• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All Things Hippity and Hoppity

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Name the great Biggie ALBUM. I can't listen to Ready to Die anymore. There's a lot of ****** production, and mediocre songs. Life After Death, like all hip-hop double albums is rife with filler tracks (it's also the album that sent hip-hop into a downward spiral, but that's another post).

Name your top five Biggie songs, and I'll bet two or three of them aren't on Biggie albums.

****** production on Ready to Die? Mediocre songs? Where?!

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Biggie's verse on Notorious Thugs is probably my favorite.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gfreeman
****** production on Ready to Die? Mediocre songs? Where?!

The What
Me and My *****
Machine Gun funk
Respect

I can't listen to any of those songs anymore. I genreally skip Gimme the Loot when it comes up on shuffle as well.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we get a solo Andre 3000 album already ? He's one of my top 5.

He's the king of guest appearances.

Walk it Out
I Want You (Lloyd)
What A Job (Devin The Dude)
International Player's Anthem (UGK)

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The What
Me and My *****
Machine Gun funk
Respect

I can't listen to any of those songs anymore. I genreally skip Gimme the Loot when it comes up on shuffle as well.

Wow. That's all I gotta say.

If you don't like raw, dusty tracks with palpable neck snap ability, then fair enough. "The What" and "Machine Gun Funk" (especially "Machine Gun Funk"!) are amazing beats.

feliks

Reaction score
so we all agree that lil b is by far the best dude in the game right now? dude is by far the hardest working man in hip-hop, puts out a mixtape every other week it seems like. also really digging big k.r.i.t.'s mixtape from last year.

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waka Flocka Flame is the ****. Seriously, whenever I listen to his music I want to take PCP and fight people. Glad that Pitchfork gave him a good review.

Oh, and Mac Miller sucks balls.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
You confuse me with your shoddy grammar, "When I say classic, I mean nothing before 1990 - mid 90's" So you want old or new classics? Explain yourself.
Eh, for the sake of this discussion, lets go with pre 1990.

B Hamilton

Reaction score
Name the great Biggie ALBUM. I can't listen to Ready to Die anymore. There's a lot of ****** production, and mediocre songs. Life After Death, like all hip-hop double albums is rife with filler tracks (it's also the album that sent hip-hop into a downward spiral, but that's another post).

Name your top five Biggie songs, and I'll bet two or three of them aren't on Biggie albums.

Both Classics.

Kick in the Door
I Love the Dough ft. Jay-Z
What's Beef?
I Got a Story to Tell
Notorious Thugs
Ten Crack Commandments
Sky's the Limit
Long Kiss Goodnight
Gimme the Loot
Warning
Unbelievable
Who Shot Ya?

My God!

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The What Me and My ***** Machine Gun funk Respect I can't listen to any of those songs anymore. I genreally skip Gimme the Loot when it comes up on shuffle as well.
I will now ignore your opinion on all matters. Clearly you suffer from some horrible affliction that should by all accounts have you committed due to being a danger to yourself and others.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
I will now ignore your opinion on all matters. Clearly you suffer from some horrible affliction that should by all accounts have you committed due to being a danger to yourself and others.

That's nostalgia talking. I hadn't heard Ready to Die in its entirety in years, and recently tried to add it back into my rotation. All of the aforementioned songs sound great in my head, but significantly worse when I actually listen to them. Maybe I have a reduced tolerance for robbery rhymes that DON'T come from MOP.

Now, I have a big problem with Life After Death. In my mind, it's the first rap album constructed purely as commodity. I can't think of another album that tried to be more things to more people. Previous rap albums were the product of a singular vision or aesthetic. Life After Death was cold and calculated. There were songs aimed to appeal to every popular rap subgenre of its time. Notorious Thugs was a concession to the then-insanely hot midwestern style (Bone, Crucial Conflict, Twista). Long Kiss Goodnight was aimed at the Wu-fans. Going Back to Cali was transparent as it was ******. Another was more of a failed attempt at a Jay/Foxy track than a Big/Kim track. Regardless, it blew the **** up.

The game hasn't been the same since. Everyone is more concerned with broad appeal than creating a cohesive album.

There is a classic 10-12 track album hidden in Life After Death, but you can't ignore the **** that fills it out. This is all coming from a Biggie fan

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you say are the best Wu albums? A friend of mine asked me. My answers were:
36 Chambers
Return to the 36 Chambers
Ironman
Fishscale
Liquid Swords
Tical
Blackout
OBFCL 1 and 2
The W
I also recommended Wu-Massacre just because it's fun (but not as an album)

any i'm missing?

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
What would you say are the best Wu albums? A friend of mine asked me. My answers were:
36 Chambers
Return to the 36 Chambers
Ironman
Fishscale
Liquid Swords
Tical
Blackout
OBFCL 1 and 2
The W
I also recommended Wu-Massacre just because it's fun (but not as an album)

any i'm missing?

Supreme Clientle
Pretty Toney

I prefer these to Fishscale by a lot.

Forever is a better album than The W in my eyes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics