• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All Things Considered, the Best Ties

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm going for the trifecta of tie threads. We've had Marinella and Duchamp (which I started an hour or so ago), but when the RJman used the phrase "the makers we all love," I got to wondering who these were. If we consider all facets of tie quality--silk quality, construction, patterns, style, etc.--what does everyone see as the "all-things-considered, best ties" available?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
...but when the RJman ...
It's just "RJman", please. "The" is reserved for "the RJ cat" (note space).

I would say among the best ties we have

Drake's
Carlo Franco
Charles Hill/Turnbull & Asser
Hilditch & Key (Hand Made collection)

I don't know the Italians well enough to comment cogently. I do suggest that elements like silk quality, use of a real keeper,tightness of weave and others be considered.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For no holds barred luxury, I would say that the Rubinacci unlined 7-fold ties are the finest that I have ever seen. I know that KCC has seen them recently as well, and I imagine would also say that they are the single most gluttonous ties in existance.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Add Nicky to the list. And Roda.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Add Nicky to the list. And Roda.

If only the local stores that carried Nicky bought them in less obscene patterns. The ones we see here are really awful.

Overall, I actually like them more than Marinella as the interlinings tend to be a bit softer so they have a nicer drape to them.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Agreeing with Nicky, Drake's, Charles Hill/T&A above I would also add Breuer to the list. They seem to stay under the radar, but I like my Breuers as well as the ties I have by the other makers I named.

I like Talbott ties, too, especially BOC, but sometimes the designs are...questionable.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Four Musketeers are
- Carlo Franco (for fabrics and construction, but there are not many designs that I love)
- Drakes
- Bvlgari
- New & Lingwood

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I also like the Udeshi ties I've seen. All of his stuff reflects a great eye for style and a very reassuring obsession with quality.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
For no holds barred luxury, I would say that the Rubinacci unlined 7-fold ties are the finest that I have ever seen. I know that KCC has seen them recently as well, and I imagine would also say that they are the single most gluttonous ties in existance.
Are there several "Rubinacci"s out there? I've seen "Rubinacci" ties at very low prices on eBay. One on there now is referred to as by "Mariano Rubinacci"

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I also like the Udeshi ties I've seen. All of his stuff reflects a great eye for style and a very reassuring obsession with quality.

Ditto. I'm wearing one his shirts today and he makes some of the very best RTW in my opinion

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Are there several "Rubinacci"s out there? I've seen "Rubinacci" ties at very low prices on eBay. One on there now is referred to as by "Mariano Rubinacci"
He used to do some RTW for Barney's etc. The ones I am talking about are only sold out of his bespoke ateliers. They are a whold different ballgame. Here is a picture. The edges are all hand rolled like a pocket square and there is no lining whatsoever. His selection of silks is conservative but lovely.
rutieditedlarge2sz.jpg

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

RJman - do you know who makes his shoes by the way? They look like EG from the few pictures I saw...

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RJman (note absence of the definite article): How long has Udeshi been making ties?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
a) He posts here and is a very accomodating fellow, so I don't mean to steal his thunder

b) I believe he's been selling ties as long as his business has been around, so the last few years (not sure how long he's been in business). He has a choice little boutique in Mayfair off Berkeley Square that I recommend anyone to stop by. Along with Connolly, it has something for everyone (with the urge to spend).

c) Oscar doesn't make anything. He's simply a retailer and designer who appears to have taken the high road, thoroughly researching the best suppliers to make quality products of flair and style. I'd compare him favorably to any classic-contemporary designer out there. He's also honest and upfront about the design and quality of his garments.

d) I haven't seen the shoes in person; I have my own thoughts (none minatory) but for the moment I am keeping them to myself. He also offers bespoke shirts and shoes, and probably suits as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics