• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathandTaxes

Reaction score
Hopkinsons today just because
smile.gif

Very nice!

Today I am wearing the Hopkinson's older brother - the Harrison:

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxblood McGregor today. Two things, first, love how helpful this forum is. Two, struck out at the closest Nordstrom and Dillard's last night. Today heading to a different Nordstrom and close by, the AE store for tongue pads. If THAT fails, going to a cobbler. I didn't even think about that as an option. Thanks again for everyone's help in my quest for a comfortable minimal heel slip suede loafer.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are Hamlet rubber soles one piece of rubber similar to the Othello rubber soles? Are they as soft as the latter?

Thanks

alexnb

Reaction score
Oxblood McGregor today. Two things, first, love how helpful this forum is. Two, struck out at the closest Nordstrom and Dillard's last night. Today heading to a different Nordstrom and close by, the AE store for tongue pads. If THAT fails, going to a cobbler. I didn't even think about that as an option. Thanks again for everyone's help in my quest for a comfortable minimal heel slip suede loafer.
Just buy them on Amazon. They are like 8 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Pairs-Large-Tongue-Shoes-Adhesive/dp/B0030KSCCA

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@cc808314 I don't know much about the construction details, but I own 2 pairs of Nashuas and one Wilbert and the feel of the sole is very similar.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wearing Horween Cognac Dublin Leather Ridgeways today, which fortunately have enough bowing that the nice orange lining shows in the picture......
......always feel safer crossing the street wearing these shoes with the high visibility orange accents.
I like the color on the leather on these.

Last edited:

catlettsl

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories,... 
first time posting - i've spent the last few months slowly collecting some great used/close to new pairs of AEs - here's my haul...best part is i spent on average $80 per shoe.

ignore the pair of j&m's on the bottom right

(top l-r: ae fairhavens - black, ae park avenue - black, ae portland boot - brown)
(bottom l-r: ae larchmonts - walnut, ae strands - walnut, ae sanford - bourbon)

Did you buy these from a particular seller on eBay? If so which one? Thx Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy St. Patrick's day!

Last edited:

woolalaoc

Reaction score
i think every pair was purchased from different ebay vendors, but here are a few good ones that i'd recommend:

stevesnamebrand - they're on the upper end in terms of cost, but they've got a ton of AEs and the quality is pretty consistent.
http://stores.ebay.com/stevesnamebrandshoes/

twenty/ten
http://stores.ebay.com/twentyten/

divafashions2009
http://stores.ebay.com/divafashions2009/

my rule has been to spend no more than $100 for a pair of AEs and i've only violated it once - on the larchmonts (cause they were close to new, never worn from what i could tell). however, the sweet spot has been closer to $60, i even got the fairhavens for <$15.

i'll typically start my hunt with the following search (that i got from styleforum, i believe) and start bookmarking items i like:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Dress-Forma...i,+cheaney,+cleverly,+gaziano,+loake)&_sop=15

happy hunting!

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chili University and holiday socks.

Edit: and a new (to me) watch!

Last edited:

FaRKle

Reaction score
Went stomping around The Magic Kingdom today in natty Dundees from @gatszu . Time for a root beer float!

leadbelly2550

Reaction score
i have five pair of Allen Edmonds shoes, dating back to 1993. I think most of the models are discontinued; mine have all been resoled at least once, and 2 have been reconditioned: Park Avenue, chili; Burton, black; Sanford, chestnut; Brewster, dark brown; and Yale, brown chromexcel with a rubber sole. Keep them clean, polished, and resoled regularly, and they will last a long time. I haven't bought a new pair from them in several years; last 2 pair of dress shoes were Alden shell cordovan, color 8. I have trended toward cordovan (leather taken from the muscle layer beneath a horse's hide, from the rump. Very firm; takes a long time to tan, wears much better/longer than normal leather shoes. shoes are about twice as expensive) because despite the price, i think it's a great material for shoes and will last basically as long as i will. Allen Edmonds sells cordovan shoes too.

But, the point of this post is an Allen Edmonds belt i just purchased. Shell cordovan belts are hard to find because there aren't many places that tan cordovan (; Allen Edmonds sells them, they are available, and at $195 retail they are less expensive than some alternatives. and a lot less than a good alligator or crocodile belt. The belt i just purchased is color 8 to go with the shoes. Fairly robust nickel buckle, very nice. The cordovan is somewhat lighter in color than the Alden shoes. Made from 3 pieces of cordovan, sewn together. One of the pieces is a little bit rougher than the other two; i'm guessing the grain of that piece was tanned differently and runs in a different direction. The other two sections are very smooth. Notably, the cordovan and leather backing are sewn all the way through, which I think will yield a more long-lasting belt. Very happy with it.

i'll try to get inspired to photograph the shoes and belt and post them.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing the requisite green today.

But these are the shoes that I wanted to wear today:

I felt that the original walnut color was too limiting in how they could be used, and I had a second walnut pair of shoes on order, so I darkened them. I can understand that not everyone would agree with my choice to darken these. (And some might be in horror that I changed the original color!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads