• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmond story of shoe I got for free

Rufian

Reaction score
Couple of years ago, I sold the Park Avenues seconds I had bought cause I didn't like the fit.

I went to the Allen Edmonds store and I tried the black Hopkinson and they fit me perfectly and very comfortably, but I wanted the Walnut color. I had them order seconds to be shipped to my address from another store and they charged my credit card.

A couple of days later, when I found out about Dabondo and decided to just buy used for one from ebay, so I emailed the AE store and asked them to cancel the order and refund me, which they did.

To me surprise, a few days later, the Hopkinson shoes arrived at my place. I don't know what happened, maybe they had already shipped the shoes and the person who refunded me didn't check or realize that.

I didn't mention anything, not gonna refuse $320 free shoes which is the seconds cost back then :p

I went to Dabondo and got the black version of Hopkinson for $110, of course, they were used

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out why, years later, you feel compelled to tell this story but mostly, why you feel at ease sharing it.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of a recent event that happened to me. I ordered a 2 pound jump rope from crossropes. The order was picked up and then tracking showed it as never leaving a fedex facility in NC for 11 days. I reported it as lost to crossrope, and they immediately sent me a replacement. Sure enough, two days later the first rope arrived (these aren't cheap $60). I immediately contacted crossrope, explained what happened and asked for the procedure to return one of the ropes.

GaiusM

Reaction score
Last summer during Rancourt's crowdfunding drive I ordered a pair of loafers. They sent two identical pairs within a week of each other, each with a different packing slip. I emailed them right away and was informed that they recently changed processors and mistakenly sent duplicates to several customers. They sent a return label and I shipped the extra pair back to them.
While it would be nice to have an extra pair of shoes for free they were not mine. Craftsmanship, labor, blood sweat and tears went into making them and all by a small MiUSA company that operates on relatively slim profit margins.
I do not consider keeping products mistakenly sent theft but I do consider it immoral. Hopefully you never err in such a fashion, or if you do the recipient takes a different stance on the issue.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple of years ago, I sold the Park Avenues seconds I had bought cause I didn't like the fit.

I went to the Allen Edmonds store and I tried the black Hopkinson and they fit me perfectly and very comfortably, but I wanted the Walnut color. I had them order seconds to be shipped to my address from another store and they charged my credit card.

A couple of days later, when I found out about Dabondo and decided to just buy used for one from ebay, so I emailed the AE store and asked them to cancel the order and refund me, which they did.

To me surprise, a few days later, the Hopkinson shoes arrived at my place. I don't know what happened, maybe they had already shipped the shoes and the person who refunded me didn't check or realize that.

I didn't mention anything, not gonna refuse $320 free shoes which is the seconds cost back then :p

I went to Dabondo and got the black version of Hopkinson for $110, of course, they were used

This is kind of a scum bag move, honestly. Not sure why you thought it would be a good idea to post this here, especially with Allen Edmonds being a forum sponsor.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool story bro.
36D5FA5E-4DCD-478F-A774-65EDEDC564BC.jpeg

Rufian

Reaction score
This is kind of a scum bag move, honestly. Not sure why you thought it would be a good idea to post this here, especially with Allen Edmonds being a forum sponsor.

Do you really think AE is going to ship free shoes? ?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah dude, kind of a scummy move on your part. I mean, not theft, but it wasn't the right thing to do.

I mean, at least don't brag about it.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once bought a fleece sweatshirt during a black friday sale. Cannot remember the brand. Got confirmation on the order and shipping notifications. After that three weeks of silence. Emailed them and they send me another one with express mail.

Got a note in my mailbox that I hade two packages to pick up at the local grocery store. There was the express sent package with complimentary socks and the original package.

Emailed them about it and they answered that I could keep the sweater since the fault was theirs and that they couldn't be arsed with resorting it etc.

And that is how my mom got a fleece for Christmas some years ago :)

ultravisitor

Reaction score
About 18 months ago, I was at Neiman Marcus and bought a bottle of Frederic Malle Carnal Flower, which they had to ship to me because it wasn't in stock. For some reason, their fulfillment center sent me two even though I was only ever charged for one. I brought one of them back to Neiman Marcus and spoke to the SA, and she told me to keep it. It was their mistake, so it was my lucky day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads