1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

All Things Hippity and Hoppity

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by gladhands, Dec 1, 2010.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

will def give it a listen.

2. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

Also, check out Jeremiah Jae.

3. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

Man.. I wanna like that guy. But he is very underwhelming. :(

4. justridiculous

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  5. justridiculous

Man.. I wanna like that guy. But he is very

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

6. justridiculous

Sorry about the wonky formatting... phone SFing. But I like these two by him, along with some other mixtape stuff.

7. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Keep 'em coming......

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

the two albums i've been listening non stop as of late is the vince staples album and donnie trumpet and the social experiments (chance the rapper's back up band)

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  9. justridiculous

Guilty Simpson (his album with Madlib called OJ Simpson was really good), Frank N Dank, Daedelus, Strong Arm Steady, Jake One

10. justridiculous

I also like Blu, Oh No, and certain things that Childish Gambino has released

11. justridiculous

Oh and Ras G and this dude called Nobody from L.A. He puts out some great beats

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

this stuff always bothers me a little

hip hop has never been one style. it's always been about taking something else and making something new and progressive out of it. in the 80s disco was popular so they took disco and did their own thing with it. in the west coast in the 90s they took synthesizer heavy funk music and made their own thing out of it. in the east coast they took soul and funk music and made it their own thing. a lot of groups took simple jazz and rapped over that. some people did their own shit. like RZA made stripped down weird eerie minimal beats and later did more stuff involving strings and soul music. outkast took a lot of influences from reggae and dub. that whole atlanta region started doing some weird synth heavy stuff that evolved into trap. run dmc and beastie boys took rock and made that into hip hop.

there's never been one hip hop sound. it's always been a multitude of sounds with a multitude of influences. hip hop is more of an amalgam of genres than a specific sound like jazz.

honestly dont see why groups like shabazz palaces or flying lotus isn't seen as hip hop just because they dont conform to some arbitrary definition of hip hop based on one specific era. hip hop has always constantly changed and reinvented itself

hip hop nowadays is evolving more into swag rap and singing. for a few years it was about autotune. and before that it was about fast paced rhymes. those are all eras that different types of people enjoy or dislike, but it's still all legit hip hop. just because you dont like it doesnt mean it's not good hip hop or it's not hip hop at all. old mc shan or mc ren stuff was really similar to swag rap today. simple AABB rhyme scheme on a 4/4 count. all the backpackers shit on simplistic rap today, but nobody dares say anything about old Juice Crew

13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I didn't say that I didn't like it. Pls show me where I said that.

However, I don't call that hip-hop in any way shape or form. Yes, he has his roofs in hip-hop Yes, you can hear elements of it at times.

But that is more electronic music, etc than hip hop, BY FAR.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

ok then what do you think is the line between electronic music and hip hop?

because electronic music has long been a part of hip hop. bass synth, drum machines (eg 808), MPCs have all been used by hip hop producers like Dre, Dilla, Pete Rock, RZA. Dj Premier still uses an old ass Akai MPC60.

hip hop has never been a specific sound. it's been about taking the trendy sound and making something original out of it. everybody does their own thing.

for example

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

this shit is electronic music. electronic organ, synthesizer, piano, bells. it's not the electronic music of today and it's more akin to electronic jazz, but it's the shit that hip hop producers liked back in the 90s. no doubt when you hear it you can think of a dozen songs that have all sampled various parts of the song.

same thing with today. a lot of producers today like house or that post punk industrial type sound and they make hip hop out of that.

it's still all hip hop even if it sounds different than what it sounded like early 2000s, mid 90s, late 80s, which were all completely different sounds. it's like if you grew up on G-Funk sampling chromeo and shit and then said jazz based hip hop isn't hip hop at all. or said rock based hip hop isn't hip hop at all. it makes no sense

15. Tirailleur1

Yes it is very close to electronica (His albums could also make a list of greatest electronic albums ever), but so can Entroducing

At least that is how I look at it.

Albums that can make both lists

Boy in the Corner
    Entroducing
    Donuts
    COSMOGRAMMA

16. justridiculous

J Dilla is the king of everything

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

to be fair tho it's not like i dont understand where ter is coming from. a lot of the songs in entroducing and donuts have that typical hip hop emphasis on 4 bar drum loops at 100 - 115 bpm, heavy bass line, with samples/variations on funk and soul. cosmogramma and boy in the corner departs from that quite a bit. but stuff like that's always been around. hi-teknology 2, a lot of the def jux stuff, and madlib has gone there and back. also hip hop has always sampled heavily from electro-funk groups like zapp roger, cameo, and george clinton. if that shit isn't electronic i guess i dont know what electronic is

anyways this meek - drake feud is possibly the shittiest feud of all time. the meek mills drop was straight up the opposite of everything ether was.

18. Tirailleur1

Oh I know where he is coming from

A FB freind of mine on the Drake Meek Mill Beef

Beef Level- Yamcha vs Saiberman

1 person likes this.
  19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Bahahhaa. I laughed hard at that

20. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

For some reason I can't help thinking Skepta wrote Drakes disses, trust me daddy.

Kraftwerk made some of the first beats used in hip hop.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015