• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All i want for christmas is...

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, clothing- and style-wise, what's everyone getting for Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/'Eid Al-Fitr etc.? What does everyone want from friends and family? And, most importantly,
wink.gif
what will we be buying for ourselves during this holiday period? I think I'll pick up some gingham-checked and striped shirts, and my second made-to-measure suit will be ready in February. That's about all I want... of course, things will change as soon as the sales start.
wink.gif
I know my parents are giving me a huge bundle of silk pocket squares bought from an estate sale, so that's pretty cool. Anyone else? Cheers, Nick.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except for a really cool zip jacket/cardigan by Burberry Prorsum (which sold out in September) and a hip-length, single-breasted, chocolate-brown, moleskin jacket by Costume National (which I'll get at Christmas - thank you Santa), I have found this past season to be rather slim pickings in the sportswear department.

There were some cool pieces from Paul Smith, as usual, but I think that their "inside-out" jackets with constrast detailing will be dated in a couple of months. The same can be said for nearly all of Prada's current line. And Miu Miu, which had such a terrific F/W 2001-2002, was pretty disappointing this season. Sigh... I guess that it's YOOX for me this season.

In conclusion, give me old stuff and cash.

Jantzen fan

Reaction score
I want a Helmut Lang dark blue denim jacket to wear with my check shirts.

BjornH

Reaction score
I've heard rumors that Santa is giving me a wool/silk crewneck sweater from Hugo Boss, using my wife as a proxy.
After that, I will take to the post-Christmas sales and if I have something left I'll spend it in Orlando late January...

Merry Christmas .

VWpete

Reaction score
Santa's bringing me a Lorenzini dress shirt and a Dior Homme overcoat. I will be back in Chicago next week and will check out the 2nd markdown at a few stores. I'm going to NYC the 13th, so I'm sure I'll pick a few things up there.
Pete

Jofaile

Reaction score
Well, since no one limited this to a purely clothing-related Christmas receivable list, here are some of the things I am getting... 1.) 31" Zenith Plasma iFlat HDTV (2 1/2" inches deep, I might add) 2.) Panasonic Progressive-Scan DVD-Video Recorder with 40GB Hard Drive 3.) A dozen DVDs (including, but not limited to, Minority Report Two Disc Digital Version, A Beautiful Mind Special Edition, White Christmas - I love that movie, Lord of the Rings Four Disc Extended Version, and, my personal favorite, the complete and utterly ridiculous DVD box set of every James Bond movie ever made) 4.) A custom-made Tan Super 140s Three-button Suit with ticket pocket (to put me in the Fall spirit) 5.) GianFranco Ferre Black Wool Overcoat

thc

Reaction score
I'd like a trip to Europe to check out the Strennesse collection--Jil Sander's supposed successor to the German fashion queen crown.

pstoller

Reaction score
As per my usual request, Santa will be donating money to charity in my name this year. Santa's prettiest helper may be getting me something else, but I haven't a clue as to what it is.

Joe G

Reaction score
Okay, clothing- and style-wise, what's everyone getting for Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/'Eid Al-Fitr etc.?
I already pretty much know what my fiance got me -- Tod's wingtips that are built on the sole of their bowling shoes. More importantly, I'm going to see her for the first time since October. Other than that, nothing. (The traditional gift for Eid al-Fitr is money.)
importantly,
wink.gif
what will we be buying for ourselves during this holiday period?
Clothes-wise, I'm going to pick up my long-awaited camelhair overcoat from Max Dietl in Munich on the 27th (two days before my fiance and I leave for some charity work in Zambia). Otherwise, if I have time, I'll look for these pieces from this season: -the peak-lapel Valentino suit -DB shearling by Miu Miu if I have time. -The rubberised wool zip cardigan by CP Company -Martin Margiela's jeans deconstructed and reconstructed into trad-cut trousers -A Dirk Schoenberger deconstructed formal shirt -Also, if I can find my size in Paul Smith's ticket-pocketed SB dinner jacket, I'll give my Dunhill one to Goodwill. But I probably won't have time. What I really want, though, is to put down my deposit for one of the first of these to cross the pond:
bluefront.jpg
Lotus Elise in the USA I don't know what engine is going to be in it (the front-runners are apparently a Honda VTEC four with 200-some HP and the 180 hp Toyota 1.8L that's used on the hot Matrix, because the Opel/Vauxhall unit used in the European variants of the Elise since 1995 or so would have to be federalised), and don't really care. Whatever lump they put in there, it'll be a fun-to-drive, reliable, socially responsible (very high MPG due to the light weight, easily recyclable mostly aluminium components), reasonably-priced hedonist car.
biggrin.gif
A friend of my fiance's family has a 1996 one, and I've never had more fun on a twisty road before. Make mine British Racing Green with two yellow stripes down the bonnet. Peace, JG

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to get into law school....that's about it.
This reminds me of Oscar Wilde's observation that "There are only two tragedies in life; one is not getting what one's heart desires; the other is getting it."

I'm hoping Santa delivers me inspiration to finish a brief due on January 2.

If I can figure out how to justify buying a watch that will cost more than the rest of my wardrobe combined, I'd like to get a Blancpain.

Jofaile

Reaction score
If I can figure out how to justify buying a watch that will cost more than the rest of my wardrobe combined, I'd like to get a Blancpain.
I am somewhat of a connoisseur (or, at the very least, I arrogantly consider myself to be
smile.gif
) of watches (I have twenty-two...well, twenty-four as of December 26th, if I have been told correctly by family of my mother's gifts to me) and I must say, those are very well made watches. They top my most expensive watch which stands at $3,200 now but, again, after Christmas, I think it may rise to $4,500. Anyway, if you could, for my benefit, post a link of the one in which you wish to buy, I would appreciate it greatly (I am just curious).

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway, if you could, for my benefit, post a link of the one in which you wish to buy, I would appreciate it greatly (I am just curious).
I am interested in the Blancpain Aqualung. Â In my opinion, it is a beautifully minimalist watch that can go with anything from jeans and a t-shirt to a tux. Â The current retail price is $5,300. Â I found a place that was willing to sell it new for $4,250. Â Because Blancpains have relatively poor resale value (resale value being primarily a function of demand and name recognition), the Aqualung is available used for anywhere between $2,500 to $3,100. Â I'll probably go the used route, because unless the watch has a very visible scratch or ding, the difference between new and used does not justify the difference in price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads