Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016

2. Captm2016

Captm2016 Member

Thanks a bunch, Red and Count. It sounds like the McAllister/Cambridge is a no brainer for the first one to get. What's the difference between the merlot and burgundy in terms of color? Also, and I know this is tough to answer, but is the Cambridge worth the extra money? If it was either the Mcallister plus something else or the Cambridge by itself, any advice there? It also sounds like brown FAs would be a good addition. So, right now, assuming I get the McAllister, I think I'll go with Mcallister in merlot (unless the Cambridge is really worth it), then brown FA, then black FS's. Think I'm gonna hold off on the strand for now, although I would want something in walnut at some point. Thanks again guys.

3. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

I was thinking khakis, jeans, or pants with a jacket, but not a suit.
    But now I'm thinking that I'm going to wear them with a suit every now and then "just because".

4. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior Member

Not to discount the advice from the ptevious posters, or to muddy the waters, but don't forget they make Strands in colors other than Walnut. I have one pair of Walnut shoes, and Bourbon Strands, and I think their points about versatility are due to the Walnut color. I wear my Walnut way less than other colors, but my Strands can go with lots of things.

5. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior Member

That sounds like a good plan to me.

Merlot and Oxblood are just specific shades of burgundy (though AE burgundy is a different specific shade of burgundy between these two). As burgundy involves a muted red with a tad of blue, merlot has more blue than oxblood, but is also darker and more muted than oxblood at the same time. Of the two, merlot is darker, more subtle and conservative.

The burgundy shell is a whole different animal. Perhaps The count can speak to it quickly. My advice would be to search for some pictures on here of them in the wild and read up on cordovan to see if it is something you want to invest in. I have made the decision not to do so for a variety of reasons that are certainly not applicable to everyone.

6. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

+1 to this.
    The walnut Strand is a beautiful shoe. It is not as versatile as the other colors. A brown or chili Strand is very versatile.

7. nbj08

nbj08 Senior Member

I agree: even between my bourbon and dark brown Strands, the dark brown are hard to beat. Especially with the dainite sole!

8. polojock615

polojock615 Senior Member

Many colors of the Strand:

[​IMG]

9. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior Member

Long time lurker, first time poster. Sorry for the non coffee look (don't drink it.) Strands in oxblood. This color has quickly become my favorite, with 4 of my 7 total pairs being oxblood. The Shoebank is such a blessing and a curse...

[​IMG]

10. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior Member

I saw this pic once before, and though I'm not sure I could pull it off, that green suede is SMOKIN!

11. Neo1

Neo1 Distinguished Member

@Captm2016 The count is the man to listen to, but I also wanted to weigh in anyway.

I tried the burgundy Cambridge - beautiful shoes but if it was these versus two others I would have to pass for now. The 5th ave I just don't get - I either like all (strand) or nothing (park ave), I never saw the point of the fifth. I do agree with the color choice - oxblood, merlot, any of those are really good. No way id do the first ave as a dress boot - go brown grain all the way.

I'm surprised people weren't more receptive to the university - if you could get that at a big discount, it would justify picking up a Jefferson which is definitely worth it over any McAllister.

12. robster35

robster35 Senior Member

has anyone ever bought from the site bndkop.com? they have mctavish in stock for $157. assuming it is a legit site.

13. Neo1

Neo1 Distinguished Member

My concord ave 1sts came in the mail today. The right shoe has some weird ripple in the vamp but otherwise they look good. Like other 114 last styles, I'm close to the end but the soft leather plus unlined saves it. I tried the Desoto last year - these sort of correct everything that was wrong with those. Surprised these were so unpopular - will post pics when I get a chance. This makes pair 42 - maybe it's time to get away from this forum..[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016

14. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

I was organizing my shoes today and I realized (like many of you) that I probably have more than I ever need and yet still want more.

8 pairs of AE boots - Daltons in dark chili, walnut chocolate, natural shell; Shaker Heights in tan/tartan, tan/tweed, brown/tweed; Long Branch in brown grain + Bean boots x 2 (regular and shearling) and some Ralph Lauren moc toe boots.

6 pairs of loafers total - AE x RL tan Singletons, BB x AE Kenwood brown/blue, brown Kirkwood, Sperry gold cup penny loafer x 2 [tan and brown], Sperry made in Maine beefroll loafer with boat sole.......+Maritimes x 2 (brown and navy).

Then your typical shoes:
    -Cornwallis (walnut)
    -Madison Park (dark chili)
    -Geary [shortwing like Players] (brown)
    -Williams (brown)
    -Delray (chili)
    -Lasalle (brown)

Some obvious holes that I've filled elsewhere (Black plain toe balmoral by To Boot NY, black and merlot captoe balmorals by J&M). Still, no one NEEDS all these shoes, and I have obvious redundancies. I like them all and there are days I wish I had more tha. Two legs so I could wear multiple pairs. I think k I have a problem.

( sorry for any formatting issues, I'm on my phone)

15. Rome159

Rome159 New Member

Does anyone have any Allen Edmonds in Oxblood? I love the color but the finish on the Park Avenues I just received is a little sticky/tacky. This is the first shoe I have in Oxblood, so I'm not sure if it's normal. None of my other AE's have it though, and I have pairs in Walnut, Bourbon, Dark Chili and Black,

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.