1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

Ebay has really good deals on used belts, usually around $30-$50. Most of them have light use and minor scuffs that will develop fairly soon after wearing them anyway, which usually clean up with a little renovator.

2. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

@Peppercorn78 thank you!

Since we are on the subject of belts, is the bowing of a belt a sign that it is worn too tight, and can it be corrected/minimized somehow? Will hanging them prevent bowing? Thanks

3. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

@Neo1 I need you expert advice. I am thinking of picking up some suede Cavanaughs. I remember you mentioned that the 114 last runs short. How is the length and width compared to 511 and 606?

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble visualizing what you're asking. Could you post some pictures? Are we talking about while wearing or while hanging? I think some distortion a belts shape can be expected depending on the curve of your waist. But I think the easiest way to tell if your belt is too right is if you are on the last notch or two.

5. Gabru

Gabru Well-Known Member

I have the brown alligator dress belt from shoebank, was hell of a deal at $49 for a belt which retails at $395. I didn't find anything wrong with the belt at all. It even came in a bag (like shoe bag but for belt).

6. MattRiv

A belt is going to contour to your body, so the bowing is usually a sign that your stomach is pushing down on the front of the belt and your ass is pushing up the back (yes I have this problem, too). Hanging should help.

1 person likes this.
  7. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

@cc808314 Very different fit than those others. Much more what you would think of as an absolute standard size/shape. No extra width, no elongation. Basically the only last I would consider to be absolutely true to length. I'd go TTS or up a half if necessary. It's particularly bad for high arches but the suede helped out a little.

1 person likes this.
  8. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Well-Known Member

Most of my belts bow with the top edge of the belt - being worn in the direction i usually slide them through (left side of zipper) - smaller than the bottom edge... Small waist. My fix is simple: when i notice the 'bend' or bow occurring, i start putting the belt on sliding through the loops begging on the right side. Flips the belt over, and after a couple wears...back to straight. All my belts hang, btw, so doesn't seem like a fix unless you're weighting them at the bottom or something.

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    With a slight chance of rain it gives a reason to wear the rubber sole Benton. The socks looked black in
    my dimly lit bedroom this morning. But if that's the worst thing to happen this morning it will be a great day.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  10. Maxy

Maxy Well-Known Member

Hi guys, coming back after a while.. whats the general consensus of HAGERSTOWN CAMP MOC BOOT ?

AE have great sale on them and thinking to buy!

11. Middlife

Middlife Well-Known Member

A pair of brown/olive Shaker Heights Boots popped up on the bank in my size for $127. I am super excited to get these and try them on, I've heard so many good things.

1 person likes this.
  12. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I've done the navy sox with dark gray slacks mistake many a time.

I don't have the Hagerstown, but the low top moc variant. Really impressed with the chromepack upper. It is nice, thick, smells great and surprisingly breathable. This moc will look great with age IMO.

1 person likes this.
  13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Nice! They are wonderful shoes indeed.

14. MattRiv

[​IMG]

My new bourbon McAllister seconds that I saved from tiger stripping. Really big fan of the color/style combo on this shoe. Really good shoe for the dainite sole.

2 people like this.
  15. BackInTheJox

Thanks for the input on belt seconds everyone. While I was dragging my feet, however, unfortunately somebody already purchased the belt I was looking at (Humbolt Ave in brown CXL). I bought a natural colored one during the belt clearance, and wanted to go back afterwards and get a brown one, but they were sold out on the main site. There was one left in my size on the shoe bank, but that is gone now too. Bummer.

16. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Well-Known Member

If you were looking for a 34, I'm sorry, but it's holding up my pants.

17. BackInTheJox

I was indeed! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel any better, I seem to have missed out on the Natural. Maybe we could just trade back and forth.

19. BackInTheJox

Deal.

1 person likes this.
  20. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Well-Known Member

I know it sounds funny but I kind of like a little striping. I have a couple stripes on some first quality MacNeils I just bought and I think it gives them a little character.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.