All Styles Considered: An Arts Magazine from StyleForum Users

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by g transistor, Jan 13, 2016.

1. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Keep the submissions coming in!

I really hope ya'll are thinking about what to submit, because we've got some great talent and stories here!

Here's a photo from my mom's garden last summer, where she grows a shit ton of thai basil. Whenever I go home to visit, she always makes a giant spread of food for us to eat. One of her biggest complaints about food in the US is that she says the stuff she buys from the market just doesn't taste as fresh, so whenever she makes any food, you can be sure that she'll trot out into the backyard and snip off some fresh herbs and greens to put on the table.

[​IMG]

So whenever I smell thai basil, I think of home. I think of waking up early on a crisp Sunday morning, mom and dad have a bowl of pho broth broth going on the stove. I think of seeing my mom walking in with a big basket of fragrant herbs of all sorts. I think of dad rushing around the kitchen, charring onions and ginger, pouring out that, skimming off that, is the coffee ready? No, no, we're having tea this morning.

It's amazing how smells can bring you back to a place and time in the past so vividly.

2. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

i am aiming to write something!

3. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

My first adult job took me to an odd and desert-like part of my state. After two years there I yearned for the coast again. On a whim, I moved 600km south of the desert to the extreme South of my state - where the grassland turns to forest which turns to sand and waves. I didn't love the town I'd moved to, I spent a lot of time trying to escape the status quo of football, netball, beers, fishing and white Australia by walking around, further and further afield to try and find something bizarre and out of place, I guess somewhere that felt like I did a lot of the time.

The area had the most incredible sunsets and sunrises - facing west, and often vaguely cloudly almost each night sees the whole town basking in pink, purple and yellow. I took a lot of these photos, but felt kind of cheap doing so. In my last week in the town I visited a lookout about 5km from my house each night. The first three days were lacklustre, and then on the fourth I came across a van at the end of the road, the sunset reflected in it's side, and the colours fading and bleeding into each other exactly like I imagined in my head.

[​IMG]

4. g transistor

A little less than a month left to submit! Remember to send something in!

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

[​IMG]

This reminds me so much of California's Salton Sea, but just a lot cleaner.

6. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

There's a photographer called Ron Jude - he made this work (http://ronjude.com/lago) all around the Salton Sea.

It reminded me very much of the inner-Australia that's in that photo.

Check it out!

7. troika

troika Senior member

Just putting the final touches on a photo essay for y'all

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Absolutely. Wow, that takes me back. LA is like that a lot as well, though more urban waste in some places, and less desolate. People get this idea of LA being all Hollywood, and sun and brightness and nice cars, which it is also (I spend a fair bit of my time there in Beverly Hills), but the part that really spoke to me were the less glamorous parts of LA - the bars in Glendale where old boozehounds go to fade (I think that I've been hit on by more 50-something women than any other age group), the ganged up shack like strip clubs in El Monte, the wierd amber glow that I am pretty sure is characteristically LA, and that I've not seen elsewhere.

9. g transistor

About two weeks left to submit! If you've been putting it off, set aside an hour or two and send it in, we'd love to get some more submissions!

10. PaintSplattered

PaintSplattered Senior member

I'll be sending some more submissions in, for sure.

This isn't one of them, but if anyone needs last minute inspiration, here is an old iPhone snapshot I took out the passenger side of a moving car.

I was on the way home from an art gallery. I'm fond of it because I really like the gallery I visited and the people who run it are warm and welcoming. The day was not as warm, but because of the people we saw, it was welcoming.

[​IMG]

11. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

After the fall of the Soviet Union, poverty became a huge reality for Russians. During this time Alexey Titarenko look spooky, almosy ghastly images of life there - very attached to time and place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. PaintSplattered

PaintSplattered Senior member

Those are amazing, thanks for posting them.

I'm slowly going through the photography thread. It is very interesting. I'm not a photographer but it is a wonderful artistic medium.

In December I saw a display of Gordon Parks "Segregation Story" at the Sheldon Museum in Lincoln, Nebraska. I was powerful, to say the least.

13. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Any preferred proportions on photo submissions? I've had photos cropped in a way I wouldn't have done in the past.

14. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

At the moment we have no preferences, if changes need to be made I'll PM you and double check your opinion.