• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

all black suits?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just puked. When I see people wearing matching ties/shirt, black ties and shirts, any dark colored shirt with a suit I don't regard them as humans.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I do wear black suits (usually if out in the evening and require the use of a suit), I dont quite understand the general loathing for black. There are some here that even hate black shoes.

While it commonly accepted that black anything (apart from shoes perhaps) is bad juju in 99% of occasions, where does this hate come from? Do you all equally hate Black Cars? Black Laptops? Black Bags? Dark sunglasses? Black wristbands? Black TV screen?

The consensus is that black = bad, but where does this arise from? Superstitious victorians? Some old hag hated black, now we hate black? Furthermore, any particular scientific or logical reason why black is bad?

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
Although I do wear black suits (usually if out in the evening and require the use of a suit), I dont quite understand the general loathing for black. There are some here that even hate black shoes.

While it commonly accepted that black anything (apart from shoes perhaps) is bad juju in 99% of occasions, where does this hate come from? Do you all equally hate Black Cars? Black Laptops? Black Bags? Dark sunglasses? Black wristbands? Black TV screen?

The consensus is that black = bad, but where does this arise from? Superstitious victorians? Some old hag hated black, now we hate black? Furthermore, any particular scientific or logical reason why black is bad?

1. Black is the traditional colour of mourning.
2. Black is worn by certain professions - lawyers, priests, undertakers.
3. It hardly goes with anything and is a severe absence of colour.
4. Evening wear is black because it is worn after dark. A normal suit is supposed to be worn largely in the daytime.
5. The 'all black' is worn by teenagers at proms. Therefore it is not appropriate for any grown man.

Barnabus

Reaction score

I don't get it either its hard to go wrong with black

easy to wear and looks sharp

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score

High five black suit while out in the evening buddy.
fistbump.gif

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VelvetGreen
1. Black is the traditional colour of mourning.
2. Black is worn by certain professions - lawyers, priests, undertakers.
3. It hardly goes with anything and is a severe absence of colour.
4. Evening wear is black because it is worn after dark. A normal suit is supposed to be worn largely in the daytime.
5. The 'all black' is worn by teenagers at proms. Therefore it is not appropriate for any grown man.

Point 1 and 2 agreed, although lawyers I know dont do black.

Agree on Point 4, it is the way I wear black. However, many here on Styleforum loathe the black suit or black tux even for evening formal wear. I always thought black suit / tux with white shirt was a fully acceptable evening / night time staple.

Point 3 - black is harder to match for daytime, but night time is a different ballgame. It depends on occasion.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agree on Point 4, it is the way I wear black. However, many here on Styleforum loathe the black suit or black tux even for evening formal wear. I always thought black suit / tux with white shirt was a fully acceptable evening / night time staple.

Point 3 - black is harder to match for daytime, but night time is a different ballgame. It depends on occasion.

If I bought a tux I would do midnight navy. But almost no one would notice I'm not wearing black
laugh.gif

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Barnabus
i think an all black suit can look rather nice

Black.jpg

st_Clooney_narrowweb__300x347,0.jpg

Neither looks good. In part, it's because you can't match blacks. You end up with that "almost" match that drives me up the wall. There's no such thing as black. You're just trying to line up different shades and temperatures of very dark gray.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flartchy
interesting to watch "trads" advise a kid on a prom outfit.

My recommendation? Don't get your style guidelines from people who have no idea about your social milieu. What's cool in London probably ain't cool in Albuquerque, and vice versa.

Come here to learn about fit, terminology, brands, and fabrics.. but as for style, come up with your own.

Perhaps you missed the name of the forum you joined. It's styleforum, not fashionforum, which is what you're arguing he should follow.

And learn what a fecking "trad" is before you use the word. ******* amateurs...

kasakka

Reaction score
Dark blue will usually look blacker than black under artificial lighting. I don't think it's that bad to go all black, but you may want to wear a very different color tie that is a good contrast but not garish. Yes, all black is generally a "gansterish" look but hey, that can be fun at times. Looks best if you have a slim build though, never wear this if you are in any way overweight or look like a bodybuilder. It's certainly only for the young and slim.

As for combining blacks, I think the whole point is that the shirt doesn't quite match because otherwise the whole would look dull.

But for a prom I bet there will be many who have the same idea you do. I'd go with either a navy suit and light blue shirt with either a navy tie (color between the suit and shirt) or something more pronounced like a red tie. Fit is very important.

Alternatively a grey 3 piece suit would probable be more unique, just make sure you buy one that has a more modern cut or it'll look like your dad's suit.

VelvetGreen

Reaction score

In England you'll often find barristers wearing black court suits, or even a black three button suit. Navy blue is also fairly popular.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do an all navy suit, it'll set u apart while not being with the whole black stigma and all.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
came across this pic elsewhere on the boards. Makes me rethink my hate for black on black a bit. I wouldn't try it though.

3387083924_8e68d3d702.jpg

Is that labelking? Well he's a but nutty. Anyway hardcore posing in photographs is quite different from seeing in motion in real life.

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VelvetGreen
In England you'll often find barristers wearing black court suits, or even a black three button suit. Navy blue is also fairly popular.

That's pretty much the case, sort of. If by "often" you mean when you see them at court. Most lawyers (and barristers are only a small proportion of the legal profession here) will wear charcoal, grey or navy. Black is generally for court and even then they might well have a pinstripe.

As for black on black on black. I don't like it, but it's for one night and if you think you'll carry it off, then go for it. Only advice I'd give is that black suit, black shirt and coloured tie is an even worse look and if you're investing in a suit another colour like navy or grey is likely to be more versatile for you in the future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics