• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All the kids are wearing the Prussian Iron Cross?

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
What is "with" the ubiquity, in the world of American youth clothing, of the Prussian Iron Cross? I see it on all sorts of clothes, mostly shirts and hoodies and the like though. Unless you're Captain von Rauffenstein or Colonel Klink, why would you want to wear the thing? I'm not trying to "troll" here - I sincerely don't understand why the symbol would be so popular on clothing. Even Tony Hawk, of Playstation 2 fame, is wearing one. Is it intended as irony? (pun, ha.) But really - why?

Are they Kaiserites?
confused.gif

jkennett

Reaction score
Irony, no. This is merely the spread of skateboard brands into the mainstream. Independent Truck Company (maker of skateboard axles for more than 25 years) has always had the Prussian cross as it's emblem. It makes perfect sense that Tony Hawk would wear a garment with their brand on it since he's probably used their trucks since he was a little kid. Dumb thread man... Peace. http://www.independenttrucks.com/

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RatherAnOddball
Dumb reason to wear a Prussian Iron Cross, dude. **** you.
Wow. Getting a little defensive, aren't you? I answered your question, provided a link to said answer, and all I get is a **** you in return. I'd try to work up the effort to get angry and all that but you're not worth it. You can email Independent and ask them why they chose to use a Prussian Cross as a logo (you can also tell them that they're dumb to use a historic symbol of a dead empire for their company while you're at it). I'm sure they'll be deeply moved by your opinion and change it immediately, especially since selling tons of clothes with that symbol is only making them money, and your approval is worth so much more than that.
boxing[1].gif

linux_pro

Reaction score
Maybe because they think it goes well with their tribal tattoos?

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the crucifix, as a symbol of Christ's sacrifice for mortal sins, has been a great marketing tool. I think people consciously associate the symbol with nobility, and esp. among Christians, the symbol has been endowed with various emotional affects such as piety, peace, and friendship. Many companies, from low to high ends, use some variation of it to exploit these psychological undercurrents. My favorite watch company, Vacheron Constantin, employs a variation of the symbol:
constantin-vacheron-body_02.gif

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Also goes with the heavy metal thing.

Sorta like the Swastika, thanks to the Nazis its become sort of a dirty word, though not nearly as much as the aforementioned symbol.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You old guys crack me up.

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
I've always thought of it as the "Maltese Cross"...and I associate it far more with "Knights" and "Crusades" and other "romantic" imagery... than I do with Germany....least of all Nazi's. For years I've maintained an ongoing, digital "scrapbook" of sorts, of iconic images. I refer to them often for use as decorative elements on my knives. And the Maltese Cross is easily one of my all-time favorites! Right up there with the Fleur de Lys, Greek Key...and the Medusa (nod to Versace). I definitely intend to use it on a knife...Just waiting for the right project to come along. BTW- I'm one of the "old guys"... And for what it's worth, I happen to be Jewish. Dennis

CBDB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
the crucifix, as a symbol of Christ's sacrifice for mortal sins, has been a great marketing tool. I think people consciously associate the symbol with nobility, and esp. among Christians, the symbol has been endowed with various emotional affects such as piety, peace, and friendship.

Many companies, from low to high ends, use some variation of it to exploit these psychological undercurrents. My favorite watch company, Vacheron Constantin, employs a variation of the symbol:

constantin-vacheron-body_02.gif

FWIW I think Vacheron uses the Maltese Cross not the Iron Cross. The Maltese Cross has a long and illustrious tradition among Christians starting with the Knights of Saint John Hospitallers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics