All Things Considered, the Best Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roger, Jun 8, 2006.

1. JamesT

JamesT Senior member

Regarding the Rubinacci, I was told that all their 7-folds are made from vintage silks - hence the rather "standard" patterns, I suppose.

2. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Matt:

The Rubinacci 7-folds don't impress me any more than the Holliday & Brown seven-folds I own, which have the same details and more interesting silks.

3. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

I'm not sure what tier it would fall into, but I just returned from T.J. Maxx with a tie that seems to compare well with the some of the nicest Talbott BOC ties I've run across. Its an Alby and both the construction and silk seem to be to be quite good. Any experience with these ties here?

They're alright for the money - but they're not "the real thing". Good for someone's first job right after college or law school.

4. Moss

Moss Senior member

I recently bought a FIG tie (by Daniel Figueredo). It has very high quality, heavy silk and is on par with my best italian ties (Bizzocchi, Battistoni, Marinella). Not a double-four or seven-fold, but nonetheless quite nice. I'm thinking about ordering a Sam Hober as well.

5. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

They're alright for the money - but they're not "the real thing". Good for someone's first job right after college or law school.

For $10.00 on T.J. Maxx clearance it will do just fine for everyday wear.[​IMG]

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Regarding the Rubinacci, I was told that all their 7-folds are made from vintage silks - hence the rather "standard" patterns, I suppose.
    That would shock me. I think that the patterns are based on vintage silks, but I really have no idea.

7. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I must say that I now have a higher opinion of the Robt. Talbott Best of Class ties than I did when I put up my own version of a tie hierarchy months ago on AAAC. At that time, I saw them as a Tier 2 tie--very good, but not quite up to the Tier 1 lines like Kiton, Carlo Franco, Sam Hober, Charvet, Borrelli, Marinella, Attolini, Isaia, Bulgari, and Hermes, a number of these Tier 1 ties being sevenfold. It's possible the Talbott sevenfolds belong in this top class, but not having any to evaluate, I left them out. I've discovered that the Talbott BOC ties, however, although perhaps not up to the top-tier lines vis-a-vis silk quality and construction (and thus likely still best considered a Tier 2 tie) do include some wonderful patterns that are nicer than anything I've seen from other tiemakers. This is particularly true, in my opinion, with respect to their paisleys, Diorshoe. BTW, I too am eagerly awaiting the unveiling of the July Sam Hober paisleys--evidently a happening about to happen shortly! [​IMG]

The BOC ties are slip stitched which makes them better constructed than 90% of the big-brand ties out there. The Estate ties are the best made ties I've seen period, though I've no experience with Hober (yet.) Robert Talbott seven folds are nice, but I am not a fan of unlined seven folds, they lack body.

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

re above I should also say that I somewhat prefer ties that lack body.

9. A Harris

We do seem to have diametrically opposite preferences in ties [​IMG]

I should add that skinny ties on a guy my size don't look right...

10. LSeca

LSeca Senior member

The BOC ties are slip stitched which makes them better constructed than 90% of the big-brand ties out there. The Estate ties are the best made ties I've seen period, though I've no experience with Hober (yet.) Robert Talbott seven folds are nice, but I am not a fan of unlined seven folds, they lack body.

+1 on the Estate.

Respectfully, I have to disagree with the RT seven folds. The ties have almost too much body as is, forming a large knot. A lining would make them much too difficult to tie. They are thick with heavy texture and and stay put all day long.

11. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Massimo Bizzochi ties are also slip-stitched. One of the current tie bargains I think in terms of pricing.

12. ibleedwhite

ibleedwhite Senior member

what do you guys think of http://www.thetiebar.com?

I've read their publications in some magazine..and I've actually ordered a tie from them. very nice actually. quick shipping as well.

anyone else have any experience with them? good or bad?

13. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I've tried hating Charvet. I hate that I love their weaves better than anyone else's. I hate that I love the knot they make. I hate the way they come apart if you are not careful. I hate the way they have gone up in price from what I used to pay for them at BG. I've found some good ties (Drakes, Turnbull, Borrelli, Marinella) in my quest to forget Charvet. But alas, love is love [​IMG] . Charvet's weaves are untouchable in their beauty. I've never felt so exquisitely dressed as when I wear Charvet.

It would be nice if you could get what you want from Charvet. I would prefer the smaller more geometric repeating patterns in wovens that resemble old school English ties. Maybe they could put their archives online and we could get our own ties made for a platry $200 or so?

the corner falafel guy gives me the chicken from last week instead of the month-old..... I just can't quit Charvet.

What makes you think that's chicken?

14. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Matt:

The Rubinacci 7-folds don't impress me any more than the Holliday & Brown seven-folds I own, which have the same details and more interesting silks.

+1

It would be nice if you could get what you want from Charvet. I would prefer the smaller more geometric repeating patterns in wovens that resemble old school English ties. Maybe they could put their archives online and we could get our own ties made for a platry $200 or so?

What makes you think that's chicken?

yeah, the problem with Charvet is that by the third time you touch them, they are ruined.

Well, I like to make believe it's chicken. It's the same animal that they use for those gyro's, hot dogs, potato knishes, "steak" sandwiches and other assorted pseudo foodstuffs they sell.

15. A Harris

I'll defer to you as I don't think I really can't remember the last time I knotted a RT 7-fold. I'd imagine it would also depend on the fabric.