Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

Hopkinsons today just because :)

[​IMG]

2. DeathandTaxes

DeathandTaxes Well-Known Member

Very nice!

Today I am wearing the Hopkinson's older brother - the Harrison:
    [​IMG]

3. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Oxblood McGregor today. Two things, first, love how helpful this forum is. Two, struck out at the closest Nordstrom and Dillard's last night. Today heading to a different Nordstrom and close by, the AE store for tongue pads. If THAT fails, going to a cobbler. I didn't even think about that as an option. Thanks again for everyone's help in my quest for a comfortable minimal heel slip suede loafer.
    [​IMG]

4. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Are Hamlet rubber soles one piece of rubber similar to the Othello rubber soles? Are they as soft as the latter?

Thanks

5. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

Just buy them on Amazon. They are like 8 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Pairs-Large-Tongue-Shoes-Adhesive/dp/B0030KSCCA

6. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@cc808314 I don't know much about the construction details, but I own 2 pairs of Nashuas and one Wilbert and the feel of the sole is very similar.

7. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I like the color on the leather on these.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016

8. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories,... 
    Did you buy these from a particular seller on eBay? If so which one? Thx Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Happy St. Patrick's day!

[​IMG]

10. woolalaoc

woolalaoc New Member

i think every pair was purchased from different ebay vendors, but here are a few good ones that i'd recommend:

stevesnamebrand - they're on the upper end in terms of cost, but they've got a ton of AEs and the quality is pretty consistent.
    http://stores.ebay.com/stevesnamebrandshoes/

twenty/ten
    http://stores.ebay.com/twentyten/

divafashions2009
    http://stores.ebay.com/divafashions2009/

my rule has been to spend no more than $100 for a pair of AEs and i've only violated it once - on the larchmonts (cause they were close to new, never worn from what i could tell). however, the sweet spot has been closer to $60, i even got the fairhavens for <$15.

i'll typically start my hunt with the following search (that i got from styleforum, i believe) and start bookmarking items i like:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Dress-Forma...i,+cheaney,+cleverly,+gaziano,+loake)&_sop=15

happy hunting!

11. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

12. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Chili University and holiday socks.
    [​IMG]
    Edit: and a new (to me) watch!
    [​IMG]

13. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

Went stomping around The Magic Kingdom today in natty Dundees from @gatszu . Time for a root beer float!

[​IMG]

14. leadbelly2550

leadbelly2550 Member

i have five pair of Allen Edmonds shoes, dating back to 1993. I think most of the models are discontinued; mine have all been resoled at least once, and 2 have been reconditioned: Park Avenue, chili; Burton, black; Sanford, chestnut; Brewster, dark brown; and Yale, brown chromexcel with a rubber sole. Keep them clean, polished, and resoled regularly, and they will last a long time. I haven't bought a new pair from them in several years; last 2 pair of dress shoes were Alden shell cordovan, color 8. I have trended toward cordovan (leather taken from the muscle layer beneath a horse's hide, from the rump. Very firm; takes a long time to tan, wears much better/longer than normal leather shoes. shoes are about twice as expensive) because despite the price, i think it's a great material for shoes and will last basically as long as i will. Allen Edmonds sells cordovan shoes too.

But, the point of this post is an Allen Edmonds belt i just purchased. Shell cordovan belts are hard to find because there aren't many places that tan cordovan (; Allen Edmonds sells them, they are available, and at $195 retail they are less expensive than some alternatives. and a lot less than a good alligator or crocodile belt. The belt i just purchased is color 8 to go with the shoes. Fairly robust nickel buckle, very nice. The cordovan is somewhat lighter in color than the Alden shoes. Made from 3 pieces of cordovan, sewn together. One of the pieces is a little bit rougher than the other two; i'm guessing the grain of that piece was tanned differently and runs in a different direction. The other two sections are very smooth. Notably, the cordovan and leather backing are sewn all the way through, which I think will yield a more long-lasting belt. Very happy with it.

i'll try to get inspired to photograph the shoes and belt and post them.

15. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.