan is somewhat lighter in color than the Alden shoes. Made from 3 pieces of cordovan, sewn together. One of the pieces is a little bit rougher than the other two; i'm guessing the grain of that piece was tanned differently and runs in a different direction. The other two sections are very smooth. Notably, the cordovan and leather backing are sewn all the way through, which I think will yield a more long-lasting belt. Very happy with it.

i'll try to get inspired to photograph the shoes and belt and post them.

15. otterhound

otterhound Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.