• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All Things Hippity and Hoppity

clark kent

Reaction score
posted this in streetwear and denim, their opinions were that i should never rap again. i do spoken word poetry, but have been writing some rap verses for a while. i probably focus a bit on lyrics too much, but hey whatever. its not like im trying to be the next big thing. i did not upload this video btw, so please ignore the title. i am not working.

a video of me rapping a verse.

Last edited:

Gingahbman

Reaction score

posted this in streetwear and denim, their opinions were that i should never rap again. i do spoken word poetry, but have been writing some rap verses for a while. i probably focus a bit on lyrics too much, but hey whatever. its not like im trying to be the next big thing. i did not upload this video btw, so please ignore the title. i am not working.

Yeah, either stick to spoken word or completely reinvent your style. The combination sounds terrible.

Not saying that you should give up on any of your dreams, but right now your flow sounds wayyy too awkward.

My advice? Take a few of your role models in the rap game and study their style. Then try to mimic them and see how it sounds. After awhile, you'll get a feel of what works for you, and more importantly, what doesn't. For example, not everyone can be a fast rapper. By testing out different rap styles, you'll eventually find your niche.

Good luck.

Last edited:

clark kent

Reaction score
thanks man. sadly enough i find my inspiration from artists like sage francis and el-p. hence my use of multi-syllable rhyming and complex schemes.

its hard for me because when i write its not like im trying to make like a catchy song, its more of actually putting my thoughts/feelings into creative lyrics. i should focus on flow and timing more, but then i feel like im dumbing **** down. im kind of stuck in the crossroads.

also a big problem is that ive been writing songs for soooo long, but never really got the chance until recently to record or even hear myself. so this whole time i've been progressing my lyrics without even noticing how off my flow was.

Gingahbman

Reaction score

thanks man. sadly enough i find my inspiration from artists like sage francis and el-p. hence my use of multi-syllable rhyming and complex schemes.
its hard for me because when i write its not like im trying to make like a catchy song, its more of actually putting my thoughts/feelings into creative lyrics. i should focus on flow and timing more, but then i feel like im dumbing **** down. im kind of stuck in the crossroads.
also a big problem is that ive been writing songs for soooo long, but never really got the chance until recently to record or even hear myself. so this whole time i've been progressing my lyrics without even noticing how off my flow was.

Creative is fine, but flow and timing are of the essence. Just keep practicing and hearing yourself on tape. You'll get there eventually! :slayer:

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I could go through 66 pages to figure this out but, who do you spin these days, then?
I don't like rap or rappers. I like bitching about them. In the past five years, I have enjoyed new music from: Clipse (mixtape only) Weezy (mixtape only) Freddie Gibbs Rozay Mr Muthafuckin EXquire Yeezy Camp Lo (Mixtape) Sean Price Das Racist Pill Heltah Skeltah Jeezy

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If your lyrics are going to be that earnest, you absolutely MUST write tighter bars and work on your flow. There aren't a lot of people who are willing to listen to wordy AND emo. I didn't sense a lot of rhythm there, which is fine if you're going going for a 2001 Anticon sort of thing. I saw you list El-P as a major influence, but what people often seem to miss about El-P is that his hip-hop is rooted in boom-bap, and while he tries to pack a lot of words into a bar, he actually flows pretty well and never disregards the beat.

Last edited:

Gingahbman

Reaction score

I don't like rap or rappers. I like bitching about them. In the past five years, I have enjoyed new music from:
Clipse (mixtape only)
Weezy (mixtape only)
Freddie Gibbs
Rozay
Mr Muthafuckin EXquire
Yeezy
Camp Lo (Mixtape)
Sean Price
Das Racist
Pill
Heltah Skeltah
Jeezy

**** outta here! You didn't **** with Hell Hath No Fury?

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

**** outta here! You didn't **** with Hell Hath No Fury?

Post-"Drop it Like it's Hot" Skateboard P productions bore the living **** out of me. I also think that left uninterrupted, Pusha and Mal get quite tiresome especially since Pusha refuses to change his flow. They need Sandman and Liva to break the monotony.

Gingahbman

Reaction score

Post-"Drop it Like it's Hot" Skateboard P productions bore the living **** out of me. I also think that left uninterrupted, Pusha and Mal get quite tiresome especially since Pusha refuses to change his flow. They need Sandman and Liva to break the monotony.

Frank: [laughing] You're... you're crazy man. I like you, but you're crazy.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't like rap or rappers. I like bitching about them. In the past five years, I have enjoyed new music from:
Clipse (mixtape only)
Weezy (mixtape only)
Freddie Gibbs
Rozay
Mr Muthafuckin EXquire
Yeezy
Camp Lo (Mixtape)
Sean Price
Das Racist
Pill
Heltah Skeltah
Jeezy

you didn't like clipse's first two albums or carter II? i feel like jeezy as of late gets a lot of nice beats but rarely does them justice.

what do you guys think of nicki minaj? her flow sounds quite similar to weezy but something about how annoying her voice is and something in her flow makes me like her a lot. something like how so well she knows her lyrics. almost like she's bored of it.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

you didn't like clipse's first two albums or carter II? i feel like jeezy as of late gets a lot of nice beats but rarely does them justice.
what do you guys think of nicki minaj? her flow sounds quite similar to weezy but something about how annoying her voice is and something in her flow makes me like her a lot. something like how so well she knows her lyrics. almost like she's bored of it.

I thought her verse on "Monster" was easily the best verse. Everyone else seemed to struggle with the concept, other than Kayne. It seems like song to song you're going to get a few things with Young Money's roster, being either a) a failed ambitious effort, b) an accomplished ambitious effort, or c) the absolute worst pandering. Mostly c) though. It makes money. I was listening to some Clear Channel station a while ago and Lil Wayne, Drake, or Nicki Minaj are literally on every other song.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
young money dominating everywhere. i remember reading an article a few years ago about weezy's collaborations and how he charged far less than most other mainstream artists. good strategy and paying off now

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads