• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark lighting but brown mora 2.0 with light navy pants

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those are sweet.

I also love my thinsulate, gore Tex bean boots in the classic style

I do too. 30+ years old and they are still going strong.

If there were a hall of fame for products that "just work," over and over, are well made, and have a no questions asked lifetime guarantee, then they are in it. Truly an iconic product.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever go up half a size and down a width in Dundees? I wear 11d/10.5e but Dabondo has some Dundees in 11.5b at a great price.

I have some 11.5d Cavanaugh's, fit great in the ball, but get a little heel slip.
I don't think I'd try that. Don't have the Cavanaugh, but that seems like a bit of a jump down in width I wear an 8D in the Dundee (suede and shell), and 8E in 65 balmorals. I'd rather wear 8E in the Dundee, but then the shaft is too loose, and 8D is fine in suede and shell. Don't think I could do it in calf unless I limit myself to the thinnest of socks.

Middlife

Reaction score
I don't think I'd try that. Don't have the Cavanaugh, but that seems like a bit of a jump down in width I wear an 8D in the Dundee (suede and shell), and 8E in 65 balmorals. I'd rather wear 8E in the Dundee, but then the shaft is too loose, and 8D is fine in suede and shell. Don't think I could do it in calf unless I limit myself to the thinnest of socks.
I'd be curious to see how 8.5D in calf would fit you.

catlettsl

Reaction score
I'm between a 13C and 13D in AE's. obviously 13D's are much more common and easier to find at the bank and eBay. Thinking of using insoles to take up the extra space. What are the pros and cons of this and what insoles do you guys recommend? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standing behind the yellow line yesterday while waiting for the train and wearing my tan suede Strandmoks (which came with both tan and olive laces).

Although I have around two dozen pairs of A-E shoes, these are always the shoes that get the most comments when I wear them.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious to see how 8.5D in calf would fit you.
I tried an 8.5D in shell, but I felt it was too long. Not by much, but enough to feel that 8 was the right choice without doubt, and I don't think that would change for calf. In any case, I'm really not feeling the calf offerings on the Dundee. IMO they look better in shell and suede. Though, I did like the Oxblood a lot.

Trunk show. Natty Dundee. I'm there.

macher

Reaction score

@macher Love hearing stories like this. This is why I continue to stick around tho forum, I love when I can help out and make a difference.

Hi again Neo. Wore my Beckman's yesterday. I'm not sure if the instep is too tight with the orthodic. The RW store rep said they'll stretch a bit and after wearing them I can feel them getting more comfortable. But the instep on my right foot was hurting me a bit more. Not painful. When I took off the boots my instep was red and sore. The heal slippage started to decrease like the RW rep said as they break in. I cranked the laces right maybe I'll loosen them up a bit and see how that goes. Otherwise I can feel them breaking in comfortably except for the instep.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm between a 13C and 13D in AE's. obviously 13D's are much more common and easier to find at the bank and eBay. Thinking of using insoles to take up the extra space. What are the pros and cons of this and what insoles do you guys recommend? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where is the bulk of the extra space? I have used AE's and a host of diffferent leather thin ones from Amazon. For me I was just never really comfortably with my heel sitting slightly above the proper spot for it. Some have no issue with this at all. If it takes more than a tongue pad for a shoe to fit I typically wont keep it. Early on when I graduated to better footware I had WAY WAY more tolerance for using inserts but as I started dialing in my sizes I started becoming a fit snob...LOL

Of course I am lucky I can often range between 12 and 13 at various widths and get really good fits.

catlettsl

Reaction score

Quote:Where is the bulk of the extra space? I have used AE's and a host of diffferent leather thin ones from Amazon. For me I was just never really comfortably with my heel sitting slightly above the proper spot for it. Some have no issue with this at all. If it takes more than a tongue pad for a shoe to fit I typically wont keep it. Early on when I graduated to better footware I had WAY WAY more tolerance for using inserts but as I started dialing in my sizes I started becoming a fit snob...LOL

Of course I am lucky I can often range between 12 and 13 at various widths and get really good fits.
The extra space is in the width Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colco

Reaction score
Brooks X AE from this weekend. I am wearing thick socks, so that is the cause of the greater than normal v-gap.

Smitty2k1

Reaction score
Hey all, I recently had a pair of 2nds resoled at a local shoe repair store. I went with a local shop in Washington, DC instead of AE recrafting because the local guy charged me $83 with tax for new soles and heels. This is the first time I've ever had any shoes or boots resoled.

I just picked them up and brought them home and noticed that only "half" of the sole is new. See attached photo. Is this typical of how this type of work is done?

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I recently had a pair of 2nds resoled at a local shoe repair store. I went with a local shop in Washington, DC instead of AE recrafting because the local guy charged me $83 with tax for new soles and heels. This is the first time I've ever had any shoes or boots resoled.

I just picked them up and brought them home and noticed that only "half" of the sole is new. See attached photo. Is this typical of how this type of work is done?
Well it could be that you didn't specify you wanted a complete resole but yes this is often done. Unfortunately this work often prevents from future recrafting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.