Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Bourbon Strands on some really bad office carpet
    [​IMG]

2. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

Oxblood strands today after a week off.

[​IMG]

3. NewStyleGuy07

NewStyleGuy07 Member

Hey!

I've been lurking in this thread and the old one for a while, but I haven't been able to find the answer to a question I have.

What are folks thoughts on the Road Warrior series? I'm looking for a good comfortable shoe to replace my Rockports as my evening and weekend beater shoes.

4. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

[​IMG]

I almost returned these, my only real issue being tightness across the top of my foot due to my high-ish instep. I've now decided to keep them based on the above advice and after wearing them all weekend and I can feel them beginning to break in.

This brings me to 5 pairs in 3 months and a complete work rotation...and I would have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for you filthy barn weasels!

5. RRLRanch

RRLRanch Active Member

I already have a pair of RL Marlow Wingtips and black Allen Edmonds Park Avenues. I rarely wear dress shoes but I'd like to have a good assortment because I want these to be heirloom pieces. And I have a son on the way and I want to look good on those special occasions.

I have a $650 coupon for Allen Edmonds and I wanted to ask for help here. Which shoe and which color should I buy?

Even though the Ralph Lauren Marlow Wingtips are super expensive, I have a feeling they are not meant to be wear on formal occasions.

Thanks for your help.

6. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Happy Monday, fellas!
    Since AE says sockless is all the rage these days... (Actually it's spring break, campus is dead, and sockless natty cxl helps me think I'm somewhere else on vacation.)
    Super bright sun this morning, so sorry about the crappy cell pic:
    [​IMG]

7. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

They are Leeds, but with different out soles. They also have leather insoles with a cover piece that goes over the rear half of the insole (Lexington has this too).

Here's a pic of my 2.0 (back when that cover piece pulled up a bit and I sent them to AE for repair).
    [​IMG]

8. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I tried some on at my local menswear store and they are very comfortable. I didn't buy any because all the styles available are duplicates of what I already have. But I would say these would be a great alternative to Rockports, etc. And, in my opinion, they look nicer than Rockports.

Chris

9. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Sockless my ass. Still chilly here man!!

10. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

I have purchased the same 8.5D size for every pair of shoes I have. That includes Park Avenue, Strand, Mora 2.0, and a number of others.

Some are more comfortable than others, but the Mora 2.0 is right near the top.

I believe if it were to fit "properly" I might size down, but then I think the toes would be tight. I bought my size and added tongue pads and I think that is what makes it a winning combination.

11. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

Not sure if you're still looking for it, but I was looking for some other file in my misc folder and stumbled upon a copy of the AE fit guide I saved.

12. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

When trying to fit the 201 back when it was brand new, the manager at my local store kept telling me to wait for models from this RW series. I was super pumped, then rather disappointed in them. Even still, I own 3 of these (LGA, MKE, and ATL - or what ever model is the cap toe).

Compared to the regular line, or even the AE line, I feel they are all WAY over priced for what you get. Soles feel like they will wear out super fast, leather is definitely a lower quality. I bought the short wings mainly for comfort and to fill a hole in my rotation. These still get worn, using the included insert. For the others, I had a specific need for orthotics, so I scooped them as new 3rds of the bay. I rarely require the orthotics anymore (ya for being healthy again!!) and thus the ATL gets very limited wear. I will likely never wear the MKE again. Seriously this one just looks cheap.

I found the fit varied by style, so I highly suggest you try them on in store. I think it comes down to how you plan to wear them and what alternatives you have access to. They are better than, say, rockport, cole haan, JM, etc - but it depedns on the price you are buying them at.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Paniolo

Paniolo Member

Just ordered a pair of bourbon Mora 2.0 from the Shoe Bank; my 2nd pair of AE in two months! I ordered the same size as my Franciscans, so hopefully they fit comfortably as well. I will post photos and comment on the sizing when I receive them.

14. narcispy

narcispy Member

I bought my first pair of AE's last week and finally got a chance to wear them today. I was unsure of my size even after using the online sizing guide I always seem to fall into either 10.5 or 11's for shoes. So I went ahead and bought a pair of AE Kenilworth burbons online in 11D and they seem to fit ok, maybe too much width space across the bottom half of the foot. I'm not 100% how they are supposed to fit. When walking they sometimes hit the top of my big toe but besides that they are comfortable. I'm looking for another pair in captoe but I'm not sure I like leather soles too much for how loud they are. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

15. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

Definitely the brown shell Strand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.