• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite record high temps in NYC, I'm going with black shell boots today:

danwatts2005

Reaction score
Despite record high temps in NYC, I'm going with black shell boots today:

It pays to be prepared. You never know when the wind might shift, and you'd be stuck.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the "you don't see these very often" files - burgundy Lombard from the short-lived Executive Collection.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From the "you don't see these very often" files - burgundy Lombard from the short-lived Executive Collection.

Nice to see a rare example of an AE with closed heels. This came up a few days ago, regarding AE's short-lived run of shoes with a shank and 270 welt. Does it feel different in the heel and arch than other models?

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, if the wife ever questions/mentions the amount spent on my shoes I point to the ring on her finger and how much that cost. I dont think my shoes account for 1/3 of the cost of that ring. (and I have some shell pairs)
crazy.gif

+1 , I do that as well and generally it works...

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone near Knoxville, TN? A store called M.S. McClellan is cutting their AE styles (all firsts) and they are 50% the previous retail price. The best deal was a pair of Tan Daltons in 10.5D that fit me perfectly for ~$200. Sadly I have already agreed with the wife not to buy any more shoes. There were also a few small sizes in black Park Avenue and several loafers, as well as a Bourbon Mora 2.0 in 10D.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all that said, here is the kicker: I'm not sure I dress any better than I ever did. This is where I might lose friends. I am probably not going to buy a three piece suit very soon, and I don't have $2000 to drop on one sport coat. Nothing wrong with either of those, but they just aren't my personality. The only things I have that are "bespoke" are silver baby items engraved with my initials. I like my jeans Levi (uncuffed), and my stuff realistic. I wear nice shoes, and want to get better, but most of my clothes are from JAB. I"m never going to be the guy I saw in a resturant last week, who had on a full ascot, and all the trimmings, but put a bib over it when he ate his dinner.
This is coming from a twenty-four year old, just married. I probably have more money into clothes than anyone I know and yet by SF standards I am woefully lacking. My suits range from cheap JCP to JAB Signature Gold, shirts are Charles Tyrwhitt at best, and ties are a mixed bag but mostly made in China. Throughout the week I typically wear Dockers, Banana Republic, Lands End, or even off brand stuff as long as it looks trim and presentable. So I am pretty moderate in clothing expenses but I feel like shoes are an area that should not be skimped on. Not only is it a better value long term, but you can walk comfortably and look better at the same time. I know I am not alone in my opinion that a stellar pair of shoes can make even a basic wardrobe really pop.

As for my story in brief: my introduction to decent shoes came gradually over my time in college, where there was a discount shoe store I frequented. These shoes were mostly overstocks, seconds, and customer returns, all priced at $40 and under. I became interested in getting a proper fit and handled many shoes, trying many on. 80% of these were cheap fused shoes with unnatural linings, and I began to notice a difference in comfort between them and the better Florsheim, Bostonian, and Cole Haan shoes available. Even the occasional Ecco's were a step above the average. Not only this, but I was able to see how the leather on the cheap shoes crumpled up and looked terrible on some of the returned shoes with presumably very little wear. All the cheaper shoes I had purchased there would look terrible after just a few wears. So in my earnest quest to find the "holy grail" of discount shoes I discovered an odd pair of Magnanni, Allen Edmonds, and To Boot New York. With a very limited budget, finding these brands for $30-$40 was very exciting for me, and I purchased a couple that seemed to fit.

Even through this time, I still considered it folly to spend any more than $50 on a pair of shoes, but that changed when I found a nice pair of tan Cole Haan wingtips at a Saks Off Fifth. I experienced much buyer's remorse at blowing (gasp) $110 on a single pair! After graduating and getting more income as a single individual, I decided to buy some Allen Edmonds from the ShoeBank. I had long been a reader at the Ask Andy forum, mostly for advice on dress clothes. After I found a very vibrant AE community here on StyleForum I began spending more time over this way.

So a couple years later I own six pairs of USA made boots, and eight pairs of quality leather shoes... and I pamper my humble collection religiously!

Last edited:

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does a split-toe matter for rain? I've had several in the past, but I've grown reaistant. Yours might make me change my mind. Very nice.

I don't think there is any advantage to split toes in the rain. I reached for the Portlands yesterday partly because they have a tap sole and a good in the rain (and I needed a more formal boot to match my attire). When a few different people had mentioned split toes and rain in earlier posts, I said "speaking of..."

Looking back at my post, I can see how my statement may have implied this. Sorry for any confusion - but, if it helps you get back into a split-toe, this barn weasel was happy to assist.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice to see a rare example of an AE with closed heels. This came up a few days ago, regarding AE's short-lived run of shoes with a shank and 270 welt. Does it feel different in the heel and arch than other models?

These don't feel any different than my other AE's.

Chris

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Pretty close to) Walnut Wednesday. I love the character that these are developing, and after only a few wears at that.

StylinProfilin

Reaction score
Can anyone opine as to why there is creasing in the left shoe but not the right on my PAs?

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great conversation, thank you for that. Now I need to figure out how to get my older brother to respect the shoe :)

Sadly I cannot contribute pictures today, (Wolverine Wednesday), however why doesn't AE have a current Chelsea boot? (confession, I'm hooked on boots, shoes, and now dabbling in cologne. It's very good I'm single.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads