Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TLHouston

TLHouston Active Member

Brown Shell Strand- One of my greatest purchases!

[​IMG]

2. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Received a Private Message from another member today who had noticed that I have some Voyagers (I have three pairs, all bought on eBay and all bought for less than $30.00 a pair) and asked about the durability of the soles.

I thought that this was an interesting question and that maybe others might also be wondering, so I took a picture of the soles of my oldest pair, and here it is.

My personal opinion is that Voyagers are very good $30.00 (or less) shoes for casual walking around, but might not be so good for casual walking around if bought for full retail price.

[​IMG]

3. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

Those are beautiful! The definition on the brouging is amazing.

4. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

That's a nice color, but it isn't really cognac (my favorite mctavish color)...the person in the vid doesn't know what he's talking about...but yes, that one is the tan mctavish, and then I believe there is one more light brown one described as a "natural" colorway. I think this is it here...sadly, I believe they've been discontinued..but I could be mistaken.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016

5. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

McTavish is gone - only a few sizes left if firsts and seconds scattered around the ShoeMarts. When I was in the one closest to me the SA said the McT's were going out almost as fast as they were coming in (which was the day I bought my second pair of cognac McTs...)[​IMG].

The pic above has an awfully light sole and welt to be cognac, though the upper is darker than any tans I've seen. Personally, I find the variation in this particular Rough Leather shoe to be really attractive and cool, but probably *highly* frustrating for anyone buying online. Whoever compared cognac McTs to Forrest Gump's box of chocolates hit the nail right on the head... :)

[confession: I've worn each of my pairs of McTavishes this week...]

6. harlequin782

Yeah...the McTavish is definitely a special shoe. The pics above are suppose to be the natural colored Mctavishes.

7. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Those are the khaki pebbled McTs

I've seen five models - not sure if there have been more.

4035 - Tan McTavish - waxed tan leather upper with a light tan colored storm welt and edge
    4045 - Cognac McTavish - darker reddish-brown upper with a dark welt and dark chili edge. There can be a lot of variation in this color - I've seen some that look like the 4035 upper with a color consistency that runs from a fairly consistent tone to a variegated/mixed tone, and have the dark welt/edge (my second pair are veriegated/antiqued looking - I love 'em).
    4047 - Khaki grain McTavish - a pebbled light tan upper with a dark welt and what appears to be dark chili edge (as seen in the video)
    4005 - Black McTavish - matte black upper with a chili edge and welt

I've got a pair of the 4035's and two of the 4045's, one dark and the other more tan/antiqued. Not really interested in the other two, though I'd probably get the black if I wore black shoes - the lighter chili welt is a cool contrast IMO.

8. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

That makes sense - I'd guess the owner darkened the edging and welt either on purpose or just the products he used.

Seems like AE is either moving away from the Rough Leather collection or they are between cycles...

9. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Could a sole insert possible help? Gellin' like a founding father?

Edit: Oops, missed the part where you mentioned an insole. But regardless, its worth a try.

10. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

There was a gray McTavish, and a dark brown crackle too.

11. gm928

gm928 Senior member

Walnut Jeffersons.

[​IMG]

12. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Yes the youtube video was definitely 4047. Also, the 4005, has a contrasting stitch. The Ridgeway is basically a de facto McTavish. 2 Models: black with red stitching, red welt, chili double oak edge with mini lug, and a similar one in brown (Cognac) with tan stitching and welt, chili edge and mini lug.

Yep. Been looking for one in grey, but seems they are not too common.

13. Paniolo

Paniolo Member

Patiently waiting for the Shoe Bank to have the Daltons walnut with dainite soles in size 11E, which is my size on the Franciscans.

Since the Daltons run TTS and I've read that they run narrow, should I go for an 11EEE, that the Shoe Bank has in stock right now?

14. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

My guess would have to be between cycles, but the way they've been lately, who knows. IMO, there's always a market for such things, if done correctly.

15. harlequin782

So if the Mctavishes in the vid are Khaki (I knew it didn't feel right calling them Tan, but I've always gotten tan & khaki Mctavishes mixed up), then are the "Natural wax infused" McTavish just another way of saying tan?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.