Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

thanks

2. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I think these are all excellent options. For next fall I'm going to get a pair of brown 5th streets. Already have the Strands and a Meermin merlot-ish wingtip.

3. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

This list and order is of course just my opinion and generally a traditional and conservative one at that (though I know some that would even consider the brown FS forward and recommend black).

Course you'll never go wrong purchasing another couple of PA's or FA's to wear with a suit either. At this point, I have almost the full range (excepting bourbon) with dark brown (dainite) and black FA's, and walnut, merlot, and chili PA's.

4. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Belmonts for a Monday. Rapidly becoming a favorite in my rotation.

[​IMG]

5. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

These are the brown CXL.
    It's on the 511 last, which feels slightly shorter and wider around the toes to me.

6. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

It's the last day of this sale, and I decided to take another look at the Shoebank.
    What do I see?
    A pair of brown suede Strands in my size?
    For $147?
    Yes, please.

7. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

That's because the shark skin is absolutely awesome with these shoes.

8. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

Who had page 11 in the pool?

9. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

Lucky dog. I wish I'd have had the sense to snag a clearance pair before they were gone.

10. jaba

jaba Member

What's the general opinion on the look of these? What situations would you wear them in?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016

11. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Kept hoping I would see them in mine. I'll go and check now.

Update: nope

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016

12. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

You have gotten some excellent advice from @redmusic1 but may I reiterate a thing or two he mentioned. Or perhaps these are more my thoughts than his, but here goes:

* Since you "always wear suits," I think the next two shoes need to be year round suit shoes: a punch cap in brown (e.g. the Fifth Avenue) and a wingtip in dark brown or merlot (McAlister). Also, the Cambridge is their shell wingtip and it IS available in burgundy.[​IMG] This gives you four suit shoes, two of which would be very conservative. Of course, the wingtip also could be worn with many odd jackets, a/k/a sport coats .

* I wouldn't consider the First Avenue or Dalton a true "dress boot" in the most conservative sense. The Fifth Street is an oxford boot, albeit with a medallion and broguing. Basically a Stand in a boot. Why AE made their plain First Ave a blucher and put the broguing on their oxford boot (Fifth St.) instead of the other way around, I don't know. (Probably the same reason they didn't go ahead and make the McTavish a blucher, but I digress). The Fifth Street is available in black and dark brown (and is without speed hooks) and would make a good dress boot, though I think if I ever got an oxford dress boot, I'd go whole hog and want a plain stitch cap oxford, or perhaps a punch.

* Like many here, I succumbed to the siren's call and got a walnut strand as one of my first "nice" shoes. I've concluded it is one of the least versatile shoes I have, despite being one of my favorite to look at. To me, it is too light to properly work with typical navy or dark gray business suits. And as a lighter, single soled oxford, it doesn't really work with many of my F/W tweed jackets, flannel/cavalry twill combos. Like Red said, it is fine with lighter, summer looking casual suits, e.g. linen, seersucker, poplin, etc., but since I also have some spectators and white bucks for that, it isn't even my first choice there either. I realize many here love them so much they say "damn the rules" and wear them with things I wouldn't, including jeans (shudder). that's cool; life would be boring if we were all the same. However, I don't think they should be among your first four suit shoes. Maybe put those off for another day.

* Anyway, if you really like the Dalton (and who doesn't) maybe that could be where you scratch your walnut itch. A fantastic casual boot. However, for bad weather, there are other options with more appropriate soles. I don't know if there are any left in your size but there were some Diante soled Daltons floating around the Shoebank recently.

Just another perspective. .

13. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

Personally, I would wear them as part of a more casual rotation, with khaki or brown chinos, or dark denim.

14. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

@Captm2016

Good observations from the Count, and if you have the $, you ought to consider the Cambridge as he suggests.

I also agree with the observation that the Strand is less versatile than it may first appear, especially with suits, which is why it should definitely be down on your list. However, I get a lot of milage out of mine in the Spring and Summer, because I wear a lot of lighter colored linen and wool slacks. (I wear my walnut PA's with my summer suits instead of Strands just because I have both.) Also, I might be more apt to accept them with a nice dark pair of jeans and sport coat than the Count (Despite the fact I don't wear denim at all), but I agree that many are probably trying to dress them down too far.

@Count de Monet : Interesting point about your tweed combinations and the Strand. I don't wear my Strands with many tweed combos either. Only one, now that I think about it.

15. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Mine do that around the heel too. One more than the other, and that one does it a little more on the outside than the inside. There's a more rigid pice that makes a cup around the heel, and it wrinkles where this piece ends and the leather is not supported. As others have said, it seemed to be an issue that did the Bleeckers in and don't think it can be generalized to other models. Keeping shoe trees in seems to help a little.

This. Pants cover most of it anyway.

What's next on your shopping list? We need to do some enabling. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.