1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

I also agree with others that walnut is not versatile. If AEs oxblood were a true burgundy, I'd say go with that, but it's a lot more flashy. I'd go dark brown for maximum versatility.

Where did the whole "barn weasel" meme come from? Who started it? Just wondering. Because I know where the coffee poses came from. :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016

2. 22busy

22busy Senior Member

This changes things for me. I've been noticing things moving in that direction. I'm an E width and it's hard to even get fitted for a last, much less a model.

I was in a retail store last night. I noticed that many of their floor models had tiger striping, bad inconsistent finishing, etc.... The SA acted like he didn't want to talk to me ( I was the only one in the store). It was kinda sad. I'm not sure I want to play the guessing game on new models and lasts.

I have my basic rotation now. I'm probably going to pick up a couple of items from the shoebank then take a break for a while. Maybe it's time to sit back and see where this goes and start saving for shell.

3. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior Member

I can see where you're coming from here. I just received my first Oxblood yesterday, and I absolutely love them. But I put them next to a Dark Chili, and the difference was minimal. It was so minimal that I'm not going to sweat getting an Oxblood belt for a while.

4. danwatts2005

This changes things for me. I've been noticing things moving in that direction. I'm an E width and it's hard to even get fitted for a last, much less a model.

I was in a retail store last night. I noticed that many of their floor models had tiger striping, bad inconsistent finishing, etc.... The SA acted like he didn't want to talk to me ( I was the only one in the store). It was kinda sad. I'm not sure I want to play the guessing game on new models and lasts.

I have my basic rotation now. I'm probably going to pick up a couple of items from the shoebank then take a break for a while. Maybe it's time to sit back and see where this goes and start saving for shell.[/quote

Considering their Spring offerings, I'm inclined to do the same. Either that, or learn to speak Alden. It's a foreign language to me at the moment.

5. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior Member

6. naspratt

naspratt Distinguished Member

7. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

For fun, I googled "filthy barn weasel" images, expecting to find a good weasel image to post here. Imagine my surprise when the first picture in the list was my own picture of my AE February purchases.
    [​IMG]
    There were several other pictures of Allen Edmonds shoes in the list as well.

8. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior Member

Well sumbitch.... I really like the look of those.

9. danwatts2005

Lol! You're right! But this also came up.

[​IMG]

10. gatszu

gatszu Senior Member

11. eagleman

eagleman Senior Member

12. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior Member

It was me. I'm on my phone, but when I have a chance to get on the computer, I'll dig up the original post. Glad I was able to contribute something to this group that has enabled my newly found shoe addiction.

Filthy barn weasels, all of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior Member

Glad someone else noticed this...save for the black welt vs the medium brown welt, Dark Chili and Oxblood are very similar in shade. I would actually say that getting both might be a bit redudant.

14. danwatts2005

I'd like to see how each matches up with a Merlot, and also a Burgundy shell. It might be a bit redundant, but the Oxblood I got were Daltons, compared to Chili McAllisters.

15. danwatts2005

And I'll add that my particular shade of Cognac McTavish are also very close in color.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.