1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Such a sexy loafer. That should be labeled as NSFW

2. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

Super-casual Friday today, since I'm the only member of the 10-man team working at work today and not from home.

Pardon the crappy iPhone photos and the reverse-watchidiot pose (crossing the left leg, instead of the right).

Brown Normandy from off eBay. Only worn a couple of times. No toe indents, like you see sometimes. Slightly more distressed than I was hoping. The left toe cap is a touch crooked. But, for less than 1/3 of retail, I think I'm OK with them. And, these are easily my most comfortable pair of AEs. Seriously, it's not even close.

I know it's on the B34, just like the Darmstadt I have, but the ball of the foot area is really kind of "bulbous" for lack of a better term. Way more so than the Darmstadt.

I'm still utterly baffled that these don't come with a mini-lug sole. Or, at least a v-tread. Something. The heel is solid, but then the sole slides a bit sometimes when walking on carpet. I mean, this thing is supposed to have a casual, rugged look to it. Why not give it some functionality, too? Weird. Really weird.

Of course, now I'm wondering if it makes sense to get the Overlord as well. That's on the 201, so I'm not sure how it will match up, fit-wise. Yeah, it's probably a touch redundant. But, if the Overlord is anywhere near the same fit and feel, it's probably worth it. Gonna get a ton of mileage out of these while the weather is still cool enough to wear boots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

Happy casual Friday!

[​IMG]

4. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

My bracket is shot to hell. But I'm a graduate of Middle Tennessee and tickled to death about my bracket.

2 people like this.
  5. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

I'm all for upsets, that game was awesome to watch. Go Lightning

1 person likes this.
  6. joman8390

joman8390 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Black Park Avenues on a nice day in Manhattan (Beach)

1 person likes this.
  7. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Ok guys, I need to make the plunge into walnut. I'm currently on a lace less trip so would love a walnut loafer, but I realize laces do serve a purpose too. The alpha walnut seems to be the strand and I'd be completely cool with one in walnut and one in oxblood.

Suggestions please...

8. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

How about the new Leiden, in woven walnut?

1 person likes this.
  9. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I recommend a pair of RL by AE Singleton loafers in tan (walnut), able to be had at 30% off at ralphlauren.com.

1 person likes this.
  10. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

I'm not a loafer guy, so I can't really recommend one there.

If you do decide to go with laces and don't want to double-down on Strands (although I wouldn't blame you for going that route), you might want to consider either the Cornwallis or the McAllister.

If you want something that's kind of divisive here on SF, think about picking up a pair of Rogues off the ShoeBank. It's not my cup of tea, but there are a number of folks who say you need to see it to appreciate it. I'm the first to admit I've been wrong about a number of shoes, so it might be an option for you.

Not sure if you're a boot guy, but you could always think about the Dalton. That's another walnut one that gets a lot of love.

1 person likes this.
  11. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

On my radar for sure, love the look and even tried it on. Just waiting for a sale/shoe bank version

Also on my radar, and it is on sale right now, sadly said sale ends today. This is right up my wheel house.

I was eyeing the Rogue on the bank and that could be an impulse trigger purchase shortly. I am a boot guy and have the Dalton's in oxblood. I'm also the guy that will be wearing those in 100+ degree weather in the summer :)

12. barto78

barto78 Well-Known Member

http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInventory.php?STY=0242S&DIM=D&SIZE=100

1 person likes this.
  13. jdoc4

jdoc4 New Member

sorry, wrong place

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  14. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

15. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

I'm a loafer guy too. I like the looks of the Ascher. But I'm not a big fan of walnut. I have the Cody in chili and I love them. They are more versatile than walnut.

1 person likes this.
  16. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

If I could fit in D I would grab these at $244.90

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/4185531?pathAlias=allen-edmonds-madison-park-wingtip-derby-men

[​IMG]
    I stole this picture from an old post from keepsake89

1 person likes this.
  17. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

I have the Ascher in oxblood, love it. To me, oxblood > chili but not by much. I get the versatility logic though and I think that's why I have zero pairs of walnut in my collection. However I don't wear suits so I could rock them with jeans/chinos and if I'm feeling rebellious, dressier pants.

1 person likes this.
  18. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

1 person likes this.
  19. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure those are the Player's shoe. Looks like the 222 last. Also much less burnishing than we see these days.

20. gm928

gm928 Senior member

The shoes in that picture have Independence-line soles. The Madison Park shoes currently on the Nordstrom's website have "normal" AE soles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.