• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

All-year fabric advise

Fishbone

Reaction score
Hello everyone, so I have been searching around the forums with no good answer to my question.

For an all-season/3 season(fall-winter-spring) suit. What type of fabric weight do you suggest?

I prefer English fabrics that tend to be more heavy, i love the drape! but I am worried wether getting a too heavy fabric might make the suit too warm for Tokyo springs and fall seasons. If it is e.g. English Worsted wool, how heavy would be ideal for a multiple season suit using? Any brand suggestions? What do you guys think about Bulmers&Lump?

Tokyo's climate is like a more humid version of the UK.

I currently have 1 suit made from Frontier's 10.5oz hopsack from Harringsons.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends on your climate, tolerance for heat, and the weave/ specific fabric. But very generally speaking, anywhere between 11 and 13 oz is considered mid-weight/ year round fabric.

Also probably best to ask your tailor these questions.

Fishbone

Reaction score
Depends on your climate, tolerance for heat, and the weave/ specific fabric. But very generally speaking, anywhere between 11 and 13 oz is considered mid-weight/ year round fabric.

Also probably best to ask your tailor these questions.
yeah it was my tailor that suggested Frontier as the lighter all-year fabrics suitable for Japan, falling on 10.5oz.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yeah it was my tailor that suggested Frontier as the lighter all-year fabrics suitable for Japan, falling on 10.5oz.
I would go with your tailor's suggestion. If he or she is good, they'll be able to direct you to the right fabrics. If they're not any good, then fabric is the least of your concerns (suit will turn out not great either way). There are too many variables that affect how warm a suit will wear -- the construction, weave, fiber, weight, etc. Plus your preferences, intended use, and regional climate. The best thing is for you to just discuss these things with your tailor.

Fishbone

Reaction score
I would go with your tailor's suggestion. If he or she is good, they'll be able to direct you to the right fabrics. If they're not any good, then fabric is the least of your concerns (suit will turn out not great either way). There are too many variables that affect how warm a suit will wear -- the construction, weave, fiber, weight, etc. Plus your preferences, intended use, and regional climate. The best thing is for you to just discuss these things with your tailor.
My tailor told me 10.5-13oz is ideal for a all year suit which is kinda similar to what you said xD
Just wanted to hear what everyone else thinks here at styleforum, in addition to recommendations.

I am going to use this suit for everyday office use, so it is going to see alot of wear hence why I am trying to stay away from fabrics too light that will crease

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I find is a coat will cover a 11oz or so fabric in winter, and it could be worn without a coat in April/May/September/October/November. July and August are the jacket less chino months. Hopsack breathes a lot, and doesn't keep in warmth for the winter months. A heavier fabric could work October to May, and thats 8 months covered. Apart from the June-September period, Japan is suit heaven - everyone is well dressed and accepts suits as the norm.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's