• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerCC

Reaction score
Hey fellas, I've got a question regarding returns...

In January I bought a brown Park Ave from a retail location in 8.5E. I have two other AEs - Strand and McAllister - in the same size that I bought three years ago in 2013 that are nice and broken in. These new Park Aves are definitely smaller (I measured the sole and they are about a quarter of an inch skinnier). I've worn them about 5 times thinking they would break in, but now having measured it I don't think the 5 last really fits my foot. Back when I was new to AEs I probably just suffered through it until they broke in.

Bottom I'd like to exchange them for a different shoe on a different last, but I'm not sure if that would fly with the store. Does anyone have any experience with this, suggestions or ideas? I plan on calling them today but wanted to poke around here first.

danwatts2005

Reaction score
Is the Shoe Bank at Port Washington the same as the Customer Assistance Center, or are they two different places with different inventories? I'm thinking of taking a drive...

lemmy127

Reaction score

Is the Shoe Bank at Port Washington the same as the Customer Assistance Center, or are they two different places with different inventories? I'm thinking of taking a drive...

Two different places. Customer Assistance Center is just their customer service line to take orders. If a pair of seconds is listed as being there, it's in a warehouse in a different part of Port Washington that you can't shop around in. If you called a few days ahead of time, I would think they could move any pairs you want to check out from the warehouse to the Shoe Bank.

Last edited:

Dd1101

Reaction score
I plan on purchasing a pair of AE black cap toe oxfords and have narrowed my choice down to the Hopkinson (calf) or the Park Ave in shell cordovan. Any thoughts?

Park Shell.

Dd1101

Reaction score
Yet another entry into the keep or send back game:

Leeds, stitching outside of the channel.I can feel it when running my fingers over it. Just a problem in the one spot...any chance this will affect longevity? Other than that it is a very nice, plain, black shoe.

Edit: Another angle.

Keep them, you could end up with a worse pair. I have a couple pairs like that and no issue.

danwatts2005

Reaction score
Two different places. Customer Assistance Center is just their customer service line to take orders. If a pair of seconds is listed as being there, it's in a warehouse in a different part of Port Washington that you can't shop around in. If you called a few days ahead of time, I would think they could move any pairs you want to check out from the warehouse to the Shoe Bank.
Thanks!

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Friday, gents! Chili Shakers today.

tkebh979

Reaction score
Yet another entry into the keep or send back game:

Leeds, stitching outside of the channel.I can feel it when running my fingers over it. Just a problem in the one spot...any chance this will affect longevity? Other than that it is a very nice, plain, black shoe.

Edit: Another angle.

My first pair were like this. They're now in their 5th year of use. I have recrafted them since, but not any sooner than my shoes that were properly stitched in the channel.

Which isn't to say I haven't rejected in store or returned deliveries of shoes that came like that. In my mind, the company is sure to have a model for sale without this defect, and I'd rather pay the same amount for one without than one with. Maybe a silly principle, but if my cost of exchange (including time spent) is less than the value of the time spent thinking about my off-channel stitched sole, I exchange it. Which is to say the majority of the time I exchange it.

But I'm looney. So take that into consideration.
rotflmao.gif

burnham

Reaction score
Bought my first pair of quality shoes. I went ahead and got a pair of Allen edmonds strand in the colour oxblood. Right now I'm trying to adjust the leather to my feet. Here are some pictures of it.

lemmy127

Reaction score

If these are seconds, I'd be jumping for joy that this is the defect. If these are "firsts", I wouldn't bother returning them.

Paniolo

Reaction score

@Paniolo I didn't find the Dalton narrow at all but it was bad enough for high arches that I went from a D to an E. They started off really good but once broken in I now feel like I have too much volume in the heel and ankle area. Uncomfortable enough that they don't get much wear. So I would say makes a significant difference, yes.

Thanks for the advice. I'll wait for the Shoe Bank to have a bourbon or walnut with dainite in 11E in stock.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Natty Dundees made it a rare "all shell" week for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads